Sign in with
Your question

Eyefinity vga monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2011 1:47:55 PM

Hi ,
I have recently purchased a Sapphire radeon hd 6770.The card is equipped with a single dvi socket, a single displayport socket and a single hdmi socket. currently i have a single vga monitor connected to the dvi socket via the bundled adapter.
my current monitor is an LG 1946S equipped only with a vga connector.what i would like to do is buy 2 more of thes LG monitors and use them in a 3 display eyefinity setup.

although AMD says at least one of the displays must be have a displayport i have been told i there are work-arounds for using just vga monitors

So my question is:Is it actually possible and if it is possible , what cables etc would i need to purchase ?

many thanx

mudelf

More about : eyefinity vga monitors

a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2011 2:44:30 PM

You can't use Eyefinity to use 3 VGA (analog) monitors. You must use monitors with a digital interface (HDMI, DP, DVI). You would be better off buying 3 matched monitors that meet the digital connections requirements.
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2011 3:02:35 PM

While this is a good adapter, it will not help with the "VGA only" monitors. It is a good adapter to bridge a DVI/DP connection, but not for VGA.

Still, the best advice would be to get 3 monitors that have the needed digital inputs and then to use the 3 digital connections on the video card itself.
m
l
November 21, 2011 3:13:15 PM

COLGeek said:
While this is a good adapter, it will not help with the "VGA only" monitors. It is a good adapter to bridge a DVI/DP connection, but not for VGA.

Still, the best advice would be to get 3 monitors that have the needed digital inputs and then to use the 3 digital connections on the video card itself.

of course the best option is to buy 3 new monitors.... but, couldn't he use 3 dvi->vga adapters along with the dpi->dvi adapter..
m
l
November 21, 2011 3:17:34 PM

i also didnt realize his monitor literally ONLY had Vga... usually don't see that.... my bad.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2011 3:17:54 PM

jdenova007 said:
of course the best option is to buy 3 new monitors.... but, couldn't he use 3 dvi->vga adapters along with the dpi->dvi adapter..

there wouldnt be any analog signals in the dvi when going dp-dvi, ie it is DVI-D only. DVI-I has both analog and digital signals in the same plug, the dvi-vga adapter just routes those analog signals through to the vga out..
m
l
November 21, 2011 3:23:15 PM

^ahhh, i see. it is single link only... would require dual... right.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2011 3:29:50 PM

jdenova007 said:
^ahhh, i see. it is single link only... would require dual... right.

Nope, the dual-link DVI has nothing to do with supporting a VGA connection. DVI-D is a digital only DVI connector that can't be used with a VGA adapter. DVI-I contains the circuitry to support a VGA connection. DVI-D is not necessarily a dual-link connection.

See below for more info on DVI connections:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
m
l
November 21, 2011 3:34:10 PM

^ dammit... i feel so dumb... lol.. thanks for the lesson
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2011 3:39:39 PM

Learning is always a good thing [8-)