Sign in with
Your question

A fair few questions before I go buy components for my new system!

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2012 4:16:14 AM

Hi folks, I've been looking into spending on a new system since a while. Since I need to use a lot of 3dsmax, Revit, photoshop and mostly graphical intensive programs, I'm targeting my new system as a 3d rendering terminal more than video gaming machine (I will be playing games on it too, frequently). Also I do plan to water cool it eventually, if not right away.

So here's what I have in mind for now:

CPU: Core i7 960
GPU: (2) Gigabyte GTX580 SLI
Mobo: Gigabyte GI Guerrilla x58 1366
Ram: Patriot Viper2 Sector7 12gb
Case: NZXT Phantom white OR NZXT H2.

Here are the questions:

1. Now that the LGA2011 is here, I'm tempted to buy Core i7 3930k instead of 960. Is it worth it? Because I'd have to spend more on an 2011 motherboard too if I do get the 3930k. I mean, for mostly 3d rendering applications.

2. Both of those PC cases I mentioned don't have a side window. But they look very decent though and may just go for one of them (Leaning towards the H2. Love its minimal look). Any good looking cases you guys can recommend for me to get, that have a large side window?

3. Since I'd be having 2 GTX580s in SLI, would they run fine at stock speed and not overheat? Also, how much minimum power supply would you recommend for the setup in general?

4. Would it be worth water cooling this system? Because I'd want to overclock it later, maybe not right away after I buy it.

Thanks folks, replies would be heaps appreciated! :D 
January 19, 2012 4:58:45 AM

1. X58 is a dead platform. So your two choices are LGA1055 or the upscale LGA2011.

2. I am not a fan of side windows even though my Antec came with them. Don't dislike them. They are just not particularly usefulto me. First, I have 3 systems in my home network sitting side by side so two windows are masked by the other computers. Second, I spend much more using them than I do looking at them.

3. Power requirements: a pair of 580's will pull about 40 amps peaking to 50.
CPU - about 10 amps. The rest of the system - figure about 150 watts. I'd estimate total max power load at around 850 watts. Minimum PSU assuming you are not going to be running at full load all the time would be a good 1000 Watt PSU. I'd probably put a 1200 watt PSU into such a build.

4. If you mean the relatively inexpensive prepackaged water coolers, I don't think so. The more expensive custom water coolers, especially if you water cool the GPU's, would be a different matter.
m
l
January 19, 2012 5:01:49 AM

The Core i7 960 is old tech and so is the 1366 motherboard that houses it. Unless I missed a memo, the 1366 will not upgrade to the new Intel Ivy Bridge tech.

Instead, get a i7-2600 CPU, and a Gigabyte or ASUS Z68 motherboard. The motherboards will handle next generation Intel CPU's also. These boards will work. Note: if you plan on upgrading to the next gen PCIe video cards, you would need a mobo that supports it. This would be a good choice for now and later. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for your programs, I do not use them but understand they like lot's of ram. A 2x8gb kit of DDR 3 1333 would be nice, although 8gb is more of a gaming standard these days. 16gb - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ,or 8gb - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for power, a good quality 850 watt or better from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, or XFX, Couger, and either Bronze or gold certified would be preferred. Like these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

XFX is having good sales right now trying to build their brand up. Nothing wrong with them.

You could water cool, but a good air cooler will be plenty. These are very popular and on sale. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cases are more of a personal preference thing, but you would want a decent full tower, with at least three 120mm fans. One in front blowing in, one rear and one top blowing out.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2012 7:32:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback folks!

I've built my new system and here are the specs!

CPU: Core i7 2700k LGA1155
GPU: 2 Gigabyte GTX570s for SLI
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 deluxe Gen3
Ram: Corsair 16G 1600C9 Vengeance
Case: Corsair 600T White
HDDs: 2 1TBs (Extracted from older PC, didn't get new ones)
m
l
January 26, 2012 7:38:02 AM

You did not mention PSU. Hope you got a good one.

Everything else looks great. It should last a while.
m
l
January 26, 2012 7:38:28 AM

Dont get riped of by the 2700k its just comes with a 100mhz stock clock over the 2600k so just change the multiplyer on the 2600k .1 and BAM 2700k
m
l
January 26, 2012 7:41:06 AM

Oh, I got the SilverStone Strider Gold 1200W modular PSU. It's pretty great. I was going to go for 1000w but I knew sooner or later I'd be putting in liquid cooling so why not just get the 1200W right now. I couldn't afford Corsair or Coolermaster :( 
m
l
!