Running .exe puts CPU usuage at 80-95%

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
On my other computer, I am trying to run an .exe which is a game. This is the actual installer and I can't even get it to open.

The file is 1.83GB.

Whenever I run the .exe it basically just freezes, not the computer, but the application. I don't get to an installer screen or nothing. Everything just goes slow and I get the little hour glass mouse icon.

This is on Windows XP.

I right clicked the program, and went "unblock" for "this file came from another computer security blah blah" and hit OK. It does the same, freezes up.

I checked the computer's performance and when I try to run this program the usage floats between 80 and 95%.

I left the program for 30 minutes, nothing opened.

Solution?

I should add that there is no application running when going "alt ctrl del" and I don't see any process for this exe.

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
but I don't understand...

I have installed games on this computer already through installers and the games were big.

This is with one .exe file

The computer is old yes, but I still don't get the problem.

The main Hard Drive is 80GB, 60GB left, not much installed.

It has a second Hard Drive with 150GB, I want to install this game on there, but I can't even get past this exe.

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
the game is Counter-Strike Source. It's a non steam version used at a LAN event in France. I need it for watching old demos.

I can give you a link if you want.

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
No I realize that. If this discussion is not allowed on Toms Hardware let me know. I do have a real copy of the game though.

I need this "version" because if you know about CSS, demo files are unplayable after the major 2010 patch.

This specific version is a non steam 2009 version from a large LAN event in France. It's the only version that plays my demos pre-2010.

So I need it!