Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

1st build pc $2000

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 18, 2012 9:37:52 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: (The end of this month/next month but will wait for better tech to come out )

Budget Range: ($1500-2000) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Parts Not Required: (Mouse keyboard speakers )

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ( newegg.com)

Country: ( United States)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe (is this needed?/why would i need it)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (is this needed?/ why would i need it)

Monitor Resolution: -

Additional Comments:

This is my Fist build and i need some advice i want this PC to be a high performance PC that is fast and quiet that can run all of the new games (im not a hardcore gamer but still)
i want the case to have lighting outside and/or inside if that is possible. i want the case to look good as well

Here is a list of parts i have found please tell me if they are any good and if they are what i need and if there is a better alternative Also Please help me choose a case and if i would need an aftermarket CPU cooler and anything else im forgetting Many thanks :

CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MotherBoard:
ASUS P8Z68
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

VideoCard:
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HardDrive:
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power:
CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

that is all i have chosen so far also is blu ray a good investment or should i just get dvd

( will also use this computer for video editing w/large files besides basic home use and gaming :)  )

That is all for now :D 

More about : 1st build 2000

January 18, 2012 10:18:21 PM

Quote:
System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)


I'm not sure what "home" usage implies but I'm betting you don't need a 2600K or 16GB of RAM.

Quote:

This is my Fist build and i need some advice i want this PC to be a high performance PC that is fast and quiet that can run all of the new games (im not a hardcore gamer but still)
i want the case to have lighting outside and/or inside if that is possible. i want the case to look good as well


To me honestly the lighting is the least important aspect of the PC, it's mainly there so people can show it off to the competition.

Quote:
that is all i have chosen so far also is blu ray a good investment or should i just get dvd


Here's the thing - optical drives are pretty much not really a necessity anymore. There's only one really high-end burner and that's the Plextor B950 (Plextor drives are worth it but they generally charge at least 2 -3 times what the competition does). Everything else is pretty much in the $50 - $60 range. But the OEM burners don't include software, and the cost of BD-R playback software is ridiculous ($99 for a license of Total Media Theater 5).

Quote:

Overclocking: Maybe (is this needed?/why would i need it)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (is this needed?/ why would i need it)


If you're new to building systems I'd say skip both of these for now. SLI / Crossfire is a way to hook up multiple GPUs for increased framerates and details. Overclocking is a way to squeeze a few more GHz out of a CPU. It's easy to do but every system is different and will give you different results every time.

Quote:
Approximate Purchase Date: (The end of this month/next month but will wait for better tech to come out )


You don't necessarily have to wait because if you do you'll keep waiting forever. The newer CPUs are just going to be higher clock speeds and maybe a couple of extra cores. The newer GPUs will be a huge improvement over the next generation. But again unless you're running ultra fine details you won't notice a huge difference. Sure the CPUs are nice, but what about motherboards, RAM, HDs, cases, GPUs, and so on? Then you're stuck with a 5-year-old machine while the competition is yelling at you to get off the server.

Try something like this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750W - $129.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - $189.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $229.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $44.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
SSD: 64GB Samsung 830 - $119.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 5400RPM - $124.99
Optical: LG Bulk BD-R Burner - $59.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB - $559.99
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium - $99.99
Monitor: ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" Full HD - $189.99

Total: $1946.28
Score
0
January 18, 2012 10:29:36 PM

First your questions .....

SLI ... why you need it ? Getting one card now but sizing the case and PSU for two cards allows for a easy and inexpensive upgrade down the line.....or..... The premium GFX cards carry quite a price premium. You can buy (2) 560 Ti's for example for about $460 for both and get 862 fps in Guru3D's game test suite or buy one 580 GTX for $500 that gets 40% less at 616 fps. As for the upgrade later thing, in this instance adding the 2nd 580 only gets ya 10% more fps than the two 560 Ti's.

2. Overclocking .... is it needed / why ? Your 2500k comes with a speed of a 3.3 Ghz and turbos up to 3.7 Ghz ..... overclocking with the cooler below will get you to 4.7 Ghz....quite a speed increase. same with the GPU ... the reference speed of the 560 Ti is 820 Mhz .... the factory adds a beefier VRM and over sized cooler and the card clocks in at 950 Mhz ....that's a 16% increase ... peeps have taken it further for as much as a 30% increase.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17


Now for a build

1. Nothing you have listed benefits from Z68....unless you'll sleep better at night having the latest and greatest or if you benefit from one of the features described in the link below ...

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h...

You can save a about $55 this way.....

2. Another $80 in ya pocket dropping to the 2500k since the hyperthreading of the 2600k won't help in any of your listed uses.

