New Homebuild - PC Case Fan Sounds Weird

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I just finished my build in which many of you have helped me finally complete. I wanted to say thank you to everyone! :bounce:

As I booted up my PC once everything was input into my case, the back case fan sounded very weird....almost as if it was a hum instead of full power. Here is the video: http://youtu.be/voJLoudvvxs

Here are my specs:

CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
RAM - GSkill Rip Jaws 4GBX2
PSU: Antec BP550
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB
Monitor: Samsung SynchMaster E2420

Thanks again everyone!

Sounds to me like a bad bearing. See if you can RMA the case fan (dont bother the whole case as you can buy a very nice case fan for the price of shipping the case). You can also try (while it is on) holding the fan still and pushing the fan firmly towards the fan housing (don't force it, but just see if maybe it is a simple miss-alignment from shipping). If RMAing the single fan, or the realignment trick does not work then just buy a new fan. Even the best fans are only $20, and you can get some really nice ones for $5-10 each. Look for something quiet, but with good airflow.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Is that the only fan in the case? It sounds like the fan blades are hitting something.

Try stopping the fan for a moment by putting your finger on the center just hard enough to make it stop. Does the sound go away and then restart when you release it? Assuming yes, you could try adding a washer between each of the corners of the fan and the case to create a little clearance. Using vibration reducing rubber fan screws may also help.

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for your response. That is not the only fan in the case. I also have one near the front. I can give that a try though. I feel like it should be more quiet.

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks. I read somewhere that it is common for case fans to have bad bearings.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you want a good, powerful & quiet case fan (120mm or 140 mm) you should consider one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998%2050013802&IsNodeId=1&name=COUGAR. If you want something cheaper try Xigmatek.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I did a little thinking about your problem and I realized that the direction you have the fan mounted probably wouldn't be hitting anything on the case. However, I still think it's a good idea to take a close look at it to make sure there are no cables or bits of plastic that could be hitting the fan blades. If you find a bit of plastic you could scrape it off with a knife. Just be careful to verify that your not scraping any wires.

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I plan to take a look at it. Should I not run the PC until i replace the fan with this sound? or will it be fine?

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. If I do have to replace it, will definitely keep this in mind.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

As long as it is not hitting something crucial such as a wire, I wouldn't worry about anything getting damaged. After all, it is still moving air which is what you need. Go ahead and use it but keep an eye (or Ear) on it to make sure it doesn't get stopped which would cause the heat in your case to increase. ATM the biggest problem you have is the annoying sound.

mfj1985

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"You can also try (while it is on) holding the fan still and pushing the fan firmly towards the fan housing (don't force it, but just see if maybe it is a simple miss-alignment from shipping"

Did you try this? it is pretty common and usually does the trick