Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recommend an Air cooling solutoin for moderate OC's on AMD FX8120

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2012 1:20:37 AM

Hello fellow overclockers! Just got a new rig up and running, and would like to get rid of this stock cooler for amd, although it's a nice design with 6 heatpipes, I'm not satisfied with the idle temp.

I've currently got it oc'd from 3.1Ghz to 3.999 to 4.0ghz using the Easy tune just to see if it's stable- results look good so far.

I'd like to ask you guys what you would recommend for this setup, I heard with Liquid nitrogen this badboy got up to 8.42ghz, I'll probably go liquid cooling in the future, but for now i'd like a solid Air based cooling setup.

I'm also concerned about my NB and SB temps as well - any thoughts on an aftermarket setup even thoug the heatstinks on my board look pretty beefy.
May 2, 2012 3:51:43 AM

Cooler master hyper 212 evo. It is easy to install, awesome performance and you can even add an extra 140mm fan for push, pull config
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 2, 2012 4:06:02 AM

Definitly a Hyper 212 and if you have the room I would do a push pull configuration.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 2, 2012 4:34:25 AM

Quote:
8.42ghz on one core.

Yeah, nice as 8+ GHz looks, that system could have probably been outperformed by a Core i3 2120 and definitely killed by a Core i5 2400. One core doesn't get you much these days, especially if it's an AMD core (not to mention a Bulldozer "core").
Score
May 2, 2012 1:38:02 PM

Well, when an intel cpu sets a word record, we should ask a 3rd party to benchmark them and find out who does better :kaola: 
Score
May 2, 2012 2:06:05 PM

tha_vice said:
Well, when an intel cpu sets a word record, we should ask a 3rd party to benchmark them and find out who does better :kaola: 

Nicely said :D 
Score
May 2, 2012 2:12:08 PM

nh d14
Score
May 2, 2012 2:44:13 PM

What is a nh d14?
Score
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 3:09:17 PM

He is refering to the Noctua, they are rather expensive and have other considerations to make i.e space/dimensions but it is a impressive cooler in any regard.

I have had great success with Zalmans, the CNPS 11X is impressive and the 12X betters it.
Score
May 2, 2012 3:25:53 PM

tha_vice said:

You do know that comparing clock speeds between chip manufacturers is like comparing apples to oranges...

A higher clock frequency does not mean that a chip performs better. Take the lowly i3 2100 that goes for $120 at newegg vs the FX 4170 which sells for $140 at newegg.
i3 2100 stock speed = 3.1 Ghz
FX 4170 stock speed = 4.2 Ghz
difference 1100 Mhz

And yet the i3 2100 at stock speeds outperforms an FX 4170 in gaming even when the FX is overclocked.

The FX 4170 is AMDs flagship gaming processor to boot...

Back on the subject... The Hyper 212+ is great at $30-$40. The Noctua NH-D14 is better but is quite a bit more expensive $80-$90. The Noctua is also an ugly brown beige color...
Score
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 3:33:17 PM

This thread is going to turn into another Intel circlejerk, and this from a thread on cooling.

And to the OP, the 8150 was taken to 8.42ghz on LN2 on a single core, I have seen a FX on LN2 taken to around 6.3ghz (4100), never seen a FX 81XX series on LN2 but I think it will be less as there are more cores.
Score
May 2, 2012 3:41:33 PM

sarinaide said:
This thread is going to turn into another Intel circlejerk, and this from a thread on cooling.

And to the OP, the 8150 was taken to 8.42ghz on LN2 on a single core, I have seen a FX on LN2 taken to around 6.3ghz (4100), never seen a FX 81XX series on LN2 but I think it will be less as there are more cores.

I did address the OPs question... After the circlejerk...

Besides it's not really a cirdle jerk if you have no one to share it with...

Edit: NVM... aicom and recon were with me... How embarrassing
Score
May 2, 2012 7:22:02 PM

I'd rather have a mod close this topic, if this is how it's gonna be everytime I ask for help because I'm using an FX processor.
Score
May 2, 2012 8:11:03 PM

2 cores

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20110913055705...

Also the chip haden't even been released on the market yet.

I'd love to see an intel chip push 5ghz *pre IB* *air-cooled* without blowing up.

Apples to oranges it may be, but lets get our facts str8. Intel currenlty does not have an 8 core processor for under 300$

the intel Extereme core i-7's which is their flagship, got out performed in extermeme benchmark tests by the 8150 oc'd , the rest of the tests were hair-line marjins.

So you can shell out 1k for a proc or 189$ and get Thomahawk class Bang-for-your-buck performance.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 2, 2012 8:26:37 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see an intel chip push 5ghz *pre IB* *air-cooled* without blowing up.

