Sign in with
Your question

I can't connect 30 Computer's over a router help pls.

Last response: in Networking
February 10, 2011 1:41:25 AM

1st of sorry for my bad English its not my native language.

The network works on all 30 computers what does not won't to work is the Internet connection.

I got a Internet Cafe with 30 Computers but my Internet connection just wont reach PC17-30.
Even if 1-16 are shut down the net won't open on 17-30.
I also tried to switch PC1 with PC17 and the result was that PC17 had net and PC1 did not (On there switched out places) so I'm sure i did something wrong with my set up.

I use a EDIMAX BR1624k router, 1x D-Link HUB 24Slots & 1x D-Link HUB 16Slots

My 1st set up was:

On router
1st slot i did connect the server alone
2nd slot I connected HUB 24 and on the HUB's last slot i connected the HUB with 16Slots
It didn't work....

My 2nd set up was:

On router
1st slot i connect again the server alone
2nd slot I connected 1 HUB
3rd slot I connected the other HUB
It didn't work either.....

Set up 1 & 2 had the same result

Does it have something to do with my router ? If yes what type of router should i buy what do i have to look out for ?

Please i really need help i tried to solve this for a year now with no success, i even checked my Internet provider but there is no problem with the line on there side
February 10, 2011 12:36:38 PM

I can't find any information about that router, but it seems like there might be a problem with the configuration.

What OS are the client computers using? Do you use DHCP to configure them, or are they static IP? Do any of the computers that can't connect to the internet communicate with the server or any of the other computers successfully?
m
l
February 10, 2011 4:24:13 PM

First check if your model router has a connection limit. If it's a "home" model, you will need to upgrade. Home routers are not made to connect that many PCs solidly. Also if the D-Links you are using are true HUBs and not switches, replace them with switches. Many PCs on a hub will give you issues with data collitions and slow everything down.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2011 6:16:48 PM

I found a BR-6314K which will support 253 PC.

make sure you use switches.

m
l
February 10, 2011 6:25:05 PM

Off topic - does any company even make true hubs anymore? I can't recall seeing any for sale since the early 100 base-t years...
m
l
February 11, 2011 1:28:37 AM

someone19 said:
I can't find any information about that router, but it seems like there might be a problem with the configuration.

What OS are the client computers using? Do you use DHCP to configure them, or are they static IP? Do any of the computers that can't connect to the internet communicate with the server or any of the other computers successfully?

My client and server are using Win7 Ultimate 64x, on the router i didn't change much, the only thing i did was giving it the information for the net like user-name, password etc.

It's set up for DHCP and yes all computers can communicate with each other on the network
m
l
February 11, 2011 1:36:18 AM

hang-the-9 said:
First check if your model router has a connection limit. If it's a "home" model, you will need to upgrade. Home routers are not made to connect that many PCs solidly. Also if the D-Links you are using are true HUBs and not switches, replace them with switches. Many PCs on a hub will give you issues with data collitions and slow everything down.

Well when i started this business i had no idea how to set up an network, so i actually don't know if my router is a home or business model.

But i was looking at its configuration and there don't seems to be a connection limit every PC from 1-30 has a DHCP assign for it self, oh and I'm sorry i of course don't use HUBS, i use D-Link Fast Ethernet Desktop Switches
m
l
February 11, 2011 1:40:36 AM

Emerald said:
I found a BR-6314K which will support 253 PC.

make sure you use switches.

When i buy a router where do i have to look to find out how many PC's i can connect on it ?

Thank you for every replay i really appreciate it.
m
l
February 11, 2011 10:07:59 AM

You'll need to pay for a router that will handle that many computers. The specifications should list how many connections it will allow.

I've always preferred linksys/cisco. Look on NewEgg for ideas, and you can find the one you choose at other retailers if you prefer to buy somewhere else.
m
l
!