Eyefinity vga monitors

Hi ,
I have recently purchased a Sapphire radeon hd 6770.The card is equipped with a single dvi socket, a single displayport socket and a single hdmi socket. currently i have a single vga monitor connected to the dvi socket via the bundled adapter.
my current monitor is an LG 1946S equipped only with a vga connector.what i would like to do is buy 2 more of thes LG monitors and use them in a 3 display eyefinity setup.

although AMD says at least one of the displays must be have a displayport i have been told i there are work-arounds for using just vga monitors

So my question is:Is it actually possible and if it is possible , what cables etc would i need to purchase ?

many thanx

mudelf
10 answers Last reply
More about eyefinity monitors
  1. You can't use Eyefinity to use 3 VGA (analog) monitors. You must use monitors with a digital interface (HDMI, DP, DVI). You would be better off buying 3 matched monitors that meet the digital connections requirements.
  2. ^correct... cannot be done with VGa only... you have to use the display port.

    Buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

    I used it with my eyefinity setup with no issues.... cheap and works.
  3. While this is a good adapter, it will not help with the "VGA only" monitors. It is a good adapter to bridge a DVI/DP connection, but not for VGA.

    Still, the best advice would be to get 3 monitors that have the needed digital inputs and then to use the 3 digital connections on the video card itself.
  4. COLGeek said:
    While this is a good adapter, it will not help with the "VGA only" monitors. It is a good adapter to bridge a DVI/DP connection, but not for VGA.

    Still, the best advice would be to get 3 monitors that have the needed digital inputs and then to use the 3 digital connections on the video card itself.



    of course the best option is to buy 3 new monitors.... but, couldn't he use 3 dvi->vga adapters along with the dpi->dvi adapter..
  5. i also didnt realize his monitor literally ONLY had Vga... usually don't see that.... my bad.
  6. jdenova007 said:
    of course the best option is to buy 3 new monitors.... but, couldn't he use 3 dvi->vga adapters along with the dpi->dvi adapter..

    there wouldnt be any analog signals in the dvi when going dp-dvi, ie it is DVI-D only. DVI-I has both analog and digital signals in the same plug, the dvi-vga adapter just routes those analog signals through to the vga out..
  7. ^ahhh, i see. it is single link only... would require dual... right.
  8. jdenova007 said:
    ^ahhh, i see. it is single link only... would require dual... right.

    Nope, the dual-link DVI has nothing to do with supporting a VGA connection. DVI-D is a digital only DVI connector that can't be used with a VGA adapter. DVI-I contains the circuitry to support a VGA connection. DVI-D is not necessarily a dual-link connection.

    See below for more info on DVI connections:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
  9. ^ dammit... i feel so dumb... lol.. thanks for the lesson
  10. Learning is always a good thing [8-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards VGA Monitors Socket Graphics Product