Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia 560TI vs. 560 TI w/448 CUDA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2011 9:28:46 PM

Hola mi amigos! Thanks to the fine users on Tom's and Anandtech I have been tipped off to the future (~Nov.29) release of Nvidia's suped up version of the 560TI with 448 CUDA cores. While I am most certainly a newb in the tech specs of GPUs, I understand that more is usually better when it comes to any processing unit scramblin' up them integers and makin' graphix look purty. It also doesn't hurt that the upgraded 560TI's are rumored to be priced at about the same as the "vanilla" models (~$250).

So let me get to the chase:
I've read the specs and everyone seems to think that these cards are going to pack quite the punch and are pretty much equivalent to the 570's at $50 cheaper (http://www.guru3d.com/news/geforce-gtx-560-ti-448-core-...). My question is: With a budget of ~$250 and after having recently RMA'ed a defective HIS ICEq Radeon 6870 (and expecting better performance than that one), what card(s) would you all suggest I look into/invest in (not a fanboy; ATI or Nvidia routes are both open).

Here are my specs-

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ~November-December 2011

BUDGET RANGE: (: USD $150-250) Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Metro 2033, Bf3, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Max Payne 3, La Noire], AVID, home theater/watching movies, CS5, pr0n

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: HIS Iceq Radeon HD 6870 and XFX 750TX 750W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I5-2500k (Sandy Bridge), P67 ASUS Asrock Extreme4, 8 GB Corsair (Plenty of cooling in a HAF 912 case)

PARTS PREFERENCES: NONE
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Probably (Eventually)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Prefer Lifetime Warranty cards or from sites where I can return that *** if it breaks.

Also, boobies, and thanks!
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2011 9:58:00 PM

If it has 448 cores, then it will be slightly slower than the 570, which has 480 cores. Unless prices drop on the 560 ti/570 then I can't imagine it being cheaper than $280. But prices may drop when it comes out, hard to say.
Score
November 20, 2011 10:01:22 PM

Dope picture dude, m0arpheus is beast. I've read that you can unlock the shaders and it's virtually the same as a 570. The other crazy thing I've read is that only 10,000 of these bad boys are being manufactured worldwide on launch, though I have no idea why they would do that other than as a novelty act to hype *** up with ATI before next year's new GPU lineup.

If the cards are under $275 (factory oc'ed or not) I'm leaning towards that direction right now but I'm just plumbing the depths to see if anyone is more hip to the rumors swirling about than I am.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2011 11:43:36 PM

LOL thanks, Matrix is one of my fav movies of all time :D 

If you could unlock the additional shaders of the 570 that would be amazing. I have a hard time believing that though, since no one would buy the 570 anymore if that were true. If it's in limited numbers then maybe it's true, but that's just my guess.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2011 12:02:21 AM

If the price is 280 nobody will buy it.
If they follow MSRP (they won't) nobody will bother with any other card.
That price for that card would be unheard of and unbeatable
Score
November 21, 2011 4:08:04 AM

Well....I've found this indicating it's a $300 price-point....for now (http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=ent...!ORDERID!). I've also stumbled across this section where some guy apparently as "NDA-level" knowledge of the pricing (in-between a 570 and a 560 TI?) http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33983659

Either way, I'm still stoked to see what actually comes out and happens with this card. Who knows, maybe it will temporarily tank the prices of a 560 TI and I'll get one of those badboys though it seems like Nvidia are having serious problems with their drivers lately with TDRs and what not.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 21, 2011 8:27:26 AM

gameranew22 said:
Well....I've found this indicating it's a $300 price-point....for now (http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=ent...!ORDERID!). I've also stumbled across this section where some guy apparently as "NDA-level" knowledge of the pricing (in-between a 570 and a 560 TI?) http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33983659

Either way, I'm still stoked to see what actually comes out and happens with this card. Who knows, maybe it will temporarily tank the prices of a 560 TI and I'll get one of those badboys though it seems like Nvidia are having serious problems with their drivers lately with TDRs and what not.

:??:  Anything in particular or just in general?
Score
November 21, 2011 2:23:14 PM

I've just been reading about general TDR failures around the Steam and Nvidia forums. Apparently there are issues with the 2xx driver series but there is a fix that is being ramped out because it's a pretty wide-spread issue apparently with players in high-end games like Bf3 and Skyrim.

Other than that, I've heard the Nvidia graphics experience is usually easy (coming from an ATI-only experience with their drivers and cards which have let down me more than once).
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2011 2:32:50 PM

There are a lot of issues in general with BF3 and Skyrim. I've seen a lot of issues going on with both companies and had to work through some troubles myself to get things running smoothly (using AMD cards). I wouldn't take that to mean that NVidia is having more troubles than AMD or vice versa. Give it a little time and I'm sure both camps will get the issues ironed out. Frustrating and unfortunate.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 21, 2011 2:47:39 PM

gameranew22 said:
I've just been reading about general TDR failures around the Steam and Nvidia forums. Apparently there are issues with the 2xx driver series but there is a fix that is being ramped out because it's a pretty wide-spread issue apparently with players in high-end games like Bf3 and Skyrim.

