First time builder needs advice for a build($1500-1800)

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully by the end of the month

Budget Range: 1500-1800

System: 95% gaming then browsing the internet and some movies.

Parts Not Required: I don't need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, wireless adapter.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: all the parts i picked were from newegg.

Parts Preferences: Only thing I am completely decided on is a intel processor and a mobo that supports it.

Overclocking: yes but only moderately (not even close to an expert in oc'ing)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes but not at first to keep the budget down, after I get it built i will work on getting another card

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200 on 37 inch TV.

Additional Comments: going to be a gaming machine first and foremost.

MOBO:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I am a complete noob when it comes to mobo's, any advice would be appreciated. The main thing i want out of the mobo is to be able to handle two large video cards with enough space for them to be adequately cooled. I read some reviews for the gtx 580 that said they like to overheat when they are in sli and close together.

Processor:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

I was going to go a little more expensive with the processor but I read a couple threads that said the 2500 was a great pick for gaming and 2500k was what you wanted if you wanted to o/c.

CPU Cooler:

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

No real experience with heatsinks and processors. Open to any and all advice.

Case:

AZZA Hurrican 2000R SAZ-2000R Black (exterior)/Red (interior) SECC Japanese Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Only think I really wanted out of the case was for it to be a full tower. Just wanted to have plenty of room for air circulation and wiring and some pretty big video cards.

RAM:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

From what I read in the other build threads you only need 8GB of memory for just about anything so that's what I went with. Also someone said that anything over 1600 wasn't really worth it so I stuck with the 1600.

PS:

Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,ATX12V v2.3/ EPS12V,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

Never bought a power supply but I wanted to get a higher whattage for the dual video cards. Other then that I really have no clue what a good one to get is other then the 80plus rating.

GPU:

GIGABYTE GV-N580UD-3GI GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Open to either nvidia or radeon but I haven't really decided. The reason I went with the 3GB one is because I plan on playing on a 37 inch TV and from what I read it seems that the only real use for anything over 2GB is for use on larger tv's. Is this right or should I go with card with a lower amount of memory? Nvidia or radeon?

Storage:

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The Mushkin Chronos seemed like a solid choice given what people on these forums have said about it. Also got some kick ass reviews. Eventually I will get another and stripe them. Until then i have an external HD I can use for file storage if I ever need it.

CD/DVD/BR:

Sony Optiarc Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA 12X Half Height Tray Blu-ray Writer BD-5300S - OEM

This is my first build and this is really just a rough draft as far as builds go. Any advice from the tons of people with more experience then me would be appreciated. Also any advice for after I actually build the machine and what tweaks I should do would be awesome.

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
First off...you have a very big budget...but what i see are some pretty lower end quality items/companies. It may just be me, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Get a better case..silverstone, lian li, cooler master, antec, corsair pref one with filters etc. these typically will have good cable management.

Get a different PSU - stay with antec, silverstone, corsair, (if your even possibly thinking of Sli then 1000 will be fine...if not just go with a 650-800watt

only 120gb ssd? no harddrive? with that budget i'd be going for a 256gb ssd and maybe a hardrive (even if prices are high)

Also another thought, Ivy bridge / nvidia cards / amd cards are right around the corner. Why not wait 1 month for the latest greatest, unless you need now.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Wasn't too sure on the cases but I will go ahead and look at some of the brands you mentioned and same with the PSU.

I have an external HD I can use for everything other than the OS and the games I install but I may just get a HD as well.

As far as when I need it I would rather have it soon but I can wait. I will have to read up on the Ivy bridge and new cards, thanks for the advice.

mfj1985

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
What I did was buy the system but not a graphiccard, as nvidia are romoured to release their 6xx series in feb, then buy a gpu once they hit the shelfs, + 7950 should be out too. You can still use the computer until then cause it has the integrated sandybridge cpu, which can run games like CSS fine. Nothing new ofc.

Regarding setup and bang for the buck.

I would go with as rock extreme 3 gen 3 MB, has sli/xfire support and pci 3.0 all you need :)

GFX, dont buy 580 now, 680 rumoured next month, and currently 7970 a much better single GPU and u can afford it with your budget.

As far as cases if you want a miditower I would look in to the corsair carbide 500r, else the usual HAF 932 etc are good too. If noise is a big concern buy a fractal R3 design. PS get something else, a good 850w should be plenty, corsair,xfx,seasonic etc. Cpu cooler if u want the best get a noctua, it is abit expensive and kinda big though, best bang for the buck cooler is the coolermaster 212 imo.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Why not go for one of the new faster 7970 Radeon cards over the GTX 580? They are about the same price. You can always crossfire them down the road.

Brand is up to you on this.

As for CPU get the i7-2600k instead. Long term its a faster CPU and a great for overclocking.

Power Supply. Do not be cheap on this my recommendation would be...

CoolerMaster Silent Gold 1200 watt.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171055

Its more then enough it you want to SLI or do Crossfire down the road.

mfj1985

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Well if u got an endless supply of cash, or plan to do quad sli/quadfire then sure 1200 watt, else its way overkill. Better spend money elsewhere.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for all the advice guys, as a result I have almost a completely new build. Here it is, let me know what you think. Its also just barely over my budget. Any ideas to take a couple hundred off the price somewhere?

mobo: ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K

CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R797D5-3GD-B Radeon HD 7970 3GB

case:COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

PS: SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR240GB 2.5" 240GB

Media Drive: Sony Optiarc Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA 12X Half Height Tray Blu-ray Writer BD-5300S

Went with the i7 2600k instead of waiting for the ivy processors because my current machine is old as dirt. Will the socket change with the ivy processors? From what I read it seemed like they would be backwards compatible with current mobos but I'm still not sure. Same goes for the GPU and will eventually crossfire it so i stuck with the 1000w PS.

mfj1985

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION > as rock extreme 3 gen 3 , its best bang for the buck mobo atm. Supports sli/xfire, had pci 3.0 etc.

And you could wait till jan 31. for the 7950 release. Even if u dont end up buying it prices should be dropped, other than that looks fine.

Regarding socket, yes both ivy and sandy use socket 1155. I would just buy the 2500k now and save the money, 2600k isnt any better for gaming anyway. Only reason to go 2600k would be if you did video editing etc.