Amd radeon hd 6870 wont show output

hsrazor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hello,
I just bought a AMD RADEON HD 6870. I got it and installed it and turn the computer one. The bios loads cause i hear the normal beat that goes on. But the video card doesnt show output. Also the fan on the gpu is on HIGH and stays there. I hear windows 7 load up and I tried eveerything. My last card is a AMD radeon HD 5770 and it worked fine. I'm wondering if I happened to get a faulty card which I hope is the case.
SYSTEM SPECS:
Mainboard: Tforce 6100-939
CPU: AMD athlon 64 x2 @2.0Ghz
VGA: XFX Amd Radeon HD 6870.

I don't think this is a driver problem. If you already have drivers for another AMD card, the 6870 should at least do a basic display. Even with no video drivers at all, Windows will run a generic driver to get you basic display. Are you using a VGA to DVI adapter. If so, be sure to plug it into the topmost DVI port, to cut costs most manufacturers only have on DVI port output an analog signal. If that is not the case, try plugging your monitor cable into an alternate port (if available). Failing that, you probably have a bad card, though it is strange that it passes POST but won't display, could be one or more of the output ports is bad.