Solved

Sub $700 gaming pc build

Het, I'm new to computer building and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I have a prts list and I am completely open to suggestions.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1~2 months from now

Budget Range: < $700 before rebate

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, editing photos (nothing extreme), youtube

Parts Not Required: Moniter, keyboard, mouse, disc drive.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon + newegg. (I have a $100 amazon card and a $25 newegg card)

Country: U.S

Parts Preferences: none really...

Overclocking: maybe

SLI or Crossfire: maybe in the future when I've got enough/if my cpu won't bottleneck it.

Monitor Resolution: no idea...

Additional Comments: I wouldn't like a gpu below a gtx 550 ti... otherwise none. Thx for the help :)
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming build
  1. Can't really suggest anything if your going to wait a month or two. Ivy Bridge is coming March/April and AMD 7000 series is continuously being released.
  2. bobochez said:

    Monitor Resolution: no idea...
    Additional Comments: I wouldn't like a gpu below a gtx 550 ti... otherwise none. Thx for the help :)
    Below GTX 550ti and you plan to game? Explain further please.
    Check your monitor resolution for us please.
  3. An i3-2100 would probably fit the bill for ya.
  4. WR2 said:
    Below GTX 550ti and you plan to game? Explain further please.
    Check your monitor resolution for us please.


    He said he WOULDN'T like anything below a 550 ti.
  5. That makes a lot more sense, doesn't it?
  6. Yep.
  7. CPU: Intel core i3 2120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077 - 130$

    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948 - 145$ with rebates

    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767 - 85$

    Mobo: ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 - 122$

    RAM: Kingston HyperX Grey Series 8GB DDR3 1600MHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104239 - 45$

    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 - 50$ with rebates

    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430 430w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034&Tpk=Antec%20earthwatts%20430 - 60$

    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326987145&sr=8-1 - 100$

    PC - 737$

    Not really sub-700$ but i'd say worth 35 bucks.
  8. Linguo_bastardo said:
    CPU: Intel core i3 2120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077 - 130$

    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948 - 145$ with rebates

    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767 - 85$

    Mobo: ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 - 122$

    RAM: Kingston HyperX Grey Series 8GB DDR3 1600MHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104239 - 45$

    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 - 50$ with rebates

    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430 430w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034&Tpk=Antec%20earthwatts%20430 - 60$

    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326987145&sr=8-1 - 100$

    PC - 737$

    Not really sub-700$ but i'd say worth 35 bucks.


    Looks like a sweet build; although some things are being over paid for.

    Although it is most convenient and safest to buy all the parts at once, it is rarely the cheapest.
    I bought my parts through Newegg, but because I didn't buy all at once I was able to make use of some coupon codes.
    You can sometimes get a coupon code due to buying a certain part. One code got me 10% off memory,
    the other got me 10% off an entire order.

    If trying to save money, NEVER buy a CPU unless it has some form of sale. Newegg seems to place an LGA 1155 on sale every other week, so just watch for one. I paid about $103 for my i3-2100, and $77 for my 500GB Seagate Hard Drive on Newegg. Both were brand new. I paid $180 with shipping, and it would have normally cost $210

    Just a word of advice. :)
  9. Oh yeah, i forgot about those newegg coupons and rebates. Well, he has 2 months, so that should be enough time to get some sweet deals on those domponents.

    EDIT: He should get the case now, usually it's 60$ ( i think ). Also, i doubt that Radeon is going to get cheapher.
  10. Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model $40
    LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner 22X $18
    i5 2400 $190
    SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 $165
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s $70
    COOLER MASTER Elite 430 $55
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB $100
    Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS $60

    Total: $698
  11. Newegg does not charge tax on their products. Amazon does.............
  12. For gaming go with the i3 2120. Open window to upgrade to a i5 2500k or Ivy Bridge with a Z68 or P67 motherboard if you ever choose to do so.
  13. wreck6969 said:
    Newegg does not charge tax on their products. Amazon does.............
    NewEgg does charge tax on their products. http://www.newegg.com/Info/Tax FAQ
    Amazon might not charge sales tax: Orders Subject to Sales Tax
  14. With 3 fans already in your NZXT ZERO 2 case you can safely leave the CM fans off your shopping list. Once you have your system up and running, do some stress testing (ie, gaming) and let the system temps guide you on where more fans are even necessary. My guess is they wont be needed.
  15. X4 960T CPU / ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ 970 MB / SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 combo is a good one.
    One trick I use to match parts is to read the NewEgg customer comments. And check the motherboard and see what RAM choices people used successfully. Both Corsair Vengeance and Gskill Ripjaws were mentioned as working OK. Either one is OK.

    I can't find any independent reviews showing that Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W PSU is a good one. It happened to be on sale @ NewEgg a while back for $34. On Amazon you missed a $20 rebate by a few weeks. I'm thinking this is too much for a middle-quality PSU. I'll look around for better options.
  16. Best answer
    A good value right now: OCZ ZS Series 750W $99 with $25 rebate and $20 NewEgg gift card & free shipping.
    About $55 as final cost.
    It gets a reasonable performance review from Tweaktown.
    Best price on Amazon I saw was $75 a/r.

    Another good value: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $90 with $30 rebate and $10 off with Promo code EMCNJHF42.
  17. wreck6969 said:
    Newegg does not charge tax on their products. Amazon does.............


    Newegg Taxed me last time I ordered there and amazon did not.
  18. @ bobochez
    You figured out why, right?
  19. WR2 said:
    @ bobochez
    You figured out why, right?


    They (amazon) only tax a couple of states, of which California is not one. Newegg only taxes to a couple states as well, and california is on that list. So yes, pardon my ignorance, you could get taxed by both, or by neither one. Just depends where you live.
  20. Also free shipping with amazon :D
  21. Smart shoppers look at all the angles.
    Now if they could only make the #$# rebates easier.
  22. Quote:
    A good value right now: OCZ ZS Series 750W $99 with $25 rebate and $20 NewEgg gift card & free shipping.
    and four! PCI-e power leads for that possible 2nd graphics card.
  23. is 550w enough to run this computer?
  24. Yes it is. However, 650W is a safer bet.
  25. ok I need some more help :( will all the previously mentioned parts (with this psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018 ) fit into a cooler master 430 case? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O8J11E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  26. Best answer selected by bobochez.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product