Is this cpu compatable with this Mobo?

4745454b

Titan
AM3 CPUs can work in an AM2+ board with the proper bios update. An AM2 CPU will not work in an AM3 board as the AM2 CPUs lack a DDR3 memory controller. If MSI says it will work then make sure your bios is up to date and you should be good to go.

While the advice of OCing your current CPU is a good idea, the fact that its a first gen phenom will hold you back. Those chips didn't clock well so its doubtful you'll see the 3GHz+ you'll need. If you have the $120 to spare I'd get the new CPU. You should be able to get ~4GHz out of it.

timjshaw

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
i have try to update the bios twice now and it scares me every time. i try it just sets it back to the original 1.0 version. and also crazy enough if i try updating then loading bios with defaults i get blue screen i have to set it back to the clock speed i had before to get it to work but once it gets back into windows its perfect again. id really like to try and figure this out if anyone has seen this before and knows how to fix it please let me know i am using Live Update 5. do i need to dump my cmos or something>? the reason i say this is because it says my cmos is bad and asks me to press F1 or F2 for defaults after i try the update that is. sorry if this is kinda scattered haven't slept much recently.

timjshaw

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Thankyou for you help sofar! but i still dont understand why my Live Update wont udate the bios properly.

randomkid

Distinguished

^+1. I have 2 MSI boards for which I always update the BIOS manually. I do not like MSI Live Update. It tried it for drivers & it mess up my settings somehow so never bothered with it again. If I can not trust it with simple drivers, how can I trust it with BIOS update. Perhaps others who tried it can share their experience too.