Crashing with 6970 to no display, 100% fan, Red D4000 LED on

metalgear753

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hello all, first time poster on Tom's HW.

Lets start with the rig:

1100T Phenom II X6 w/Cooler Master Hyper 212+
850W Corsair
Radeon HD 6970 2GB DDR5 Sapphire (Running on the Catalyst Version 11.11)
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Mobo
8GB (2 x 4GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600Mhz
500GB WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM, 2TB WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM (Both 6.0 gb/s)
HAF 932 Advanced Tower

Here are my problems:

Minor problem:
A lot of my games have an annoying "stutter" no matter what settings I use. I also don't get nearly the same FPS as other people I know with lower powered rigs.

Major problem:
When I play Skyrim, after playing a bit, the screen goes black, my monitor has no DVI Signal, the sound cuts out, and my GPU fan rev's up to 100%. There is also a red LED that illuminates on top of my 6970. Next to it is D4000, it says.

Here is what I've done:
Updated to 11.11.
Checked GPU temps (Usually just after playing for an hour or so...never had any way to figure out what it was right before a crash since it is random).
Removed any OC I had on the NB/CPU.

Any help would be great, thanks.

m44matt

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hey Mate

I share your pain...

I too have a HD6970 and i also get this LED on my card... 100% fan, no display etc.
But my problem happens on reboot never when I'm playing a game. i used to leave it off for a while and it would turn on fine but now when i try and turn it on with the card in i get the LED... RAAAAAGGGGEEEEE! There is no description on what this LED means anywhere.

My Rig is:

Sapphire 6970
GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo
6gb corsair dominator ram
Corsair HX-850 PSU
i7-960
etc, etc, etc

I first though it could possibly be a Power supply issue so i took mine out and put a different 850 watt in... no dice, still an angry red led. With that it lead me to believe that it could be a faulty motherboard, so i contacted gigabyte. They said to flash my BIOS to the newest version, Update Mobo drivers, update Card Drivers 12.1 is the newest atm i think, and to update windows... I've done all that but i haven't tested the card yet so fingers crossed!

All i know, is that i tried my card in my mates Rig and it works 110% beautifully...

Sorry i don't have a fix as yet but i will put one up as soon as i find it!

GOOD LUCK!

Jul 30, 2019
I am also have same problem, HD 6970 Saphirre. Red LED D4000, 100% fan speed, error temp reading. The problem occure soon when i am start the computer..

I am not pc gamer, but i use my pc as my workstation for my photograph and videograph bussiness, so it was always run premiere, lightroom and etc..

I am also try to replace thermal paste, thermal pad for each chipset (vram), but no joy

I7 920
P6T Deluxe
12 (4x3) GB RAM hyper x furry, kingstone
Ati Radeon HD 6970 (never OC, stock speed only)
HX850 watt Corsair Profesional Series
Barracuda 500GB
WD 2TB slave

Last edited: