Frame Rate problems with my new computer

Sad_megatron

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hi all, I've been having a MAJOR problem with my new computer that I built. Originally I had a radeon 4000 series (I don't remember the actual part) and now I upgraded to a Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti 2gb, and a 700 watt power supply. I have a feeling I am bottle necking because when ever I play games (TF2, Battle field bc2, Mw3, Minecraft ect) I get very bad fps drops. On Tf2 I normally get around 120ish frames and all of a sudden it drops to 1 for about 5-10 seconds and the goes back to normal. This happens with all my games. I have a AMD Athlon X2 64 5000+ Black edition. I also have 4gb of ram DDR2. If you guys or gals can help me out, that'd be great.

G

First of all flash your MB BIOS to the latest version.
then please tell us full specs and programs you installed. shut some programs before start gaming may help, cause they are running on background.

xAnimosity

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
i have been having the same sort of issue with my new pc i built.

i have an i5 2500k, gtx 580.

in WoW i will be running at 60 fps and randomly will drop to 30fps for a min or two. same with BF3, will be at 85 fps and will randomly drop to 40 for a min.

not sure the cause, all my drivers are up to date.

could be something with BIOS, but i dont know much about BIOS and dont want to mess anything up.

Check what programs you have running in the background, shut them down.
Make sure that "Gaming Mode" is enabled in your antivirus software.
Check this to minimize programs loading by default when you boot....
type "msconfig" into the search or run line on your start menu to bring up boot and program services.

Sad_megatron

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

I disable and shut down my IoBit malware defender when I play, I've checked my running programs in task manager, none are hogging my cpu or anything.

Something is running, it may not have anything to do with your CPU at all though. It may be another program that is using the hard disk, causing disk slowdowns when it needs to load information from the drive. Do you notice the hard drive activity when the slow downs occur? Make sure you have the latest SATA and chipset drivers installed for your motherboard.

if you look through your IOBIT panel you'll see that they have a "gamer" mode thing to shut down unneeded back ground programs.

I would make sure that the ATI drivers from the old card were fully uninstalled and i would unistall the nvidia drivers and reinstall them...... rebooting after each process.

Sad_megatron

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, It reaches near max while playing mw3.. I figured out I have stock cooling on this, and i bought a new cpu a few minutes ago, its a AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core 940 3ghz that comes w/ a cooler master heat sink. That will solve my over heating problems correct? *Also there is a cool n' quiet setting on my cpu config. Would that help?

Sad_megatron

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

I have actually placed another fan in my case, and now the temps for the gfx are around 40's when being stressed and as for the cpu its in the 50's area.