Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

HD 6950 2GB or HD 7000 Series?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 21, 2011 2:09:36 PM

Hi there :hello:  I was thinking about buying a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Dirt 3 Edition but is it too late for me to buy a 6000 series? Since the 7000 series is coming out very soon I heard. Hoping for a good deal on Black Friday or Cyber Monday for the 6950 :/ 

More about : 6950 2gb 7000 series

November 21, 2011 2:22:53 PM

Nobody can tell you with authority today what the 7000 series will bring, and when.
Rumor is, that we might see some mid range 7000 series by Xmas. Rumor is also that they will be rebranded 6xxx cards.
Rumor is, that the top end 6990 class 28nm cards will be different, performing better at an equivalent 6990 price, available sometime in 1Q2012.

My advice, is that if a 6950 is of sufficient power to do the job for you, go ahead and see if you can get one at a bargain price.
Score
0
November 21, 2011 2:30:49 PM

I was going to get a 6950 or a 70 around Christmas. However, after thinking it through, and since I did just build my computer in September, I decided that I'll wait until my birthday in June to grab a nice 79XX. My GeForce 560 will have to do for now.
Score
0
Related resources
November 21, 2011 2:34:33 PM

imo your geforce 560 will last you longer than that. long enough so that you can wait till all the launch problems and stuff get worked out, prices come down.
Score
0
November 21, 2011 2:34:57 PM

geofelt said:
Nobody can tell you with authority today what the 7000 series will bring, and when.
Rumor is, that we might see some mid range 7000 series by Xmas. Rumor is also that they will be rebranded 6xxx cards.
Rumor is, that the top end 6990 class 28nm cards will be different, performing better at an equivalent 6990 price, available sometime in 1Q2012.

My advice, is that if a 6950 is of sufficient power to do the job for you, go ahead and see if you can get one at a bargain price.



Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll wait for a decent enough deal to show up on Black Friday, Cyber Monday or Christmas.
Score
0
November 21, 2011 2:37:29 PM

I have a AMD Phenom II 955 and ATI HD 4890 if you're all wondering. So the 6950 would be a big boost for my gaming experience. 4890 has 800 Unified Shaders. 6950 has around 1400+. Which is almost x2 the performance. In addition to this, I am playing on a 1080p monitor.
Score
0
November 21, 2011 2:39:56 PM

Build for a purpose. If current hardware will meet that purpose, then there is no problem getting one. If you CAN wait on an upgrade, then wait. The next gen cards from AMD and nVidia are sure to bring something special. But with all the problems both companies are having with manufacturing there may be some high return rates at the beginning.
Rumor was that AMD cards would come out before Christmas, but now rumors are saying that they may not make it for anything more than entry level cards (meaning current mid-high level cards will beat them easily). Now these are rumors, so who knows what reality will bring.
Score
0
November 26, 2011 2:43:35 PM

AMD 7xxx series will be PCI express 3.0 compatible, huge difference in bandwidth from 2.0, Crossfire builds actually looking viable for me for once!
Score
0
February 10, 2012 3:02:09 AM

PhenomX said:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll wait for a decent enough deal to show up on Black Friday, Cyber Monday or Christmas.

What is black Friday? Is it like UK and Australia Boxing Day (Day after Xmas when sales start) and god knows what Cyber Monday is 'Tsk' Americans lol we have a black Friday as well but everybody just gets Pissed (Drunk) lol
Anyway back on subject I am looking forward to the 7xxx series as well and can't wait to find out If we'll get better performance for our money
At the moment I only have a 6770 :( 
Score
0
February 10, 2012 3:04:59 AM

Bacardi222 said:
AMD 7xxx series will be PCI express 3.0 compatible, huge difference in bandwidth from 2.0, Crossfire builds actually looking viable for me for once!

Does that mean with Pci e 2.1 I wont be able to get a 7xxx Series? probably be backward compatible right
Score
0
February 10, 2012 3:23:35 AM

steelninja said:
What is black Friday? Is it like UK and Australia Boxing Day (Day after Xmas when sales start)

CLOSE, except that it's the day after American Thanksgiving, which is on the third Thursday of November. It's the traditional day when the "Christmas Shopping Season" begins. It tends to feature incredibly steep sales (typically ranging from 25-75%) on consumer merchandise, with the sale strictly limited to the AM hours of Friday.

"Cyber Monday" is an online counterpart that starts up the following Monday, as a sales period for online stores.

In both cases, computer parts and such often go on sale as well.

Also, I don't think resurrecting an ancient thread was necessary to ask this question. :p 
Score
0
February 10, 2012 6:59:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!