5Ghz on air with a SB CPU is easy, so I don't know what you're going on about with that. As for your "pre IB" comment, it's Ivy that will have problems getting to 5Ghz on air...
Score
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 8:27:18 PM

as for your original question, the 212 EVO is the best valued cooler out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The noctua might be slightly better ~2 degrees. not worth adding $60 to the bill.

This website does considerable testing on cpu coolers

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Titan-Fenrir-Sib...

And that is one .... unique cpu cooler ... does pretty good to, giving the A70 water cooler a challenge, but still overpriced.
Score
May 2, 2012 9:29:12 PM

Off Topic: I took my SB up to 4.9 Ghz stable on a Corsair H70 with hours of tweaking. It scared me so I dropped it down to 4.75 Ghz and I have now settled on 4.6 Ghz because I want it to last a while.

Also I think it is great that the OP is trying to push the FX as far as it can go. I really was hoping BD was going to be the kickarse CPU it was hyped up to be. Most of my PC building life I have been anti-Intel. I've been an AMD fanboi for a long time. I used to build PCs with Cyrix chips before that. It is just that during this last round of PC CPU batles AMD got beat up real bad and I couldn't justify buying there CPUs...

On topic: The H70 isn't really a true liquid system and it performs similiarly to the best air solutions.
I have used the CM Hyper 212+ with great success on both AMD and Intel procs. I also have used the CM TX series with decent results. More expensive coolers do eek out better performance but at a high cost. I mean getting 2 degrees less for $50 more isn't a very good tradeoff
Score
May 2, 2012 9:43:45 PM

Guys, lets not forget who started this. I'd love to get back on topic and appreicate the help, but I find it disrespectful to have to comment in an "intel fan-boy" fashion, and then grimmace when you get a rebuttle.

If you're looking for an AMD fan to rage, and get trolled by intel fanatics you're wasting your time - I'm just stating facts.

Don't bash my rig I wont bash yours.

Again you're comparing a 1,000.00$ USD processor to a 180-200$ processor, and for the 800 dollars you save, both the real-world results, and benchmarks are trivial at best.

I think it's shamefull intel doesn't blow the FX8xxx series away with their UBER proc, but they only manage to score 20-40 more points in most cases.

Amd will always be the best bang for buck.

Back on topic: I'm going to push it to 5ghz and see what the results are - liquid cooling or not, but I notice a significan't boost to performance when Oc'd. I really like the heatsink/ fan solutions you guys have linked thus far.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 2, 2012 9:55:02 PM

OK, if you want the best air cooler, go with the Noctua D14. For the best closed loop water cooler, go with the Corsair H100. /End Thread
Score
May 2, 2012 10:30:23 PM

Quote:
All the info is here for you now, lets end this thread without the need of an argument.

+1
It makes sense that the frequency record was made on two cores. The FX modules have 2 cores each and while you can turn off modules in the FX architecture you can't shut down individual cores on a module.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong...
Score
May 2, 2012 10:34:52 PM

I think you mis-understand the point, i've been talking about Flagship Vs. Flagship not your setup Vs. mine.

Which again if you bothered to look at my links, is what I was referring to.

And i'm not trying to start an argument either, when you chimed in with the " One core", it sound like an angry intel fan. I'm referring to an AMD FX 8150 Vs intel i7 extreme edition processor.

1000 vs 219 and the bench marks are marginal at best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this proc 1k

look at part 12 in this review

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_fx8150/12.h... look at the extreme stock benchmarks

This little 219 proc gains 10 points higher in a few tests and falls behinid by 20-40 in the others lol factor?

So why are there so many arugments that intel vs amd - INTEL is better becuz their procs score 20 points higher?

their flagship which costs a pretty penny can only beat it's competition by margins... that's my point entirely. Flagship vs Flagship i'd save my money and go with something that's going to potentially give you more "real world performance".
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 2, 2012 10:47:11 PM

Um, you're aware that that's comparing the last gen i7 Extreme right? But enough of this foolishness. You have the answer(s) to you original question in this thread already now, so time to move along...
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 2, 2012 11:25:51 PM

Quote:
The 2500k beats the 990x in everything outside of heavily threaded apps for $220.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, and that the 3960X (if he wants to talk about flagships) would just be that much better, but I'm not sure the OP sees it that way.
Score
May 3, 2012 1:31:35 AM

tha_vice said:
I think you mis-understand the point, i've been talking about Flagship Vs. Flagship not your setup Vs. mine.

Which again if you bothered to look at my links, is what I was referring to.

And i'm not trying to start an argument either, when you chimed in with the " One core", it sound like an angry intel fan. I'm referring to an AMD FX 8150 Vs intel i7 extreme edition processor.

1000 vs 219 and the bench marks are marginal at best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this proc 1k

look at part 12 in this review

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_fx8150/12.h... look at the extreme stock benchmarks

This little 219 proc gains 10 points higher in a few tests and falls behinid by 20-40 in the others lol factor?

