Want to know how to test my new build, as well as good temperatures

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I built my computer and want to make sure everything is as stable and rock solid as possible.
I will probably be running HandBrake VERY often for long periods, so I want to make sure everything is good and stable.

I will be using IntelBurnTest, SpeedFan, and Hardware Monitor on my Windows 8 build.
I am currently running MemTest from a bootable disc, and so far everything seems fine.
What temperatures should my computer run at?

For your CPU - it shouldn't go above 70c depending on the type of CPU and cooler used. A lot of people are able to get 60c on full load of cores (which is really good).

For your GPU you shouldn't go above 80C (depending on type of GPU).60-70C for a midrange GPU is somewhat normal (on full load).

Prime 95 is a good CPU checker to see if it overheats/and or finds CPU problems. If you do use prime95 make sure you check your CPU temps - if they go above 90c (stop it immediately) you might need to reapply your heat sink and paste for your CPU.

If your temps start to get over 50c then you should look at it and see what is doing it , the gpu can always be run higher then the cpu because the thermal shutdown temp is higher on the gpu. You will of course have higher temps when stressing the components and that is to be expected. You can always research some benchmarks to see what has been found for operating temps for the components that you have.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Ooooops! Sorry about that.

The case is an NZXT Gamma with one 120mm fan blowing air out of the case.
There is no dedicated GPU, only integrated graphics.
Finally; the CPU is an Intel i3-2100.

Since I can't get .NET framework 3.5 working on Windows 8 yet due to Internet issues,
I just used Linx. Linx being very similar to BurnTest due to using linpack AFAIK.
CPUID Hardware Monitor seemed to really lag out and mess up Windows 8, so I had to use
SpeedFan.

I ran it Linx multiple times and it seemed to hit 60-61 Celsius.
The apartment I live in is kept uncomfortably hot by the landlord (80 Degrees Fahrenheit, 26.6 or so Celsius),
so keeping the PC much cooler would be impossible.

Linx said there were no errors after the test, but I want to know if the CPU running at 60C
for many hours on end is safe.

With a stock cooler? That's about expected given the ambient temps. Not dangerous.

Using an inexpensive cooler such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ would bring the temps down another 10C or so, and you might want to add another fan to the case.

You might try RealTemp or CoreTemp to see if one of those will run also, get some verification on the temps.

What you want to do is arrange the fans so that you have a good air flow and the fans are not blowing at each other , so if you have one in the front blowing in and one at the rear blowing out then the top fan can blow out and the side fan blow in. Then you want to look at the size of the fans and have the same sizes blowing in and out. Example , 120mm plus 200mm in and 120mm plus 200mm out.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
So this is my case:

http://www.bonafidereviews.com/nzxt-gamma-classic-series-pc-case/

I am sort of confused on how I would go about mounting a fan to the front.
Are fan screws visible from the outside of the case? I would probably
use molex adapters/fans since I don't see what pins on my Mobo could be used for the extra fans.

So what fans?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200048
3 for about $19 counting shipping

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052
4 for $19 with shipping, although no 4 pin adapters.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

4 Large Silver screws came with the case for a Fan.
Yate Loon seems more expensive than both the Rosewill and Cooler Master
once the shipping is factored in.

So it seems the most beneficial fan would be in the lower front area?

Your case has the option for side panel fans to be mounted there and they would be able to blow directly onto the motherboard and it would actualy be better then the front fan. Then you have top mounted fans that can be mounted to blow air out of the case. The front fan will help but it will be resricted by the hdd cage being in the way.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
The HDD cage seems to obstruct almost any air the front fan would pull in.

I ran Prime for hours, and intended to do it over night, but temps began to drop.
It peaked at about 64 C (Don't think I ever saw it hit 65C), and after another hour or so it began to drop in temperatures. Averaging about 63C it seems.
Room was around 82F