Saving pics from the web

Hi, I have been saving pics from the web for a long time to use as wallpaper
but for some reason no matter what the image property is (jpeg, gif, bitmap,
etc.) windows xp wants to default save it as a bitmap. If I add the extension
..jpg or other I am not able to open it with anything but paint. Can I change
this default and if so, how?
Thanks,
Philip

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

They are all being saved as BMPs because your cache is full. Empty it. Rt
click the IE icon, select Properties > Temporary Internet Files > Delete
Files...

"pridham66" <pridham66@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have been saving pics from the web for a long time to use as
> wallpaper
> but for some reason no matter what the image property is (jpeg, gif,
> bitmap,
> etc.) windows xp wants to default save it as a bitmap. If I add the
> extension
> .jpg or other I am not able to open it with anything but paint. Can I
> change
> this default and if so, how?
> Thanks,
> Philip

Phillip-

It'd be nice if cleaning the cache alone (TIFs) would rememdy this age old
problem, but it often won't.

MSFT's 2 KBs on this common age-old problem is:

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650

It's not always easy to solve it per the KBs and that's one reason why 3rd
party converters flourish:

Convert bmp to jpeg google:
http://tinyurl.com/4yho6

Chad Harris