So why are there so many arugments that intel vs amd - INTEL is better becuz their procs score 20 points higher?

their flagship which costs a pretty penny can only beat it's competition by margins... that's my point entirely. Flagship vs Flagship i'd save my money and go with something that's going to potentially give you more "real world performance".

The problem with your argument is you don't have to go higher then a I7 2600k to best the FX 8150
and it doesn't cost anywhere's near a 1,000 dollars.
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2012 2:14:41 AM

tha_vice said:

First off all that world record is the biggest fraud going and you fell for it. It's more of a fraud than AMD's claim to making the first true 8 core processor (bet you fell for that one too.) They only had one "core" running not four. Secondly despite all the hype the fact is AMD's flagship CPU still get's beaten out by a dual core I3 and is only equal in performance to a Core 2 Duo.
Score
a c 124 à CPUs
May 3, 2012 2:21:31 AM

tha_vice said:
Well, when an intel cpu sets a word record, we should ask a 3rd party to benchmark them and find out who does better

Setting a world record on overclock is a hollow victory when the competitor's mid-range CPUs still have better real-world performance in most benchmarks even at stock clocks, which is what matters most for everyday use.
Score
May 3, 2012 3:11:22 AM

lol @ you guys and this thread. Why am I raging?

This always happens with AMD crowd vs. Intel crowd.

I never purchased the fx series processor because they set a record, I found that out after the fact. Aparently you guys want someone to rage for your own forum posting pleasure, and it's simply not happening. So by all means troll until you go :pt1cable:  .

I make statement about this chip's oc'ing potential, and get a bunch of flames. I say " intel fan-boys" because you guys are the only ones that are going to waste their time bashing Amd's accomplishments saying it's a fraud, hollow victory or the like. I think the only rage here is you guys having to turn a discussion about Heatsink fan solutions into an AMD sucks thread.

Request for topic close. :sleep: 
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2012 3:17:29 AM

tha_vice said:
lol @ you guys and this thread. Why am I raging?

This always happens with AMD crowd vs. Intel crowd.

I never purchased the fx series processor because they set a record, I found that out after the fact. Aparently you guys want someone to rage for your own forum posting pleasure, and it's simply not happening. So by all means troll until you go :pt1cable:  .

I make statement about this chip's oc'ing potential, and get a bunch of flames. I say " intel fan-boys" because you guys are the only ones that are going to waste their time bashing Amd's accomplishments saying it's a fraud, hollow victory or the like. I think the only rage here is you guys having to turn a discussion about Heatsink fan solutions into an AMD sucks thread.

Request for topic close. :sleep: 

Accomplishments, since when is making a CPU that runs hotter and slower than previous generations an accomplishment? :pfff:  :non: 
Score
May 3, 2012 3:21:00 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Oh, I'm well aware of that, and that the 3960X (if he wants to talk about flagships) would just be that much better, but I'm not sure the OP sees it that way.

still 1k $$

I really think you guys are just mad AMD has a world record and intel dosen't - why all this disrespect and trolling?
Score
May 3, 2012 3:27:07 AM

And back on topic, I'm going to push all 8 cores of this thing until it blows :) 
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2012 3:27:07 AM

It's not trolling if it's truth. Yes, the 3960X is a $1K chip, BUT the fact still remains that a 2500K ($220) still beats the FX-8150 at the same price point in almost everything.
Score
May 3, 2012 3:27:59 AM

I say trolling because so far no one has posted any links to verify the claims, in fact I'm the only one that did.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2012 3:38:19 AM

I just want to add that I'm kinda like recon in that I'm not a fanboy of either side. In fact, up until my current build, I've always gone with AMD, but the 2500K is just too good to pass up, at its price.
Score
May 3, 2012 4:47:13 AM

tha_vice said:
yeah maybe the discussion got out of hand. I would like to add an LOL to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... look at the Free promo offer " rage". :D 

You want to see something funny here run these benchmarks and post them in the forum, if you
believe your system to be so powerful, this is the lol moment i know you won't run and post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] ark-thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] aven-basic
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] nch-thread

and a 5th somewhere, I think it's linked on one of these.
Score
May 3, 2012 5:34:02 AM

Quote:
The FX 8150 levelled my 2500k in cinebench........

8 cores vs 4 and all it did was match the 2500k.

Now put my 2600k up against it, 4 cores with HT hands the 8150 it's bottom.
Score
May 3, 2012 6:11:19 AM

Point being OP, the Cooler Master hyper 212 evo will keep your system nice and cool especially if you push/pull and it will only set you back like $30. I run a 2500k at 4.5 and in prime95 I see temps about 65-67C according to HWMonitor. I am also a major OC novice and this is my first PC build.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2012 6:22:43 AM

earl45 said:
Now put my 2600k up against it, 4 cores with HT hands the 8150 it's bottom.

