Closed Solved

Compatibility of Radeon HD 6850

I'm trying to troubleshoot certain problems on my computer (relating to graphic card), so I'm planning to swap my graphics card with a Radeon 6850 that my friend has. It has a PCIe 2.1 and I'm wondering if that will work on my GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard. I tried googling the specs on my motherboard it but it just says 'PCIe x16' which is ambiguous. My current graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon 5770 (PCIe 2.0).
I'm kinda new to this so any help would be appreciated.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility radeon 6850
  1. You can look up the chipset, 740g, it is 1.1a. It might work, it might not. Looking at this thread he has a 2.1 working in it. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300422-31-strange-problem-failed-resurrected-itself-dead-opinions Since it's your friend, shouldn't it be easy to test it?
  2. Best answer
    It will work. 2.1 cards work in 2.1 as there are no 2.1 PCI-e ports.
  3. I would have thought that if you are getting it from a friend then you could try it first to make sure it works ?

Mactronix :)
  4. 6850 can works on PCI-E 1.1/1.0a,suggest to buy Gigabyte windforce 2x version.
  5. Well I know it's easy to test, my concern was that if it does fit something could still go wrong (i.e. damaging the graphics card) if it wasn't compatible or something. But I'm going to assume from the answers I'm getting, I can go ahead and test it anyways.
  6. Best answer selected by Yulesh.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Radeon Graphics