Your question

New build help

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2012 10:12:32 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking at building a brand new machine next month as I have a little extra cash coming in!

I'm by no means a computer guru, but with that being said, i'm not a noob either, so I will be hoping to get a little advise as I go!

Anyway, these are the main parts I'm hoping to put together and I'm hoping someone can run the rule over them to make sure they are all compatible. (I'm certain they are but there's no harm in someone else checking your work!) On top of this i'm up for recommendations on better parts/cheaper parts that are equally as good.

For the record, Im building a mid range gaming rig and my budget will be no more than £700 (very top end as I have parts already).

Approximate Purchase Date: within the month

Budget Range: £700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, hopefully PSU (but I think ill need a new one, the quicker the reply the better on this as I gave 2 days left to send teh old one back and get a replacement), windows

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.co.uk

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: AMD CPU, MSI GPU, major brands everything else

Overclocking: Yes but not right away

SLI or Crossfire: Yes SLI

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Powerhouse wanted :p 

Parts Im looking at:

Mobo:

ASUS AM3+ SABERTOOTH 990FX S/L

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-SABERTOOTH-990FX-ASUS-AM3/...

Ram:

16GB Corsair Vengeance

GPU:

2x GTX 560 TI TFII - already have 1, so only need to purchase 1 more.

HDD:

I don't know an awful lot about HDD's, I believe I want a 120GB SSD and maybe a 1 TB drive for data storage (I have 1 TB external already as well)

Processor:

I would like a Phenom, doesn't have to set the world on fire, but needs to be powerful enough to not bottleneck the rest of the system

PSU:

I got an OCZ 550w PSU which I only bought a month ago, I'll look at getting something in the 800w mould.

This will be my first full build from start to finish and I'm not expecting an easy ride with it (I'm migrating Win 7 from my old PC which I've heard can be a nightmare), so any advice at all would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance :) 

More about : build

January 18, 2012 10:23:09 PM

forgot to mention, case wise, I was hoping for something different! Was hoping to get an open air style case but the only thing I can really find is the Antec Skeleton. I'm fully open to suggestions on case but the funkier the better!!
January 18, 2012 10:34:47 PM

Quote:
Parts Preferences: by brand or type: AMD CPU, MSI GPU, major brands everything else

Are you necessarily set on AMD? AMD does make some good CPUs but Intel SB will be a lot more future proof.

Quote:

Ram:

16GB Corsair Vengeance

You don't necessarily need 16GB - you can cut that to 8, but definitely get the low profile version if you can.

Quote:
I would like a Phenom, doesn't have to set the world on fire, but needs to be powerful enough to not bottleneck the rest of the system

If you're set on getting a Phenom - go with either the X4-970T or the X6-1100T. Both of those are pretty killer for the price.

Quote:
I got an OCZ 550w PSU which I only bought a month ago, I'll look at getting something in the 800w mould.

550 will be a bit underpowered for SLI'd 560TIs, you'll want at minimum a 750 or 800.

Quote:
forgot to mention, case wise, I was hoping for something different! Was hoping to get an open air style case but the only thing I can really find is the Antec Skeleton. I'm fully open to suggestions on case but the funkier the better!!

I'm not a big fan of "vanity" PC hardware like that. An open-air case is mainly meant for testing components. If you use it long term can ultimately lead your computer shorting out by static electricity (especially if you have pets around your house you don't want their hair getting in your new system). I'd go for something simple like the Corsair Carbide or Fractal Design Arc-MIDI.
January 18, 2012 10:57:49 PM

Thanks for the reply mate.

I'm going with 16gb of ram, It's only £35 difference in price and I have 16GB in the other PC and I like how smooth that one runs :p 

CPU is an interesting one, I've used AMD since the beginning. I remember having an Athlon I years and years ago, replaced this with another Athlon, now I have an Athlon II in this PC and a Phenom II in the other PC :p  I've always been very happy with performance, but I suppose I don't know any different! What could I get instead Intel wise (I have pretty much 0 knowledge of Intel!) and what difference would this make to the other parts selection I was looking at? ie mobo
!