Reco & advice on Graphics Workstation 2012

tagxl007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi everyone My name is PJ, I am looking to build a workstation, i will primarily run the adobe suite of graphics products, corel x5, and possible some gaming as i am game art and design major, now the following is what i have come up with, please let me know if i can make any changes without adding too much more to the price tag or of any incompatibilities, its been a while since i last built a rig so i am new to SATA and PCIE and any help is greatly appreciated.

And please keep in mind i would love a 3x sli or crossfire setup but as a student i cannot afford it, im barely gonna be able to get this and its only because im unable to run these programs with my current pc's. so ultimately it needs to run multiple graphics editing software and not cost me 10 grand.

Here Goes:
(this is all off of newegg.com)

CASE
Antec 1100 super mid tower

MOBO
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA2011 SATA 6gb/s usb 3.0

CPU
i7 3930K Sandybridge-E 3.2ghz unlocked six core

RAM
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb (2x4) ddr3 1866 Pc315000 = 32gb total 8 sticks

SSD
Patriot Pyro 120gb SATA III MLC SSD

HDD
Seagate Pipeline HD 1TB

PSU
Coolermaster D3 1300watt modular

GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX460 2win Fermi 2GB 512bit GDDR5 Pci Express 2,0 x16

OPTICAL
HP BD340i BluRay dvd Burner Combo SATA
ASUS BDROM SATA

Sound 5.1 onboard
Gigabit Lan onboard

COOLING
CPU will be cooled by Corsair Hydro Series 100
Rest of pc is Air cooled via fan temp controller

Card reader / bluetooth / webcam etc etc.

MONITORS
2x Samsung E1920X 18.5 inch LCD

WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

TOTAL COST APPROX. $3500

Thanks In Advance. Please let me know if i missed anything

tagxl007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I guess people only want to reply to people who dont know anything abt pc's......... I love this forum but got no love for my workstation, so i have done some research on my own...

What I have figured out is that if its good enough to play it then its good enough to design it, I have modified my above specs to the following and am now bulding a workstation/gaming rig combo thingy....

Im still debating but I might go with a bigger and much much more expensive Intel SSD but still researching on that one...
any way message me maybe we can help each other on this.........

memory is now Corsair Dominator 4x4gbx2sets ddr31866 quad channel total 32gb (probably make 10gb into ram drive)

Graphics are now going to be 2x Radeon HD 6970 2gb in crossfire

added Creative Xfi Titanium w IO panel sound card

Added WIFI and Bluetooth

Case is now a XSPC H1 super cube from frozencpu.com to house all of my water cooling radiators n stuff

Using 3 monitors NEC Ex231w

I think from what I can gather from my reasearch on designing workstations and Ultimate Gaming Machines
that these specs will do just fine and should be able to run 99% of what I throw at it for 8 or so years.

Although this is now going to cost me $8,500.00 so im still saving, im going all out with water cooling and monitoring hardware etc etc.

IF you want my full parts list and prices let me know i have a very nice spreadsheet all set up.

xmacak

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mercury Playback Engine is exclusivly NVIDIA CUDA based technology, with no plans for supporting Radeon.
OpenGL in general (After Effects, Photoshop, ...) is better supported with Nvidia gfx cards...

also, as HT is not recommended for Adobe CS5.5, i7 is overkill AFAIK (i7~=i5+HT)

tagxl007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Im guessing that HT wont hinder performance of cs 5 it just wont use it right ? I am thinking about 2 cards in sli and i will be gaming on this setup as well as design work so i need it to balance between gpu and cpu power

EVGA 03G-P3-1597-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Classified Ultra Hydro Copper 3GB 384-bit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130757&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000181

xmacak

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

at work we have hp z400 workstations (i xeon w3565 @ 3.2Ghz)
and hp software recommended shutting down HT in BIOS as optimal config. for use with Adobe.

anyway, your budget is obviously bigger than my employer has at his disposal...

tagxl007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I got in touch with Adobe and they basically said that most components of CS5 use HT but only when it will make the process faster and will not use it in cases where it will slow down the process. Although I will have 6 physical cores to my disposal so i can care less of HT but its there for whatever app wants to use it so I should be good.

Thats funny, when I started to plan this build I wanted to spend $4000 and not $10000, well im up to $10,000. Its gonna take me prob till end of the year to save up so hopefully by then some of these prices come down and I can have a few grand left over to redo my living room entertainment system......