Help with my monitor setup. (3x display)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfxc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I'm currently looking into a computer build for video editing and slight gaming so I want to go for a 3x display.
I'd really like the 3 displays to be from 20-24 inches, so if you guys have any models to recommend me (with thin bezels), PLZ don't be afraid to advise.

Currently, I was going to set up 3 of these monitors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001475

with two of these GPU cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582

But I have a few questions:
I most likely NEED 2 cards to connect the 3 monitors, correct? Two of these cards comes out to $740 so I am just wondering if I should get a 6990 dual GPU card for $730. Which option would provide the best performance?

Sidenote:
I will be getting an adequate power supply -- 1200W.

Solution
Kill the GPUs?
3D runs your GPUs at 100% all the time. If you can manage the temps, it's not a big deal. Just note that you'll be scaling down the detail in 3D games.

Would 3D be enabled all the time? I don't intend on using it constantly, only here or there. It's a convenience because I do have like 1 or 2 3D Blu Ray movies that i haven't watched yet. I plan on getting a few more over time.
You can turn 3D on/off when you like. I had the Asus 3D monitor for a while, so I have some decent experience with it.

I would check whatever playback software you intend to use. I had Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D and that was the only 3D Bluray program they made at the time. There are other options as well.

Regardless though...
Currently, I was going to set up 3 of these monitors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001475
Why the 3D monitors? You realize about $100 of that price is simply the 3D glasses kit, and then another ~$50 for the 3D feature of the monitor.

But I have a few questions:
I most likely NEED 2 cards to connect the 3 monitors, correct? Two of these cards comes out to $740 so I am just wondering if I should get a 6990 dual GPU card for $730. Which option would provide the best performance?
With NVidia, you need at least 2 cards to run 3 monitors either individually (i.e. no gaming) or in surround (3 for gaming, acts as one big monitor). The 3D will just kill your GPUs - it takes a lot of horsepower to run even one display in 3D.

Many of AMD's cards run 3 monitors on a single GPU. Basically any of the 68XX series and up. However, performance isn't great (not that it's stunning on NVidia either).

Sidenote:
I will be getting an adequate power supply -- 1200W.
Unnecessary unless you're running 2-3 GTX 580s or dual GPU cards with OCs.

sfxc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Kill the GPUs? Would 3D be enabled all the time? I don't intend on using it constantly, only here or there. It's a convenience because I do have like 1 or 2 3D Blu Ray movies that i haven't watched yet. I plan on getting a few more over time.
Regardless though, which would be the most powerful solution? I was told 570s in SLI were more powerful (2D), just need confirmation

Kill the GPUs?
3D runs your GPUs at 100% all the time. If you can manage the temps, it's not a big deal. Just note that you'll be scaling down the detail in 3D games.

Would 3D be enabled all the time? I don't intend on using it constantly, only here or there. It's a convenience because I do have like 1 or 2 3D Blu Ray movies that i haven't watched yet. I plan on getting a few more over time.
You can turn 3D on/off when you like. I had the Asus 3D monitor for a while, so I have some decent experience with it.

I would check whatever playback software you intend to use. I had Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D and that was the only 3D Bluray program they made at the time. There are other options as well.

Regardless though, which would be the most powerful solution? I was told 570s in SLI were more powerful (2D), just need confirmation
Well, 2 GPUs will always outperform a dual-GPU card with similar GPUs on the same PCB. It's just that 3D is really going to be hurting on 3 monitors.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.