$365 for the combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

If ya want Z68

$205 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. Again, can't see you benefiting from 16GB, drop to 8GB and make sure its low profile
$40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. GFX Card is 850 hz outta the box ... this one is 900Mhz outta the box for same price. Can't speak for the EVGA but the 7 phase VRM on the Asus makes it an extreme overclocker. Get two of them and put in SLI for 40% more fps than a GTX 580
2 x $ 230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

5. Twice the storage for same price
$30 off w/ promo code EMCNJJH35, ends 1/18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6. Id get the HX850 for $160 (10.0 jonnyguru rating) or the XFX Core Edition for $90 (9.5 rating)

7. Since ya listed watching movies as one of your uses, Id say get BR player / DVD writer
$8 off with promo code EMCNJJC84, ends 1/23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. SSD - Samsung 830
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9. Cooler - Hyper 612 - $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

10. Case - $125 Corsair 500R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

11. Monitor- $290 Asus 120Hz 3D monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If ya want something with a more aggressive / flashy look, these cases with the CP-850 make for a great build, easy to work in, great cable routing, great cooling and a 10.0 jonnyguru rated PSU that simple has no competition in its price range.

$160 DF-85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
...or
$160 1200 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$120 CP-850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
Related resources
January 19, 2012 4:02:35 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:
System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)


I'm not sure what "home" usage implies but I'm betting you don't need a 2600K or 16GB of RAM.

Quote:

This is my Fist build and i need some advice i want this PC to be a high performance PC that is fast and quiet that can run all of the new games (im not a hardcore gamer but still)
i want the case to have lighting outside and/or inside if that is possible. i want the case to look good as well


To me honestly the lighting is the least important aspect of the PC, it's mainly there so people can show it off to the competition.

Quote:
that is all i have chosen so far also is blu ray a good investment or should i just get dvd


Here's the thing - optical drives are pretty much not really a necessity anymore. There's only one really high-end burner and that's the Plextor B950 (Plextor drives are worth it but they generally charge at least 2 -3 times what the competition does). Everything else is pretty much in the $50 - $60 range. But the OEM burners don't include software, and the cost of BD-R playback software is ridiculous ($99 for a license of Total Media Theater 5).

Quote:

Overclocking: Maybe (is this needed?/why would i need it)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (is this needed?/ why would i need it)


If you're new to building systems I'd say skip both of these for now. SLI / Crossfire is a way to hook up multiple GPUs for increased framerates and details. Overclocking is a way to squeeze a few more GHz out of a CPU. It's easy to do but every system is different and will give you different results every time.

Quote:
Approximate Purchase Date: (The end of this month/next month but will wait for better tech to come out )


You don't necessarily have to wait because if you do you'll keep waiting forever. The newer CPUs are just going to be higher clock speeds and maybe a couple of extra cores. The newer GPUs will be a huge improvement over the next generation. But again unless you're running ultra fine details you won't notice a huge difference. Sure the CPUs are nice, but what about motherboards, RAM, HDs, cases, GPUs, and so on? Then you're stuck with a 5-year-old machine while the competition is yelling at you to get off the server.

Try something like this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750W - $129.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - $189.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $229.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $44.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
SSD: 64GB Samsung 830 - $119.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 5400RPM - $124.99
Optical: LG Bulk BD-R Burner - $59.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB - $559.99
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium - $99.99
Monitor: ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" Full HD - $189.99

Total: $1946.28

ok why wont i need 16 GB it would be faster right? :??: 
Score
0
January 19, 2012 4:03:26 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
First your questions .....

SLI ... why you need it ? Getting one card now but sizing the case and PSU for two cards allows for a easy and inexpensive upgrade down the line.....or..... The premium GFX cards carry quite a price premium. You can buy (2) 560 Ti's for example for about $460 for both and get 862 fps in Guru3D's game test suite or buy one 580 GTX for $500 that gets 40% less at 616 fps. As for the upgrade later thing, in this instance adding the 2nd 580 only gets ya 10% more fps than the two 560 Ti's.

2. Overclocking .... is it needed / why ? Your 2500k comes with a speed of a 3.3 Ghz and turbos up to 3.7 Ghz ..... overclocking with the cooler below will get you to 4.7 Ghz....quite a speed increase. same with the GPU ... the reference speed of the 560 Ti is 820 Mhz .... the factory adds a beefier VRM and over sized cooler and the card clocks in at 950 Mhz ....that's a 16% increase ... peeps have taken it further for as much as a 30% increase.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17


Now for a build

1. Nothing you have listed benefits from Z68....unless you'll sleep better at night having the latest and greatest or if you benefit from one of the features described in the link below ...

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h...

You can save a about $55 this way.....

