1500$ Rig - This is my first build so any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xianzu

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Today or tomorrow.
Budget Range: 1600 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: All types of games, Internet browsing, Storage.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, monitor, mouse, I have few hard drives laying around for added storage.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Prefer newegg.

Parts Preferences: Nothing really, I prefer major brands for PSU for obvious reasons.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Looking for futureproofing for at least a few years.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

174$

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

229$

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

20$ after code.

XFX Black Edition FX-797A-TDBC Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

600$.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

115$ After code and rebate. I already bought this PSU as the sale was ending, however I can still return it if something is off/wrong.

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

182$.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800

40$. I already bought this due to the Shellshocker deal, I was going to get the 1.35v white version but did some research and concluded it wasn't worth the extra 10$ for what little OCing I plan to do.

Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC

120$.
--

So total price without shipping would be 1480$.

I tried to do as much research as possible before asking any questions. I actually plan on getting the Gigabyte Windforce 7970 once it is released later this month(I have another card to hold me over until then). I linked the one above because it is comparable to the same price and obviously same power. However I am not entirely sure I need something as powerful as the 7970 just looking to futureproof this as much as possible. If anyone has any helpful links they found useful for their first build I would highly appreciate it, otherwise I can research myself, never hurts to ask right? =P Also I know about the 5000 or 5200 firmware issue with the M4, they are going to push a fix within another week, so not too worried about it.

Solution

tlmck

Distinguished
Since you are talking about a PCIe 3.0 card, you might want a motherboard with PCIe 3.0 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=280&Description=&Type=&N=100007627+600176035&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&OEMMark=N&Manufactory=1315&Manufactory=1314&PropertyCodeValue=705%3A88788&PropertyCodeValue=20267%3A164176&PropertyCodeValue=20267%3A164177

Gigabyte would work also, but Newegg did not list any. Any of the 4 above would work though.

Everything else looks great.

Solution

tlmck

Distinguished

Your link is messed up. It happens often with Newegg as they are constantly updating their site.

Because this is your first build, look at the following threads while you are waiting for your parts.
Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

And I recommend breadboarding a new build:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

It doesn't take long, and it lets you test your parts before you install them in the case.

Xianzu

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
From what little research I did the difference between 3.0 and 2.0 slots was very small currently unless using multiple cards, screens, ect, but I guess it isn't that much more. Just curious of the real benefit of it for gaming. Oh, and according to a few reviews it despite Newegg not stating it - this board does have pci-e 3.0. So hurray!

tlmck

Distinguished
Yes. I see that Newegg added PCIe 3.0 just below the main description. It is still incorrect in the details tab.

I thought I read somewhere that PCIe 3.0 was twice as fast as PCIe 2.0, but I could be wrong. Until we have benchmark data, it is anyone's guess.

Xianzu

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I knew everything. =S Rereading my reply. I do appreciate you pointing it out, I would prefer to get it over not. From what I've read, which isn't much, is it's loads better for everything but gaming - since most don't even saturate 2.0. I think on a 7970 it was like a 6%? increase or so on the data I saw. I know later it will be worth it just now, not so sure. =) Again appreciate your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.