Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What can i do to make this run better?

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2012 1:09:27 PM

Hello- I have this build and I have this feeling I am missing something that I can do to make it run better, maybe a setting or something....who knows. I just want to be sure I am not "bottlenecking" anywhere (Not really sure I can tell how) and that I am getting the most out of this build.
Here is what I have that matters:

Case- CM Full Tower HafX
Mobo- Asus Crosshair formula IV
Processor- Phenom II x4 965 3.4 BE (currently at 3.6 via Asus utilities)
Heatsink- CM V8
Ram- GSkill Sniper series 1600 DDR3 Clk9
GPU- X2 XFX Radeon HD 6850 in crossfire (Both oc 800/1000)
PSU- 1000 watt CM Silent Pro M
HDD- 1 SSD for OS and 2 HDD 7200 for data/games
Monitors (I know these are off but I got a great deal on the 20's at the time)- 1 23'LG and 2 20' HP monitors
OS-Windows 7 64bit home

Open to any suggestions/comments

More about : make run

January 19, 2012 1:17:16 PM

Go into Windows Visual settings. You will see a few check boxes.
A couple are:

Decide What Is Best for My COmputer

Optimize for best looks

Optimize for Best performance

Click Performance and then check the box that states
"Use Windows 7 Buttons and Icons"

Score
January 19, 2012 1:29:10 PM

Tombstone,

If you've overclocked your CPU and GPUs to a maximum stable OC, that's really all you can do. You can use something like 3dMark to benchmark your system, but that's just to give you an idea of the performance gains of your overclocks.

Is there a particular issue you're experiencing that's causing you to look for a bottleneck? Honestly your hardware configuration is fairly balanced for gaming. You'd see performance gains with better GPUs, but you should have no trouble running stuff on a single monitor on high settings.
Score
Related resources
January 19, 2012 1:36:36 PM

No direct issue really... I have just been reading here and there about the term "bottlenecking". I am figuring its something to do with one component out performing another, causing an inability of a component from performing to its fullest potential? I just wanted to ensure my self (as once my mind is set on a question I must put it at ease!) that I did not have an area that i could prevent any thing of this sort from occuring...whether by making an adjustment or something like that..
Score

Best solution

January 19, 2012 1:44:21 PM

tombstone07 said:
No direct issue really... I have just been reading here and there about the term "bottlenecking". I am figuring its something to do with one component out performing another, causing an inability of a component from performing to its fullest potential? I just wanted to ensure my self (as once my mind is set on a question I must put it at ease!) that I did not have an area that i could prevent any thing of this sort from occuring...whether by making an adjustment or something like that..

Generally the term "bottlenecking" is used in a CPU vs. GPU context. A system with an i7-2600k and a 5770 is going to be GPU-bottlenecked; a system with an x3 450 and a GTX 580 is going to be CPU-bottlenecked. Your build is quite well balanced on the CPU vs. GPU power front. On top of that, the fact that you've achieved nice overclocks on both of those components means that you are getting the most out of the hardware you have.
January 19, 2012 1:55:15 PM

You have a Quad core cpu that is overclocked and two video cards which are not top of the line but nonetheless good cards , so they are a good matches and neither one will overpower the other. How much ram do you have , I see that you listed it but not the amount. If you were looking for added performance then you could add a SSD for the OS drive.
Score
January 19, 2012 1:58:08 PM

Sorry- 8g (2x4) on the GSkill sniper RAM
I do have an SSD on the OS its a SATA II
Score
January 19, 2012 2:14:51 PM

Ok I guess I didn't see it by being together with the regular hdd.
That's even better because windows 64bit likes a lot of ram and 8gb is going to be good for both the cpu and windows.
At this point with a well balanced system like you have that any further small changes will not be noticeable.
Score
January 19, 2012 2:28:24 PM

Awesome thanks to both Ultimabeam and inzone! I think my mind is at ease somewhat :) 
Score
January 19, 2012 2:28:39 PM

Best answer selected by tombstone07.
Score
!