i5-2400S as option for new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cla55clown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hi everyone, first post. Looking to do my first build (always used laptops) and I'm trying to decide on the CPU. Don't do much gaming but that's not saying that I never would. I'm trying to keep power comsumption/heat/noise down and came across the 2400S. Previously I had settled on the i5-2400 as my CPU of choice. I'll post my complete build list later but just wanted some thoughts on the 2400S for desktop build. Thanks

Intel Core i5-2400S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 65W

Cla55clown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
If I choose NOT to OC, am I limiting myself should I choose to game a little bit in the future? Is gaming performance more CPU or GPU dependent? Also, this version of the i5 is only $30 less than the more sought after 2500K so will the energy/money savings justify spending $200 on the 2400S.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually the i5-2400 is $60 less than the 2500K. Which makes it a far more viable option and a better bang-for-buck choice than the 2500K would. Because if you do decide to overclock you'll also need a good aftermarket fan and those can run anywhere from $30 (Hyper 212) - $100 (H100/D14) - $500+ (custom liquid cooling).

The thing is though is you're not going to be saving energy on the i5 as the power requirements for SB are 125V + motherboard voltage + GPU voltage.

You're not limiting yourself by choosing the i5-2400 - it's a relatively safe bet as anything from the mid - high SB will completely smoke anything that AMD puts out for years to come. And the beauty of Z68 and SB is that there's a wide variety of CPUs that are available and if that one isn't meeting your needs you can always add a different one later on.

Cla55clown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Lots of good info, however, are you seeing that I am looking specifically at the 2400S not just the standard 2400? It's rated at a 65W pull as opposed to the 95W for the regular 2400. Also, it retails for ~$201 on Newegg so only about $20-30 less than the K (man I wish there was a Microcenter close by!) Therefore, I would be saving energy with this version....Correct me if I'm off base with my thinking, I'm new to all this hardware spec stuff.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think I have that confused with my Phenom II which does pull 125W. :lol:

I don't know what's causing the price of CPUs to skyrocket but last I checked Newegg had it running at $189 before shipping but that may just be the standard i5-2400. Before you buy any CPU though it's best to check the QVL from your motherboard vendor to make sure it works with the motherboard you plan to buy.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Well, depends when you will get the CPU. BUT, if you wait 2 months, some ivy-bridge processors will be out.
Basically Ivy-Bridge = updated, lower consumption, faster version of sandy-bridge.

If you can't wait go with sandy-bridge, it's performance/consumption ratio is awesome.

Will your build include a graphics card? If not, go for the i5-2405S, it have a better iGPU than i5-2400s

Cla55clown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Haha, that's the joke with tech isn't it; that if you just wait 2-4 months, some amazing new hardware will come out that's waaaay better than the current stuff. Nah, I'm just gonna go with what's out now and have no regrets. I DO plan on having a discrete GPU to start out with because I want to see what all the Skyrim talk is about. :sarcastic: I saw the 2405S had a little higher end video card than the 2400S but in my case I don't think it's worth the extra money.

@g-unit, will PCParkPicker tell me if there are any compatibility issues the mobo and 2400S like you mentioned? I'm planning on buying a quality Z68 board....haven't settled on one yet though.

g-unit1111

Titan

Skyrim is amazing. I'm getting hooked on it. :lol:

I totally agree about waiting - everyone around here will tell you to wait but I'm in the minority when I say that if you wait and wait and wait - you'll never be satisfied with what's out there. First you'll wait for the CPUs and GPUs. But what about new motherboards, cases, PSUs, and monitors? And then the new version of Windows - what will it bring? It's better to start a system from scratch, keep it a year or two and upgrade a part here or there, and then go from there.

No, PC Part Picker will pretty much only tell you what you can get for the cheapest - it won't tell you what's compatible or what's good.

If you want a good motherboard this is the one I have and I've been really impressed with it so far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128506

Status
Not open for further replies.