Fewer screen resolutions available after SP2 install

September 13, 2004 2:52:37 PM

Hi,

Before installing SP2, I was running my monitor at 1280x960 resolution,
which was absolutely perfect for me and my eyes.

After installing SP2, windows will let me have either 1024x768 or
1280x1024 but nothing in between. Neither of these work as well as the
1280x960 resolution for me.

Any idea why this has happened and how to get my favourite resolution
back (short of rollback/reinstall).

I've tried looking for alternative graphics card drivers, but they seem
hard to track down and/or tell how up to date they are. The ones I've
tried have had no effect.

Graphics Card: S3 Graphics ProSavage 8A26 (KM133 chipset)

Monitor: Sony CPD-G420

Thanks!

E.
September 13, 2004 2:52:38 PM

"E" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before installing SP2, I was running my monitor at 1280x960 resolution,
> which was absolutely perfect for me and my eyes.
>
> After installing SP2, windows will let me have either 1024x768 or
> 1280x1024 but nothing in between. Neither of these work as well as the
> 1280x960 resolution for me.
>
> Any idea why this has happened and how to get my favourite resolution
> back (short of rollback/reinstall).
>
> I've tried looking for alternative graphics card drivers, but they seem
> hard to track down and/or tell how up to date they are. The ones I've
> tried have had no effect.
>
> Graphics Card: S3 Graphics ProSavage 8A26 (KM133 chipset)
>
> Monitor: Sony CPD-G420
>
> Thanks!
>
> E.

This link should give you the lastest driver avail. for your Vid card.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2004 12:29:23 AM

It's not your graphics card; it's your monitor.

Right-click on an empty area of your desktop and select Properties.
Select Advanced, Monitor.

If your monitor is listed as Standard, you need to get the correct INF
file for your particular monitor. If the correct monitor is listed, you
have one other option: Halfway down the same screen is a checkbox, "Hide
modes that this monitor cannot display." This will let you select any
mode. But be aware, some modes may damage your monitor. (However, most
newer monitors will not display those modes that they can't display.
They display "out of sync" instead.)

Good luck

courtney sends....

!