G

hi guys, i'm planning to buy a sapphire hd 5770 vapor-x, will it be bottleneck? what can i do to avoid bottleneck issue?

here are my specs...

Processor: Pentium (R) dual-core @ 2.6 ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM EPU

Ram: DDR2-800 Kingston 2gb (2x)

Power Supply: 600 watts

Monitor: 1440 x 900

Please help me....i need some advice.... thanks in advance...

What is the make/model of your 600watt PSU? How many amps are on the +12/v rail?

No, the 5770 won't get bottlenecked by the CPU but O.C.ing is a good idea.As manu said a simple 400mhz O.C. will allow the 5770 to really stretch it's legs.Anything more than 3ghz will just increase performance even more.

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have a question - what does it mean in real terms if for example the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. Does it mean the frame rates will drop, or will it lag, or will it not work properly ?

I'm thinking of hooking up a Radeon 6850 to the same motherboard P5KPL-AM EPU. I got a 2.8 GHz E 6300 Intel processor. Do i also need to overclock it ? And considering the Intel processor's are locked - I'll only be able to overclock it by using software and I might need to get a better CPU cooler than the stock one - so is it worth it to overclock it by 200 MHz and purchase a cooler rather than leaving it be ?

How much of a difference would there be ?

Actually if I am not wrong, Intel Core 2 Duos are overclockable, the one that is not is when you get in from an OEM system, when you buy like ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc motherboard I think you should be able to.

You will not face any recognizable bottlenecks when you can overclock it to 3.0Ghz, then monitor your CPU temperature, if it's too high, buy a new cooler. Show us your PSU, because it may not work when the PSU is insufficient.

Also for tytee, CPU bottlenecks means the CPU can't keep up with the GPU, so yes, lower framerates will come to you, if you need details, you can PM somebody or make a new thread, instead of asking a question on someone else's thread :).

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Thanks mate.

I have made a new thread but I thought I'd use this thread too since it's similar and since it increasing my chances of getting a reply and getting a reply quicker.

Question : Does overclocking depend only on the motherboard ? Because I think it depends on both processor and motherboard. Isn't it the processor that has to be unlocked for you to be able to overclock it ?
My processor is an Intel Dual Core E6300 (I believe its a Wolfdale; it's not a Core 2 Duo - that was 1.8 GHz) and that can't be overclocked unless you use a software if I remember correctly. I've overclocked it before although I think it was on an Intel DG31PR motherboard. Can't remember if I've tried to overclock it on the ASUS board. But I don't think there should be a huge difference whether I overclock it or not, should it ?

Generally its a 2.8 Ghz processor. How much of a difference can there be in those 200 or so MHz ? Is there maybe a screenshot or video of a comparison someplace I can see ?

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Exactly my point. Someone said I should try to overclock my processor to 3.0 GHz. And you've enforced my point when I said how much of a difference 200 MHz could make.

Can someone point me in the direction of some good RAM - where I can find it online for a good price ?

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

DDR 3 RAMS are cheap, I agree. But unfortunately I've got a DDR 2 RAM motherboard. Which is why I'd have to change my motherboard and RAM for the cheaper DDR 3 RAMS to work.

I'll probably hold on to my system for a while before I make that change since it's not completely necessary at the moment.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
your cpu (Pentium (R) dual-core @ 2.6 ghz) is bottleneck

i have amd athlon k10 duel core @2.7 oc upto 3.2g and a sapphire hd6770
and my cpu is bottleneck
my gfx card only can show its 50percent potential due to this cpu bottleneck

better option for that cpu is 6670 or upto 6750

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

firstly, thanks for the reply !

its a 2.8ghz though. not 2.6 ghz as you have mentioned.

if 2.8ghz is still a bottleneck in your opinion, could you explain to me how we figure out that the cpu is a bottleneck. is there a mathematical procedure (i've read a bit about memory timings and data transfer rates and cpu fsb's and all) i'd appreciate if you could elaborate on how we find out the bottleneck and also,

what cpu would be good enough for the radeon 6850 ? does it have to be at a certain speed like 3.0 ghz or 3.2 ghz or is there another form of measurement ?

thanks

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

thankyou mate ! no need to apologize.

i'm trying to figure out what to upgrade next with my system. I've got the radeon 6850 now.
the first game i wanted to test was possibly the trickiest game to run with the stories of bad coding and all i've heard with regards to it - GTA IV.

i tried playing with the settings a bit and although i haven't tried putting everything down to low, even after applying the 1.0.4.0 game patch, it still doesn't run smoothly enough. i'm trying to figure out whether this is the RAM or CPU or just a game problem. earlier i had to fix a game problem by disabling windows event logging to prevent the temporary game freezes after inputting a key on the keyboard.

Also, i ran Mafia 2 after this and that runs beautifully, in spite of me having only 2 GB RAM.

any help in getting GTA IV to run smoothly will be greatly appreciated ! thanks

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
is you have 2gb or 4gb of total ram? (i am confused)

there is no formula is available, we can tell bottleneck only by compairing the overall gaming performance of cpus or by testing them.

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/94?vs=90
as you can see that your cpu is close to mines 7750 (used 7850 to simulate 3-4 percent of overclock), also i overclocked my cpu upto 3.2 for gaming which provides 15-20 percent of more cpu power but still my cpu cannot keep up with 6770, even at 1920x1200x75h of resolution,
and thus concluded that your cpu cannot keep up with 5770 without overclock

overclocking your cpu by 20percent will be a nice move and it will be enough to make it perfect for 5770

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I have 2 GB of total RAM (DDR-2).
At the moment I'm playing on a CRT monitor at max 1280 x 1024 resolution.
Do you have any suggestions for how I can get a smooth 30 FPS in GTA IV. Currently it gives me on average around 30 but because the minimum is around 20, it becomes laggy and difficult to play.
Also, how much of an increase in performance do you think it'll be if I switch my processor for a Quad Core Q6600 ?
And lastly, I'm trying to figure out how to overclock my CPU. Have read up a bit on it. But I have an ASUS motherboard and an Intel processor. The ASUS boards have a software called AI Suite which is supposed to have an overclocking software called the AI Booster. It isn't working unless I run the main AI Suite program, but I can't see the option of AI Booster anywhere in the Suite, so I can't run it in the Suite and it's not letting me run it outside of the suite. Any suggestions ?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
i havd hd6770 + amd athlon 7750 and i get fps around 40 at 1920x1200 medium settings.
I get more fps at 1920x1200 (40fps) instead of at 800x600 (30fps), which means my cpu is bottelneck.

You have slightly better cpu and far better gpu so your system can make it upto around 40fps.
Use tuneup to defragrament and clean the registry, and use latest patch of gta4 to get more fps, also try to overclock your cpu.

tytee

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks a bunch for the advice truegenius !

That really puts it into perspective and that's a big help. It's a starting point for me now. I wasn't sure whether I'd get more FPS if I increase the resolution or not so thankyou. I'll try taking it to the max my CRT monitor supports right now which is 1280 x 1024. I think another option is to try to get a screen that supports higher resolutions. I'll look into that.

I don't think I've patched to the latest version because I wanted to apply the ICEnhancer mod to it and it recommended I keep my GTA IV at version 1.4 (if i remember correctly) so that I haven't done. But how many FPS would that net me ? I doubt it'll give me more than 3 - 4. If it's more than that then I'll probably patch it. But if its not then I'm not sure its worth updating.