Looking for input on improving system

markholland

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi I'm new to the forums but long time visitor of the site, I recently made the plunge and got a graphics card for my rig and wanted input on what the next logical upgrades would be.

just a few comments before I list my parts, yes I understand intel is more powerful but I've always chosen amd on principle and my student budget, also the 8gb ram is because I originally had 4gb but when I got the ssd I thought I might aswell upgrade to avoid page file problems.

phenom x2 555be
gigabyte 880ga-ud3h
8gb 4x2gb kingston value ddr3
60gb ocz agility 3
modxstream pro 500w
sapphire hd 6870

i have no knowledge of true overclocking and only use the fusion program to knock upto 3.8ghz.

My current plans are new case as it has gotten cramped since putting the graphics in and a scythe katana 3 heatsink as I'm a bit uncomfortable about gaming with it overclocked on the stock cooler.

Just wanted peoples opinions as I feel I shouldn't have to drop to low settings on bf3 multiplayer to avoid lag.

thanks.

BF3 is very good at showing weaknesses in people's computers.

Unlike most games, it is very good at showing weaknesses in processors too.

You may want to consider a better processor as the next logical step up.

Something that is x4+ and 955+.

The suggested video card is 6950 or above too, which is a bit better than a 6870, but it shouldn't be enough to keep you on the ultra low settings like the processor issue.

markholland

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
That's what I figured but it makes no sense to me, I always thought ghz trumped cores in gaming as they're not written to multithread.

thanks for the info

The company that makes BF3 suggests a quad core processor for those who want to get the best experience.

They also suggest a better video card than you have.

That is straight off of the company's own website.

Not like I am making this stuff up.

If you want to keep the same processor then get another 6870 or something to crossfire with.