2. Another $80 in ya pocket dropping to the 2500k since the hyperthreading of the 2600k won't help in any of your listed uses.

$365 for the combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

If ya want Z68

$205 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. Again, can't see you benefiting from 16GB, drop to 8GB and make sure its low profile
$40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. GFX Card is 850 hz outta the box ... this one is 900Mhz outta the box for same price. Can't speak for the EVGA but the 7 phase VRM on the Asus makes it an extreme overclocker. Get two of them and put in SLI for 40% more fps than a GTX 580
2 x $ 230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

5. Twice the storage for same price
$30 off w/ promo code EMCNJJH35, ends 1/18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6. Id get the HX850 for $160 (10.0 jonnyguru rating) or the XFX Core Edition for $90 (9.5 rating)

7. Since ya listed watching movies as one of your uses, Id say get BR player / DVD writer
$8 off with promo code EMCNJJC84, ends 1/23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. SSD - Samsung 830
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9. Cooler - Hyper 612 - $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

10. Case - $125 Corsair 500R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

11. Monitor- $290 Asus 120Hz 3D monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If ya want something with a more aggressive / flashy look, these cases with the CP-850 make for a great build, easy to work in, great cable routing, great cooling and a 10.0 jonnyguru rated PSU that simple has no competition in its price range.

$160 DF-85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
...or
$160 1200 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$120 CP-850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

is a SSD needed why? and i kind of wanted a i7 core
Score
0
January 19, 2012 4:23:27 PM

Quote:
ok why wont i need 16 GB it would be faster right? :??: 


Not necessarily. You really only need a lot of RAM if you're going to be working with big files which most games don't use.

Quote:
is a SSD needed why? and i kind of wanted a i7 core


SSD will make your boot and load times a lot faster. You really only need one as a boot drive (it helps to have your OS and data separate). Then you store everything else on your second and third HDs. The i7-2600K and the i5-2500K are essentially the same CPU in terms of performance. The i7 has a few extra tweaks and hyper threading needed for working with large files (video rendering, CS5, etc). You only need the i7 for that reason, otherwise get the i5.

Quote:

4. GFX Card is 850 hz outta the box ... this one is 900Mhz outta the box for same price. Can't speak for the EVGA but the 7 phase VRM on the Asus makes it an extreme overclocker. Get two of them and put in SLI for 40% more fps than a GTX 580
2 x $ 230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121425
http://www.pureoverclock.com/revie [...] 01&page=17


Maybe I'm a bit naive here but I still don't understand how two 560s are going to top a 7970 in terms of performance.
Score
0
January 19, 2012 8:36:53 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:
ok why wont i need 16 GB it would be faster right? :??: 


Not necessarily. You really only need a lot of RAM if you're going to be working with big files which most games don't use.

Quote:
is a SSD needed why? and i kind of wanted a i7 core


SSD will make your boot and load times a lot faster. You really only need one as a boot drive (it helps to have your OS and data separate). Then you store everything else on your second and third HDs. The i7-2600K and the i5-2500K are essentially the same CPU in terms of performance. The i7 has a few extra tweaks and hyper threading needed for working with large files (video rendering, CS5, etc). You only need the i7 for that reason, otherwise get the i5.

Quote:

4. GFX Card is 850 hz outta the box ... this one is 900Mhz outta the box for same price. Can't speak for the EVGA but the 7 phase VRM on the Asus makes it an extreme overclocker. Get two of them and put in SLI for 40% more fps than a GTX 580
2 x $ 230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121425
http://www.pureoverclock.com/revie [...] 01&page=17


Maybe I'm a bit naive here but I still don't understand how two 560s are going to top a 7970 in terms of performance.

ok but if i have large files so i want the i7 is the motherboard i originally choose good? and for games the graphics card good too or van i get a better one if i want to play the newest games? also should i buy a cpu cooler or just go with the ones it comes with?
thanks :D 
Score
0
January 19, 2012 8:59:19 PM

Quote:

ok but if i have large files so i want the i7 is the motherboard i originally choose good?


Asus boards are good but if you get that model you should get the deluxe version for PCI-E x 3.0.

Quote:
and for games the graphics card good too or van i get a better one if i want to play the newest games?


You really can't go wrong with EVGA - they're one of the best video card makers on the market. The 560TI will last you quite a while. If you wanted to get one better go with the 570.

Quote:
also should i buy a cpu cooler or just go with the ones it comes with?


