Pc continously beeps 1 and then 5 beeps?

pro xxx assassin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Ok, i have just started my new pc custom build by doing an out of the box build (cpu, coooler, ram, gpu) and was first greeted by a solid red dram led light. We then removed it and put it back in (after lots of fuss) and it seemed to be red but then dissapear, so all good? But then we heard the speaker and in the motherboard manual 1 continous beep and then 5 short beeps doesnt appear, what have we done wrong :S.

This was my first build with an i5 2500k asus p8z68-v pro motherboard, corsair 8gb vengeance ram and a gainward golden sample gtx 560 ti.

any ideas?

pro xxx assassin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

two things - it has 1 beep first then after a few secounds it has 1 long beep and 4 small ones so there's 6 in total (my bad). Also there isn't an on screen boot just on the board. And sorry to keep asking questions but we are unsure how many power cables should be in the graphics card, at the moment we only have 1 6 pin but there's room for two so should i put them both in? and should they be both from the psu as i was provided with a cable from gainward. As my dad seems to think we've fried the gpu by putting in two in the first place and has resorting to using the gainward one only out of the box (the supplement power cable) - just a single 6 pin. Just to add how can i find the maker of the bios?

Connect both power cords to the video card if it has two, yes.

When the computer starts up, it asks every part to draw max power all at once to make sure the PSU can handle the maximum load.

In this case, it sounds like the video card is trying to draw max power over just 1 PCIE power cable and it can't therefore it is sending a fail message to the processor which then makes the call to shut it down.

It is more likely that you damage the video card by trying to turn it on with 1 PCIE power cord in it, because it can overload the port trying to draw 2 connectors worth of power out of just 1 connector.

Please try to explain the part better started with "my dad...resorting..."

The BIOS maker might be in the motherboard manual perhaps. Otherwise you can probably look it up online.

pro xxx assassin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

I love you it worked obvivsly we hadnt tested 2 6pins since we fixed the ram so all is good. Also turns out we've had the cpu fan running off the wrong power pin, just to check there wont be any long term problems with this?

Well, glad it is fixed at least.

If you had the wrong connector going to the CPU, that can cause the computer to shut itself down as well.

Usually it will be able to detect when the power isn't coming through the ports correctly and it will shut itself down to prevent damage. Most likely that is what happened.

If you now have the right cord installed, it should be fine. I doubt there was any permanent damage from this.

pro xxx assassin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

Just to add i still got the same beeps but there was a red light for the hard drive light so i assume its just telling me its not installed.