Sign in with
Your question

Recommendation for PSU upgrade?

Last response: in Components
May 1, 2012 8:12:21 PM

Hey all, just bought a new Gateway DX4860 UB33P, but the PSU is very low and, I'm told, of poor quality.

Want to upgrade to a better video card, so a new PSU is needed. Have never bought or installed pc components before. My research suggests a Corsair or Enermax as reliable budget PSU. Found 450ish models for each around 50 bucks.

Are those solid companies? Any others I should be looking at?

Thanks!
May 1, 2012 9:02:54 PM

they are a solid company, as for other company you should be looking at I would suggest seasonic
m
l
May 10, 2012 2:55:17 AM

For a good PSU, I use OCZ. Thermal take and corsair are wonderful too. I recommend a fully modular PSU meaning it comes with all cords necessary to your build, but you only have to plug in cords that are needed.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 2:59:15 AM

For your needs. Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic and select Ocz / Thermaltake/ CM units are good.

As long as you get a good PSU; modular or nonmodular doesn't really matter.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 11:46:03 AM

What GPU do you intend to upgrade to in the future?
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 12:02:57 PM

rbennett1701 said:
Hey all, just bought a new Gateway DX4860 UB33P, but the PSU is very low and, I'm told, of poor quality.

Want to upgrade to a better video card, so a new PSU is needed. Have never bought or installed pc components before. My research suggests a Corsair or Enermax as reliable budget PSU. Found 450ish models for each around 50 bucks.

Are those solid companies? Any others I should be looking at?

Thanks!

OCZ, corsair, and antec have some solid PSU in the $50 range. for $40 this antec PSU will provide efficient power and plenty of it (as much 12v power as many 500w units) to drive most moderate video cards if you plan to game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!