You are going to hear some drastically different opinions on this one. My personal opinion is that I think that the stock coolers that both AMD and Intel include are flat-out junk. I like to keep my systems cool and I've used a wide variety of fans and heat sinks (I recently had to replace a Silver Arrow due to overheating issues) and some do the great and others are just flat-out awful. If you want some suggestions I will definitely give you some.
Score
0
January 19, 2012 9:03:47 PM

It's simple: If you are not going to do anything other than games and use it for basic home use as well, you should not get the i7-2600k or 16 GB of RAM. The only time you should get the i7 is if you plan to do do intense video editing.
Score
0
January 20, 2012 6:44:42 PM

azeem40 said:
It's simple: If you are not going to do anything other than games and use it for basic home use as well, you should not get the i7-2600k or 16 GB of RAM. The only time you should get the i7 is if you plan to do do intense video editing.

yes i will edit video with special effects and pretty big video files :bounce: 
Score
0
January 20, 2012 6:46:21 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

ok but if i have large files so i want the i7 is the motherboard i originally choose good?


Asus boards are good but if you get that model you should get the deluxe version for PCI-E x 3.0.

Quote:
and for games the graphics card good too or van i get a better one if i want to play the newest games?


You really can't go wrong with EVGA - they're one of the best video card makers on the market. The 560TI will last you quite a while. If you wanted to get one better go with the 570.

Quote:
also should i buy a cpu cooler or just go with the ones it comes with?


You are going to hear some drastically different opinions on this one. My personal opinion is that I think that the stock coolers that both AMD and Intel include are flat-out junk. I like to keep my systems cool and I've used a wide variety of fans and heat sinks (I recently had to replace a Silver Arrow due to overheating issues) and some do the great and others are just flat-out awful. If you want some suggestions I will definitely give you some.

yes please i really want a good cooler :sweat: 
Score
0
January 20, 2012 6:54:17 PM

Dead Pixel said:
yes please i really want a good cooler :sweat: 


My experience with coolers is that I've used several different ones. The ones I've had the best luck with were the Cooler Master Hyper 212 (27'C on idle, 35'C on full use) and the EVGA M020 (30'C on idle, 41'C on full use). Zalman is OK. The ones I've had the worst results with were the Thermalright Silver Arrow (55'C on full use - near 60'C breaking point on most motherboards) and the Xigamtek Gaia (too many CPU temp read errors). I haven't tried a liquid loop like the H100 yet but I'm certainly open to it.

It's pretty much an area where you need to do far more research. I'd suggest reading this article about air cooling: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...
Score
0
January 20, 2012 6:58:38 PM

Dead Pixel said:
yes i will edit video with special effects and pretty big video files :bounce: 

You could have mentioned that in your first post..
Score
0
January 20, 2012 7:02:34 PM

g-unit1111 said:
My experience with coolers is that I've used several different ones. The ones I've had the best luck with were the Cooler Master Hyper 212 (27'C on idle, 35'C on full use) and the EVGA M020 (30'C on idle, 41'C on full use). Zalman is OK. The ones I've had the worst results with were the Thermalright Silver Arrow (55'C on full use - near 60'C breaking point on most motherboards) and the Xigamtek Gaia (too many CPU temp read errors). I haven't tried a liquid loop like the H100 yet but I'm certainly open to it.

It's pretty much an area where you need to do far more research. I'd suggest reading this article about air cooling: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

thanks for the info im still researching all the parts i have found i really want this biuld to be succsessful (even though its my first one) dont want to mess this up :D 
Score
0
January 20, 2012 7:07:56 PM

azeem40 said:
You could have mentioned that in your first post..

i added that right now (though it probably wont effect anything at this point)
Basic rookie mistake :sweat: 
Score
0

Best solution

January 20, 2012 9:23:16 PM

Dead Pixel said:
thanks for the info im still researching all the parts i have found i really want this biuld to be succsessful (even though its my first one) dont want to mess this up :D 



I totally get wanting a build to be successful. It's a lot of trial and error though as you get to a point where you find what works and what doesn't, and what reviews and benchmarks are fabricated and BS and which aren't. The thing is you're pretty much the ultimate decider in what goes into your system, and your system is your system. You want to pick the parts that will make it the best, and on a $2K build you definitely don't want room for error. That's what makes custom PCs so great and sometimes, well, not so great.
Share
January 25, 2012 4:24:10 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I totally get wanting a build to be successful. It's a lot of trial and error though as you get to a point where you find what works and what doesn't, and what reviews and benchmarks are fabricated and BS and which aren't. The thing is you're pretty much the ultimate decider in what goes into your system, and your system is your system. You want to pick the parts that will make it the best, and on a $2K build you definitely don't want room for error. That's what makes custom PCs so great and sometimes, well, not so great.


you said for a better graphics card to go with 570? which one is it exactly (newegg link) :) 
Score
0
February 2, 2012 1:32:51 PM

Best answer selected by Dead Pixel.
Score
0
February 2, 2012 6:16:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!