Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 18, 2012 10:43:35 PM

Hi all, I am going to be getting a pc made for gaming on a budget and need to know if this build will be suffice for the next 3 years with overclocking of cpu and gpu(s).
The build is:
Intel core i5 2500k-$229
Mobo: asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3-$134
HDD: seagate barracuda green 2tb-$129 (dont know if this is any good)
optical drive: lg dvd burner (gh24ns70)-$25
RAM: G.skill ddr3 8gb (2x4gb) pc-12800/1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL-$49
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia gtx 560 oc 1gb-$193 (will sli in future)
CASE:Antec 300-$60.5
psu: Antec continuous power 850w-$145.2
I woulkd get this built at centrecom in Australia, victoria for $125 with windows 7 and a 24 inch 1080p monitor all up for $1367.70 australian dollars.
I don't have much experience with making computers, I have only pulled apart and put back together computers but dont want to stuff anything up, this is why it is getting made. :) 

More about : gaming build

January 18, 2012 10:51:32 PM

That looks really good actually.

The Barracuda should be a fine drive, but don't get a green HD as the 5400 RPM will be a huge bottleneck. Maybe drop that down to a 1TB and get a faster 7200RPM drive.

The 560TI is a good choice but go with EVGA if they're available.

I also don't see a cooler listed but that's something you should consider if going i5-2500K.

The Antec 300 is a good choice but it lacks cable management features and a CPU retention hole which will make mounting coolers difficult. Try the Cooler Master HAF 912 if it's available.
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:02:42 PM

g-unit1111 said:
That looks really good actually.

The Barracuda should be a fine drive, but don't get a green HD as the 5400 RPM will be a huge bottleneck. Maybe drop that down to a 1TB and get a faster 7200RPM drive.

The 560TI is a good choice but go with EVGA if they're available.

I also don't see a cooler listed but that's something you should consider if going i5-2500K.

The Antec 300 is a good choice but it lacks cable management features and a CPU retention hole which will make mounting coolers difficult. Try the Cooler Master HAF 912 if it's available.

I will change the hdd and there is no option on their website to put in a cooler, so I assume it comes with a stock one. Will I be able to oc the gpu and cpu with this mobo effectively?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 18, 2012 11:07:30 PM

hamishw96 said:
I will change the hdd and there is no option on their website to put in a cooler, so I assume it comes with a stock one. Will I be able to oc the gpu and cpu with this mobo effectively?


If you're going to OC you'll definitely need a good cooler. I've heard of people taking the 2500K to speeds beyond 4.5 with the stock cooler but I'm not sure how reliable / accurate those reports are.
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:09:45 PM

If you plan on overclocking, get an aftermarket cooler like this one. I've read many good things about it.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+ $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is the case g-unit1111 referenced.

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Crucial has some of the lowest failure rates for RAM. Also suggesting an alternative DVD burner that can save a few bucks if it makes any difference to you.

Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM $18.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: Sorry, I just caught the part about you being in Australia. These links are probably worthless to you.
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:13:37 PM

make sure the graphic card is a ti !!!!
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:21:53 PM

So in other words get an aftermarket cooler and different case and will be all good?
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:23:43 PM

The cooler master haf 912 advanced is $60 more than the antec 300, is it worth it?
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:26:29 PM

What site are you looking at? On newegg, it says the haf 912 is about the same price as the antec 300. I suppose if you aren't building it, it doesn't really matter for you as much. :D  Both cases should be fine.
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:29:36 PM

hpdeskjet said:
What site are you looking at? On newegg, it says the haf 912 is about the same price as the antec 300. I suppose if you aren't building it, it doesn't really matter for you as much. :D  Both cases should be fine.

I am on the website Of the store that is making the computer, centrecom.com.au
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:34:40 PM

Ah ok. Looks like they don't have a regular (?) haf 912. I think you will be OK going with the Antec 300. Just get the aftermarket cooler and everything else looks good.
m
0
l
January 18, 2012 11:49:15 PM

hpdeskjet said:
Ah ok. Looks like they don't have a regular (?) haf 912. I think you will be OK going with the Antec 300. Just get the aftermarket cooler and everything else looks good.

should I get the 300 or the 100, there is only an 8 dollar price difference, the 300 being cheaper?
m
0
l

Best solution

January 18, 2012 11:55:17 PM

I'd get the Antec 300. The Ti is also better in terms of performance.

Edit: I don't think you will be very disappointed if you chose the non Ti though. Your system looks pretty good already.
Share
January 19, 2012 12:09:36 AM

hpdeskjet said:
I'd get the Antec 300. The Ti is also better in terms of performance.

Edit: I don't think you will be very disappointed if you chose the non Ti though. Your system looks pretty good already.

should I get this card instead, it has a faster core speed (900 mhz) but dont know how many cuda cores
http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/n56gso-gigabyte-nvi...
m
0
l
January 19, 2012 12:36:26 AM

That looks the same as the EVGA. On newegg, the EVGA offers a lifetime warranty while the Gigabyte is only 3 years.
m
0
l
January 19, 2012 8:06:32 PM

Best answer selected by Hamishw96.
m
0
l
!