Other than that, I've heard the Nvidia graphics experience is usually easy (coming from an ATI-only experience with their drivers and cards which have let down me more than once).

Our own Video game forums are also full of threads about problems with those games and quite a few are from AMD/ATi users so I reckon it's a fault of the games not the drivers.
Score
November 21, 2011 3:10:11 PM

I reckon you guys are right (mousemonkey, beltzy----MONKEYARMY!!!) about the games being more at fault than the cards/drivers....maybe I shouldn't have so casually RMA'ed my HIS ICEq 6870....

However, when games like Bioshock 1 & 2, GTA 4, BF3, Skyrim, Metro 2033 and New Vegas all are failing on me, it makes me a sad little monkey (monkey reference!). I keep getting weird artifacts in those games when they do run and just complete TDR and hard resets when they don't. It's gotta be frustrating to be a compliance dev for these games as ATI and Nvidia are locked into an almost ridiculous combat scenario pushing out "new" cards every other month that do pretty much exactly the same thing.

I would like to see these issues fixed so I can play these gorgeous games but I have a lot in the backlog to catch up on and I always like me some Alan Wake on the old Xbox :) 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 21, 2011 3:15:50 PM

gameranew22 said:
I reckon you guys are right (mousemonkey, beltzy----MONKEYARMY!!!) about the games being more at fault than the cards/drivers....maybe I shouldn't have so casually RMA'ed my HIS ICEq 6870....

However, when games like Bioshock 1 & 2, GTA 4, BF3, Skyrim, Metro 2033 and New Vegas all are failing on me, it makes me a sad little monkey (monkey reference!). I keep getting weird artifacts in those games when they do run and just complete TDR and hard resets when they don't. It's gotta be frustrating to be a compliance dev for these games as ATI and Nvidia are locked into an almost ridiculous combat scenario pushing out "new" cards every other month that do pretty much exactly the same thing.

I would like to see these issues fixed so I can play these gorgeous games but I have a lot in the backlog to catch up on and I always like me some Alan Wake on the old Xbox :) 

You want publishers to release a finished and polished game instead of some cobbled together clunky pile of poo? What are you on man? :lol: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2011 3:37:35 PM

Blasphemy! I was pretty disappointed with the shenanigans related to Skyrim, which is a fantastic game that is a little marred by problems that should have been worked our prior to release.

I hope we didn't throw you off course- it sounds like your card that was RMA'd was bad. Those kinds of issues shouldn't be around for many of those games. As far as what to get next, just don't think NVidia has poor drivers based on Skyrim. Typically AMD has the reputation for less reliable drivers (though I still say that skeptically without hard facts to base it on- just a general sentiment that you'll see on the forums, etc). The bottom line is both brands put out great products that are very competitive for the most part- if they weren't you wouldn't see them both getting recommended at various price points by Tom's Hardware and other sites. Cheers!
Score
November 21, 2011 3:52:06 PM

beltzy said:
The bottom line is both brands put out great products that are very competitive for the most part- if they weren't you wouldn't see them both getting recommended at various price points by Tom's Hardware and other sites. Cheers!

And the truth reigns supreme! Yeah, I've tried to avoid to been one to buy into fandom of one particular technology across the board, at least I'd like to believe, and generally the cards seem to flipflop back on forth on what are the "key" offerings they bring to the table. From what I've witnessed though, I have to agree that AMD drivers seem to be a bit more wonky and ill-conceived than those from Nvidia but that AMD out-of-the-box are generally very powerful cards (not saying that nvidia aren't, just AMD seems to be better at putting out...harhar).

After thinking about it, there have got to be problems from all sides from compliance devs for EA and the GPU companies to publishers rushing dev cycles because they are rabid about the bottom-line and the competition. It would be nice to see more AAA titles adopt an indie-esque dev cycle and just say "it's done when it's done and we're going to make it awesome" but I guess that's why we have indie games because they don't have to earn back on several million spent on advertising and development. A shame really...because the modding the community for PC gaming basically saves the worth of the games anyways (CONTROVERSY!!!!), GTA4 is only one example of what a modding community can do for the longevity of a contemporary AAA game. I wish Nov. 29 would be here already so I can be fat from thanksgiving and broke from buying a new graphics card :) 
Score

Best solution

November 25, 2011 12:32:56 PM

For pictures and benchmarks check this link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1169208/i-want-a-new-graphic...

November 25, 2011 2:49:14 PM

thanks brobro! That helps make it an even clearer decision :p  Now I'm reading that these cards may be competing directly for the $250-280 market range. That would be awesome!!! I mean, Nvidia is probably going to up-sell that price range by a bit, but all indicators say it's the more worthy buy than the 570s if their prices don't dip (which they shouldn't) as it's essentially 80-90-ish% of a 570 in a brand spanking new 560 TI frame with G110 Silicon shinyness. Makes a grown man want to poop his pants for joy!
Score
December 5, 2011 2:52:36 AM

Best answer selected by Gameranew22.
Score
!