Your question

New build wont enter bios

Tags:
  • New Build
  • BIOS
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2012 7:04:09 PM

ive just created an account here as ive just built a new gaming computer for myself. this is my first build, luckily i didnt screw anything up. so here is my problem, when i start the computer, it goes into the screen with the mobo logo and the list of all my hardware, it says it failed to start CMOS or something. i tried pressing delete to go into the bios but it doesnt do anything. after about 5-10 seconds it goes into a screen that just says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected drive". after that, it wont let me enter the bios. like i said, this is my first build and first time doing any of this. ive tried resetting the CMOS, but that didnt do much. do i just need the OS disk to enter the bios? im sure this is an easy fix, but anything you can tell me will be a great help. im learning.

hardware:
biostar a880gz motherboard
amd fx-4100 cpu
2 2gb ddr3 crucial memory sticks
corsair builder series cx430 psu
the gfx is an integrated amd radeon 4200 series. once i get into the bios, im installing a radeon hd 6770

EDIT: all the cables are plugged in correctly. I AM SURE. the HDD is a seagate barracuda 500gb 7200rpm. the computer will correctly POST. but it tells me that there is a CMOS fail.

i will be running it on windows xp (for now)

More about : build wont enter bios

January 19, 2012 7:48:53 PM

An OS disk won't help you get into the BIOS. If you are at the point of the OS disk mattering you can't go into the BIOS anymore anyway.

When you turn on the computer, hit delete over and over, even if you don't see a menu asking you to and even if it beeps at you.

You will want to examine what the drives are, so take them back out and check that. It does matter.

List what the maker/sizes are from the labels and then connect only the smallest one when you put them back in.

Are you sure all the cables are plugged in correctly?
m
l
January 19, 2012 7:59:35 PM

ok the HDD is a seagate barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, ill try spamming the delete button. im sure the cables are plugged in correctly, but ill check them. thanks for the suggestions
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2012 8:40:54 PM

hitting delete over and over wont do anything :\
m
l
January 19, 2012 9:01:37 PM

Raiddinn said:
An OS disk won't help you get into the BIOS. If you are at the point of the OS disk mattering you can't go into the BIOS anymore anyway.

When you turn on the computer, hit delete over and over, even if you don't see a menu asking you to and even if it beeps at you.

You will want to examine what the drives are, so take them back out and check that. It does matter.

List what the maker/sizes are from the labels and then connect only the smallest one when you put them back in.

Are you sure all the cables are plugged in correctly?

ok im still figuring out this site :p  hitting delete over and over wont work. everything is plugged in correctly. maybe its the CMOS?
m
l
January 19, 2012 9:43:39 PM

You can try taking the battery out for 30 min and putting it back in.

It is about the size of a nickel or so and you can get it out by pushing on the metal plate holding it in with a small screwdriver.
m
l
January 19, 2012 10:27:38 PM

Are you sure that the delete key is the key to enter the BIOS? sometimes the key is F2 or another key, check the manual.

Try resetting the CMOS but do it the way it says in the manual by using the link on the motherboard, often just removing the battery is not good enough.

Use a PS2 keyboard not a USB one, USB legacy support may be disabled in the BIOS by default.

Are you hitting the key early enough? as soon as the computer turns on repeatedly hit the key until you enter the BIOS.
m
l
January 19, 2012 11:27:54 PM

pjmelect said:
Are you sure that the delete key is the key to enter the BIOS? sometimes the key is F2 or another key, check the manual.

Try resetting the CMOS but do it the way it says in the manual by using the link on the motherboard, often just removing the battery is not good enough.

Use a PS2 keyboard not a USB one, USB legacy support may be disabled in the BIOS by default.

Are you hitting the key early enough? as soon as the computer turns on repeatedly hit the key until you enter the BIOS.

it says hit delete to set up bios. i dont believe we have a ps2 keyboard. im using a mac keyboard though, is that a problem? its npt a wireless one. ive reset the CMOS using the way it says in the manual. ill try your suggestions, ill let you know if they work.
m
l
January 20, 2012 12:32:21 AM

Quote:
im using a mac keyboard though, is that a problem?

Yes that is probably your problem, some Mac keyboards have a DIP switch on the back which among other things can make the delete key the back space key. I strongly suggest that you try a normal IBM PS/2 type keyboard.
m
l
!