Multiple lights and computer boots to black screen (was functioning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishy12

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey,
So I have a PC from cyberpower that has worked great for ~1 year. Recently it started hanging for a long time (up to a couple minutes) when waking up from sleep.

Just a week ago it failed to boot with a DRAM_LED on solid red until I turned it off. On the third attempt it booted slowly but once up it seemed to be functioning normally. Since then I have told it not to hybernate and have been shuting down when I am not using it. On booting the DRAM_LED goes on, then the goes off as the VGA_LED comes on, and finally the VGA_LED goes out just as the BOOT_DEVICE_LED lights up. Each is on for a .5-2 seconds, after which the computer boots and runs completely normally as far as i can tell.

(update)
now same sequence except screen remains black after boot. there is a single beep while the boot_device light is on before it continues to a normal boot. The beep isnt new just forgot to mention it.

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

Specs:
CPU: OEM Intel i7-950 3.06GHZ 8M LGA 1366
RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 1600 MHZ Memory
VIDEO: ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
Hard Drive: 1TB Sata II 3.0GB 7200RPM

Solution

Ya it is true your PSU is on it's way out and having the same brand of PSU you have is not very good at all I waiting for mine to bite the big one. I am babying it to get some life out of it. My next PSU will be a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic and XFX will be one of those brands.

If you want to...

fishy12

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Thanks for the reply.

On the highly embarrassing end, the blank screen was the death of my trusty yet ancient monitor so everything is still running just with the lights and warnings as described.

Power supply is Xtreme Gear 950W
I have not updated drivers in ~6 months but will do that as soon as I get a chance.
Have not monitored temperatures in the past but installed PC Probe that came with the motherboard and will keep that running.

DM186

Splendid

Ya it is true your PSU is on it's way out and having the same brand of PSU you have is not very good at all I waiting for mine to bite the big one. I am babying it to get some life out of it. My next PSU will be a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic and XFX will be one of those brands.

If you want to monitor your temps use MSI Afterburner. And up date your drivers. If your system is not running well it is putting stress on your PSU. Here is a link to MSI Afterburner. Good luck to ya

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.