Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Help with my monitor setup. (3x display)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Monitors
  • Systems
  • Product
  • Displays
Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2012 5:13:02 AM

I'm currently looking into a computer build for video editing and slight gaming so I want to go for a 3x display.
I'd really like the 3 displays to be from 20-24 inches, so if you guys have any models to recommend me (with thin bezels), PLZ don't be afraid to advise.

Currently, I was going to set up 3 of these monitors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with two of these GPU cards:

But I have a few questions:
I most likely NEED 2 cards to connect the 3 monitors, correct? Two of these cards comes out to $740 so I am just wondering if I should get a 6990 dual GPU card for $730. Which option would provide the best performance?

Sidenote:
I will be getting an adequate power supply -- 1200W.

More about : monitor setup display

a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2012 6:04:51 AM

Quote:

Why the 3D monitors? You realize about $100 of that price is simply the 3D glasses kit, and then another ~$50 for the 3D feature of the monitor.

Quote:
I most likely NEED 2 cards to connect the 3 monitors, correct? Two of these cards comes out to $740 so I am just wondering if I should get a 6990 dual GPU card for $730. Which option would provide the best performance?

With NVidia, you need at least 2 cards to run 3 monitors either individually (i.e. no gaming) or in surround (3 for gaming, acts as one big monitor). The 3D will just kill your GPUs - it takes a lot of horsepower to run even one display in 3D.

Many of AMD's cards run 3 monitors on a single GPU. Basically any of the 68XX series and up. However, performance isn't great (not that it's stunning on NVidia either).

Quote:
Sidenote:

Unnecessary unless you're running 2-3 GTX 580s or dual GPU cards with OCs.
Score
January 20, 2012 6:10:08 AM

boiler1990 said:
Quote:

Why the 3D monitors? You realize about $100 of that price is simply the 3D glasses kit, and then another ~$50 for the 3D feature of the monitor.

Quote:

With NVidia, you need at least 2 cards to run 3 monitors either individually (i.e. no gaming) or in surround (3 for gaming, acts as one big monitor). The 3D will just kill your GPUs - it takes a lot of horsepower to run even one display in 3D.

Many of AMD's cards run 3 monitors on a single GPU. Basically any of the 68XX series and up. However, performance isn't great (not that it's stunning on NVidia either).

Quote:
Sidenote:

Unnecessary unless you're running 2-3 GTX 580s or dual GPU cards with OCs.
Kill the GPUs? Would 3D be enabled all the time? I don't intend on using it constantly, only here or there. It's a convenience because I do have like 1 or 2 3D Blu Ray movies that i haven't watched yet. I plan on getting a few more over time.
Regardless though, which would be the most powerful solution? I was told 570s in SLI were more powerful (2D), just need confirmation
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2012 6:21:14 AM

Quote:
Kill the GPUs?

3D runs your GPUs at 100% all the time. If you can manage the temps, it's not a big deal. Just note that you'll be scaling down the detail in 3D games.

Quote:
Would 3D be enabled all the time? I don't intend on using it constantly, only here or there. It's a convenience because I do have like 1 or 2 3D Blu Ray movies that i haven't watched yet. I plan on getting a few more over time.

You can turn 3D on/off when you like. I had the Asus 3D monitor for a while, so I have some decent experience with it.

I would check whatever playback software you intend to use. I had Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D and that was the only 3D Bluray program they made at the time. There are other options as well.

Quote:
Regardless though, which would be the most powerful solution? I was told 570s in SLI were more powerful (2D), just need confirmation

Well, 2 GPUs will always outperform a dual-GPU card with similar GPUs on the same PCB. It's just that 3D is really going to be hurting on 3 monitors.
January 20, 2012 6:47:57 AM

Best answer selected by sfxc.
Score