Sign in with
Your question

AMD x4 955 capable for HD7870?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2012 1:48:27 AM

Hello, at the moment i have a GTX 560 but i'm thinking about buying a HD7870. Is my cpu capable of running this GPU without problems? I mean bottleneck...

When i have the HD7870 i may be crossfiring it later

Thx

More about : amd 955 capable hd7870

a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 2:06:41 AM

I would say if you get about 4Ghz out of it you should be pretty solid. I would not CF it though. I would run a single hd7870 and then when haswell comes out get one of those and a second hd7870. :) 
May 2, 2012 2:15:33 AM

Okay thanks, at the moment it's OC to 3.6Ghz but when i increase the multiplier my temps are gettings to high.

And what do you mean? "haswell"? Do you mean upcoming Vishera, AMD cpu's? I might buy 1 later if i should crossfire it. But at the moment i just gonna buy a single HD7870 with my current cpu
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
May 2, 2012 2:31:27 AM

If I remember correctly, "Haswell" is the codename for Intel's CPU's with a totally different architecture due in 2013 :) 

And as for your temps, what kind of voltage are you pushing through your CPU? And what cooler do you have? Currently I have my X4 955 @ 3.8ghz with around 1.45v getting around 45C-48C during heavy load with a 212+
May 2, 2012 2:35:49 AM

I recently bought a AM3+ motherboard so i think i will stay with AMD

Nothing changed with voltage, only multiplier. And i have a Zalman CNPS10X heatsink. But i think my 15€ case is the problem
a c 109 à CPUs
May 2, 2012 2:38:34 AM

Ahhh I see..in that case, yes it's most likely due to lack of airflow going through your case. Leaving your side panel off can help with temperatures :)  though you'll have to watch out for the dust bunnies :lol:  When I first bought my rig, I put all my stuff inside an OEM HP case and left the side panel off til my case arrived :D 

As for sticking with AMD, if you're getting performance you're happy with, I would stick with AMD as well. I was personally waiting for Ivy Bridge, but I'll stick with AMD a lil while longer, my Phenom is still keeping me happy ;) 

Anyway, have fun with that 7870! My friend recently got one and boy does it smoke my 560 Ti :lol: 
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 2:46:48 AM

Haswell is Intel's 4th gen Core i. Really, AMD is far behind, go for the Intel, unless you want to pay for something doesn't doesn't perform as well. Anyway, try to OC the AMD a little more.
May 2, 2012 2:52:51 AM

HostileDonut said:
Haswell is Intel's 4th gen Core i. Really, AMD is far behind, go for the Intel, unless you want to pay for something doesn't doesn't perform as well. Anyway, try to OC the AMD a little more.

I will wait until 2012 Q3 when AMD releases the new cpu's. I really hope they will perform equaly like the i7

The flagship cpu ATM has same performance like the i5... :pt1cable:  so i hope AMD will get things straightened out and get good performance
a c 109 à CPUs
May 2, 2012 2:54:30 AM

Between those two 7870's the only difference I can tell is the OC. I would say yes, you can OC to get the same performance, but run stability tests to make sure it's stable.

Speaking of OC vs Non-OC cards, my brother got a Double D 6870 a few months ago, there was also a Double D Black Ed 6870 for quite more money, we just overclocked his Non-OC to the BE frequencies and voila :)  everything was smooth as butter.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 2:56:24 PM

dwensch said:
I will wait until 2012 Q3 when AMD releases the new cpu's. I really hope they will perform equaly like the i7

The flagship cpu ATM has same performance like the i5... :pt1cable:  so i hope AMD will get things straightened out and get good performance

Um. Not really. That mean when 8 cores can be used the AMD can match the i5. 8 cores are rarely used and NEVER used on games. The new AMD will not match Intel. Intel has about 50-60% more power per clock than AMD does. Although, for the OC or non-OC cards, they are the same card, just one with higher clocks. I would get the non-OC and just OC it more. You can probably get it past the3 pre-OCed card anyway.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 3:05:57 PM

I think you have just about got the answer you needed, but yes a 7870 is a good option to look to, the 7870 is the replacement for the 6970 and I can run them crossfired in a X6 so I would say you will be able to crossfire with a 955 which is hardly a bad processor. But it is rather overkill and more so expensive but you did say down the line which will probably mean you are going to put a Piledriver in your setup by then, in that case a 7870 CF solution with a PD will make a rather nice setup.
May 2, 2012 4:20:46 PM

Thanks guys, all my questions are cleared now. I really love this site, especially the users!

Thx so much
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 4:47:21 PM

No problem! Have fun with that awesome card!
!