Sign in with
Your question

Blue underlined words.

Last response: in Forum Feedback
January 22, 2011 12:56:22 PM

Whats with the blue underlined words in threads, I accidently scanned over one and a huge pop up pc appeared. :ouch: 

More about : blue underlined words

January 22, 2011 7:00:55 PM

Welcome to the Kontera ads, its a trap.

Ad block will get rid of them for you, but yeah, they are pretty annoying, i see them when im at work without ad block.
January 22, 2011 7:08:08 PM

Kontera??? Am I supposed to know what that is?

For example your post has ads and work in blue and double underlined.

Who's doing it then, I'm confused. :pt1cable: 
Related resources
January 23, 2011 1:26:48 AM

They're just content-relevant (sort of) ads. The links should pop up an add for a product or service related to the highlighted keyword. Apart from full-page ads, they're about as intrusive as an ad can get.
January 23, 2011 11:58:10 AM

So how do they get there? Is it something THGC is allowing or is it an outside party out of control?
January 23, 2011 5:05:28 PM

Some Forums - TSG for example - allow blocking of adverts by donation - others, like Tom's depend on advertising to keep the site running. The AdBlock add-on for Firefox deals effectively with them but curiously, I don't see them in Opera either.

January 23, 2011 10:10:58 PM

beanoslim said:
So how do they get there? Is it something THGC is allowing or is it an outside party out of control?

It's just part of the advertising done here. THG obviously has to subscribe to the service.
January 23, 2011 10:47:10 PM

Saga Lout said:

Some Forums - TSG for example - allow blocking of adverts by donation - others, like Tom's depend on advertising to keep the site running. The AdBlock add-on for Firefox deals effectively with them but curiously, I don't see them in Opera either.

Jesus its gone crazy...ALL your text is blue. [:beanoslim:3]
January 24, 2011 1:20:04 PM

He uses a blue font. But yeah, the Kontera ads help to pay for bandwidth for the forums. Keeps the lights on. :) 
January 24, 2011 1:40:40 PM

The blue words and ads only really bother me on the netbook, when I'm on my main rig it doesn't really effect anything.

Just wondered how they got there as it seemed so random but question answered. Thanks.

Can anyone help with this, I thought it was a Randomizer guide??
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
January 25, 2011 5:37:11 AM

beanoslim said:
The blue words and ads only really bother me on the netbook

Sorry about the blue but when I write in pale grey as I am now, my eyesight is so poor that I won't pick up all my typos (and I make quite a few) until I post it and can see it in bold, Royal blue and that's also why I edit so many posts as soon as I posted them :( 

January 25, 2011 6:30:32 AM

You can preview your posts as well ;) 
January 25, 2011 6:43:29 AM

randomizer said:
You can preview your posts as well ;) 

So I can - amazing :D  It's smaller but clearer than the greyscale.

January 25, 2011 9:13:15 AM

Saga Lout said:

Sorry about the blue but when I write in pale grey as I am now, my eyesight is so poor that I won't pick up all my typos (and I make quite a few) until I post it and can see it in bold, Royal blue and that's also why I edit so many posts as soon as I posted them :( 

I was joking about your blue text, I did realise you were using all blue but as we were talking about the random blue words it seemed funny that your whole post was blue.

The annoyance with the blue advert words on the netbook is because they slow everything down. :fou: 

You carry on with your blue revolution. [:bohleyk:1]
January 25, 2011 9:17:45 AM

beanoslim said:
I was joking about your blue text,

I guessed that.

beanoslim said:
The annoyance with the blue advert words on the netbook is because they slow everything down. :fou: 
[:bohleyk:1]

I just don't see those and it must be AdBlock that blocks them. I'm using Opera in this system but Firefox behaves as well. I have adverts showing in Safari on the dreaded Powerbook but I'll tame that sooner or later.

!