Computer keeps hanging for a second or two

KavanM

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Sometimes there's a delay between when I perform an action (like clicking an icon to open something) and when the action is actually performed. Like a minute ago I clicked the start menu and there was a brief pause (about a second) before the start menu opened. I can hear the hard drive "thinking" for a second (making that clicking/whirring noise) right before the action happens. This happens fairly frequently and is beginning to drive me nuts. My specs:

Dell XPS 9100
Windows 7 SP1
i7-930 (8MB L2 Cache, 2.8 GHz)
9 GB of DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (weird amount, I know)
1.5TB Serial ATA 2 HD 7200RPM
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCIe

I'm not sure what the PSU is, but I'm assuming it's fairly hefty to run all that. I did notice on another thread that possibly having too much plugged into one outlet could slow things down? I have the PC, two monitors, VoiP business phone, a few external HDDs, Canon 4-in-1 printer and a Logitech THX 5.1 speaker system plugged into the same outlet. Could that be causing the/an issue?

This problem isn't new, but it's getting to the point where it's getting very annoying. I understand this isn't the fastest computer in the world, but I should at least be able to run programs/perform actions without constant hiccups. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KavanM

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Thanks for the super-quick reply! I'm a bit of a noob, though... how would I run that hard drive test you're referring to? I've run a virus scan using Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 and it came up clean.