Oh man, please tell me you didn't just compare a near $400 chip to a $230 chip, you did, didn't you. The FX 81XX series is priced to compete against the i5 silicon and in practically any multithreaded synthetic or application it beats the i5 and at times comfortably (and by the same token loses in practically every single core grunt synthetic), even the old Thubans do the same, so for people who can't really tell the difference between 80FPS and 95FPS or need work benches a FX 81XX series is more than a match at the price point.

Hop on that anti AMD train.

Score
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2012 6:42:02 AM

Dear God, this thread just needs to be closed, but one final word: In everyday usage, the 2500K and FX-81xx will basically "feel" the same, but each has their strong points in specific usage situations, so let's all just agree on that and move on.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2012 7:04:25 AM

Wait, thats the point I make all the time, I am from the real world and real world experience leaves you with the sense of "meh whatever makes you happy". But you know how the drill goes.
Score
a c 124 à CPUs
May 3, 2012 1:34:58 PM

sarinaide said:
Oh man, please tell me you didn't just compare a near $400 chip to a $230 chip

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288

The i5-2500k (~$200) is leading by much wider margins a lot more often than the 8150 does. Earl's point simply was that i7 is overkill when comparing Intel to AMD since Intel's mid-range chips are already faster than AMD's current flagship most of the time.
Score
May 3, 2012 3:57:24 PM

I was under the impression that even the $70 pentium G620 beats the FX 8120 in gaming benchmarks at stock speeds...

Oh yeah I am right...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Come to think of it... Does Intel make any cpus that don't beat the BD?

See that was just mean...

Paci,
This is your mother typing... Go sit in the corner and apologize to tha-vice for pointing out facts that invalidate his arguments!
-Pacioli's Mom
P.S. - Make sure you mention something about cooling so you aren't accused of hijacking the thread.

WoW MoM, I am totally ashamed of myself. Sorry tha_vice. AMD Rulez 4-Eva!

Oh yeah, I still think you should go for the Hyper 212+ or the Hyper 212 Evo
Works well for fevers too...
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/12/cooling_your_kids.ht...

Score
May 3, 2012 8:06:55 PM

I'll post the results when I get back.
Score
May 3, 2012 8:18:02 PM

earl45 said:
You want to see something funny here run these benchmarks and post them in the forum, if you
believe your system to be so powerful, this is the lol moment i know you won't run and post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] ark-thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] aven-basic

and a 5th somewhere, I think it's linked on one of these.

See, and this is where I don't understand the point of the chiding remarks. I have no problem dealing with facts, but the comparisons here are bogus.

You can't make a comparison with Amd's top of the line and a mid-range processor from intel, my only point I'm going to argue here is that if you're going to say who's Flagship is better then we need to take the top of the line intel chip and a top of the line amd chip

both being within the same generations of each other like the Core exterme my other links posted vs the AmD 8150, because the 8150 was AMD's answer to intels Sandy bridge, someone here said I just can't compare a previous generation intel chip to an 8150, but by the same token we can't compare an IB chip from intel ( their newest release) to an 8150 either. Lets wait until the piledriver cores come out to make that assesment. Then we can have an Epic IB vs piledriver geek battle, but for right now I think we should pull out the measuring stick to see which processors pee pee is better lmao.

My statement I make again about this whole thing is this.

Amd's Flag ship currently in that bench mark which includes the i7-2600 chip, is only beat out by 20-40 points in most tests, and acutally beats the intel extreme and 2600k ( non extreme edition) in some of the harder tests.

As a gamer I don't give a flying flip about theoretical hoopla ha Bs about how many Gflops of Bs data intel's 1000.00 dollar cpu can churn out i care about how much money i'm spendign and can I play BF3 etc... with good frame rates- the answer is yes, and I save myself an ass-load of money.

So again I pose this question - who's better: Intel's extreme platform ( not IB) which is 1,000.00$ + or Amd's chip which is about 230-300 and gives you roughly the same performance if not better is some of the more intesive tests etc... and has more oc'ing potential.
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2012 8:23:42 PM

tha_vice said:
So again I pose this question - who's better: Intel's extreme platform ( not IB) which is 1,000.00$ + or Amd's chip which is about 230-300 and gives you roughly the same performance if not better is some of the more intesive tests etc... and has more oc'ing potential.
If you're going to pose the question that narrowly an alternative best answer might be -- none of the above.
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2012 8:25:46 PM

tha_vice said:
You can't make a comparison with Amd's top of the line and a mid-range processor from intel
In fact, you can make that comparison.
You've probably noticed that in your thread I do suspect.

And it's the type of comparison the majority of people visiting here want to make every day.
Score
!