Issue with Gateway NV79 and wireless bottleneck.

wkizzle

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
I recently purchased a Gateway NV79 Laptop with the Intel i3core. I noticed immediately that, when using wireless in my home, I only was able to transfer at speeds of around 7-9 Mbps, when the average speed in my house is about 24-25 Mbps. I went into Device Manager and noticed that the Network adapter was set at 802.11b preamble, and could not be changed (unlike in my other laptop here at home where I have the option to change it). I figured there was something wrong with the adapter, so I swapped it with an Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter. Same result. Figured there was some configuration issue within Windows that was causing the problem, and I had already planned to wipe the system anyways, so I did just that. I formatted the drive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). Still, with both Wireless Adapters, I get the same slow speeds and am unable to change it from b to b/g or b/g/n. I am now assuming it is a hardware issue (i.e.: motherboard), or a potential BIOS issue.

Has anyone here ran into this before and did you find a solution?

Thanks!

-JR

wkizzle

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

Yes.

I should have also pointed out that the wired onboard NIC/Ethernet Controller allowed me to access the full potential of my connection when I plugged it into the router or into any of the several networking outlets in my home.

JR-