Should I keep old video card in new Mobo

tom0927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading my current pc to i5-2400, Asus P8H61-M. I currently have a HD 4670 1gb DDR3. Is this card better then the integrated graphics on the i5 or should I just throw the card away and use the int. graphics card?

I am not a gamer, the last game I played, SC2, was half a year ago. I'm mostly going to be watching blu-ray, HD videos and minimal video processing.

I have another video card as well, eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS lying around in an unused PC. What about this card? Is it better then either the HD 4670 or the integrated graphics?

Thanks for your help!

tjude

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

I've had an i7 with the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 for about 4 months now using my GTS250. Wanted to try HDMI so I could use my monitor speakers. That didn't work, but I had already removed the GTS250, so I just used the onboard DVI. Works great. I honestly can't see the difference yet. Like you, I'm not a gamer, but I was very concerned about performance of Photoshop, InDesign, and the like. These seem to run the same way with the embedded intel graphics capability.

Since I'm using less power and am not getting a performance hit that I can see, I'm also wondering what the benefit of the card is? Is it only for texturing in games? I also never looked at comparative CPU utilizations, but looking at how it is now, I'm nowhere near maxing out.

So... My take is... leave it out. But I'm open to other ways of thinking.