Minimal HTPC build

hoyadub

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I need a very basic HTPC motherboard+proc combo. I don't care if it's AMD or Intel. I want to build the smallest, cheapest HTPC possible. My only requirements are that it plays 1080p video smoothly (including flash video) and that it has onboard HDMI-out (video & audio). Suggestions?

Also, I'd like a forward-facing IR receiver, but that's it. It will be hardwired so no need for wifi. I have a dedicated blu-ray player that I enjoy, so I don't need an optical drive, and I plan to install a very small high-rpm HDD. I'm thinking 2-3gb RAM.

Thanks for any help!

hoyadub

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

id settle for something the size of 1-2 gamecubes (as a point of reference)

hoyadub

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

If it's necessary to get what I want, yah. For some reason, in my mind, it seems like I should be able to get away with $300-$400, but I'm not really sure.

bliq

Distinguished
AMD E350 based. I built mine for less than $300.
mobo/E350 was about $80. has HDMI and USB3 I think. also includes silent HSF for the low wattage proc. bought from Amazon, must have been on sale or something.
$20 for 4GB of Microcenter RAM DDR3-1333
$80 for 60GB Agility 3 SSD from microcenter
$40 for the case w/PSU from amazon
$20 for the DVD-RW from microcenter

it's tiny and quiet. AMD 6330 onboard graphics. pretty great, but I replaced it with a Roku and have been happy.

Oh, and the case is about the size of a shoe box. 200W psu is enough power for this guy.