Need to get a Nvidia card in the pricerange of $150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey community,

First of all, I am not saying I don't like ATI. I love my 6950, its just that the fact that CCC does not work is really annoying me to an extreme extent and I could probably sell it to my friend or my cousin for more, its just that it does not work with my computer. I even tried my aging 5770 and CCC did not work to any avail. I have been having extensive driver issues and the lot with the card, so I need something to fill just in the time being so I can look up the problem for my card and work on it another time.

Either way that's not the point. I just need a Nvidia card that works and can play some games. I am going to try to list some here.

BFBC2
Borderlans
COD4
L4D (1+2)
Driver: San Francisco
GTAIV
Just Cause 2
Mafia 2
Saints Row 2
Saints Row 3
NFS Shift (1+2)
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Shogun Total War (when I get it eventually)
Company of Heroes
Civilization 4
League of Legends
SC2
BF3 (eventually, way eventually, probably have a new card by then)

I would prefer to play these on at least medium to high, but I don't want to spring for a 560, because I want to do some research on why my 6950 is not working and figure out why, and eventually put it back into the computer. If not, its a reference card with 2GB (it even has the bios switch, thats why I don't want to give it up) it will sell for alot. I was looking at Tiger and found these.

GTX460 1GB DDR5
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6594139&CatId=3669

GTX280 1GB DDR3
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1337063&sku=E145-0279

I am open to other suggestions, yet I would like to stay in the price of that 460 (probably not that 280, but either way)

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
-Gunner

Solution
Go with the GTX460 your system will run it just fine.
Hope nothing is wrong with your MOBO. Two different Cards and same problem. Do you think a new card will be the answer?
I would see if you can barrow someones card and try it or put your card into someones eles to see it the problem is either your card or something else.
Then repost and maybe someone who can go through trouble shooting with you and be able to give you more answer than I can. Good luck

DM186

Splendid
Go with the GTX460 your system will run it just fine.
Hope nothing is wrong with your MOBO. Two different Cards and same problem. Do you think a new card will be the answer?
I would see if you can barrow someones card and try it or put your card into someones eles to see it the problem is either your card or something else.
Then repost and maybe someone who can go through trouble shooting with you and be able to give you more answer than I can. Good luck

Solution

I did try my even older 8800GT in is and it worked flawlessly. I believe it is an ATI driver issue. I just need a card that I know will work (and a spare, since I have since used the 8800GT in another build). It would buy me time to get my system back onto its feet with the 6950 again. Thanks for the advice! :)

What sort of driver issues are you having with the 6950? It makes more sense to try to work through these issues first before throwing up your hands and buying a new card, particularly when the replacement is going to be a 20% downgrade. Since this is happening with 2 different AMD cards this likely isn't a hardware problem. Are you running into any actual issues in games or are you just having issues with CCC? If a current driver revision is causing issues, try rolling back to an earlier version, or install an earlier Catalyst driver. If the problem is just with CCC, uninstall it, clear all registry entries related to CCC, and reinstall the Catalyst Software Suite. You may also want to scan your system for viruses and malware, it's possible one of those bugs may be causing issues. Honestly, if it would potentially save me the trouble and cost of buying another card, I'd even try reinstalling Windows and seeing if that helps.

If you aren't inclined to troubleshoot and just want to throw money at the problem; the 460 is the best you are going to get from nvidia in the $150 price range. Might as well not lose the DX11 support in addition to 20% performance if you went the GTX 280 route.

DM186

Splendid
Don't get the GTX550 Ti's I have two of them and I am not happy with them and myself or buying them. The 460 is a lot better card and faster. Next on my buying list is either 560 ti's or the 580's. Depends on my budget at the time.

You have absolutely no idea how many times I have done almost all things you have listed. The only thing I had not done that you listed was resintalling Windows (might do that later when I backup all my stuff). The 460 is more of a filler since my 6950 is having issues. It is definitely a driver issue. Some of my games are not getting very high performance in games (its pretty high end, I would think it would get nice performance). Oblivion is not working correctly, Shift 1+2 do not work either. I was planning on buying a spare anyway.

I do have the latest drivers and have tried everything short of resinstalling Windows for those telling me to reinstall. That means uninstalling, driver sweeper, and everything else.

Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.