Is this configuration ok ?

tagxl007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi everyone My name is PJ, I am looking to build a workstation, i will primarily run the adobe suite of graphics products, corel x5, and possible some gaming as i am game art and design major, now the following is what i have come up with, please let me know if i can make any changes without adding too much more to the price tag or of any incompatibilities, its been a while since i last built a rig so i am new to SATA and PCIE and any help is greatly appreciated.

And please keep in mind i would love a 3x sli or crossfire setup but as a student i cannot afford it, im barely gonna be able to get this and its only because im unable to run these programs with my current pc's. so ultimately it needs to run multiple graphics editing software and not cost me 10 grand.

Here Goes:
(this is all off of newegg.com)

CASE
Antec 1100 super mid tower

MOBO
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA2011 SATA 6gb/s usb 3.0

CPU
i7 3930K Sandybridge-E 3.2ghz unlocked six core

RAM
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb (2x4) ddr3 1866 Pc315000 = 32gb total 8 sticks

SSD
Patriot Pyro 120gb SATA III MLC SSD

HDD
Seagate Pipeline HD 1TB

PSU
Coolermaster D3 1300watt modular

GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX460 2win Fermi 2GB 512bit GDDR5 Pci Express 2,0 x16

OPTICAL
HP BD340i BluRay dvd Burner Combo SATA
ASUS BDROM SATA

Sound 5.1 onboard
Gigabit Lan onboard

COOLING
CPU will be cooled by Corsair Hydro Series 100
Rest of pc is Air cooled via fan temp controller

Card reader / bluetooth / webcam etc etc.

MONITORS
2x Samsung E1920X 18.5 inch LCD

WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

TOTAL COST APPROX. $3500

Thanks In Advance. Please let me know if i missed anything

tagxl007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Well I know its not best of the best cuz that was costin 12 grand lol but I figured im gonna build it, might as well spend the extra money and make it future proof for the next 5-7 years as far as graphics software is concerned since ill be using it in my business as well.

anyone please comment on the compatibility of these parts, I would greatly appreciate that before I go and start ordering. Also is my gpu enough.power to handle the applications ?

galeener

Distinguished
Your PSU is a little over kill for the parts you have listed even if you add another card later on. If you replaced the vid card you have listed with 2 gtx 580s then added a few more hdds then you would still be a little over kill on the PSU.
For what you have listed a good 750 w PSU would be fine. And would still let you add another 460 later on.

mohammedvazeer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi
your system is really good...not sure you'll utilize all that ram...
have you considered checking the quadro 5000...it's a monster for professional graphics..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133325

tagxl007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I guess you are right about the power supply, however its really not that much less to go with a smaller one and i chose it in case a few years down the road i decide to swap out my gpu's for some newer even more power hungry monsters, and as far as ram I will be using 16gb of it as a ram drive.

I have changed my setup to the following, and i will be adding ssd's / hdd's in the future as my need for storage space increases, please advise if i should still go with that quadro 5000 graphics card or these cards below in crossfire ?

Im still debating but I might go with a bigger and much much more expensive Intel SSD any input on that will be helpful

memory is now Corsair Dominator 4x4gbx2sets ddr31866 quad channel total 32gb (I like to run a lot of programs simultaneously and i will be experimenting with turning some of it into a ram drive) plus i don't like to see empty ram slots on my board lol....

Graphics are now going to be 2x Radeon HD 6970 2gb in crossfire

added Creative Xfi Titanium w IO panel sound card

Added WIFI and Bluetooth

Case is now a XSPC H1 super cube from frozencpu.com to house all of my water cooling radiators n stuff

Using 3 monitors NEC Ex231w

galeener

Distinguished
I think you can get a better sound card also as creative seems to be really slow with updates to drivers any more.
other than that I guess your trying to future proof the system. I mean really its your system every thing you have listed is nice and will work together fine.