MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II not sitting properly

derp123

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

is not sitting properly in

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

which is in a

Fractal Design Core 3000 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 3 Fans.

It can sit down in the mobo but then it is not flush with the case nor are the screw holes visible/able to be screwed. If it has the screw holes visible and flush with the case then it is not flat in the mobo (at a diagonal) and can not be locked in.

I am unsure of what is causing the problem. It could be the case, mobo or gpu. One thing about the mobo is I do not have every hole screwed to the case but it is just one hole that doesn't screw down so I doubt that is doing it. It almost seems like if one half of the mobo was raised the card might be in position. It also seems like I could unscrew a screw put the card in and flex the mobo to get the card into position.

Please help me isolate the problem quickly as my 30 day Newegg warranty is running out.

When you put the motherboard into the case did you have any problems with lining up the rear I/O ports with the I/O pannel in the rear of the case. I did just have a similar problem with an ASUS MB and a Cooler Master Half-X where the card would be seated all the way in but the gracket wouldn't reach the back to screw in the retaining screw and if I pushed the bracket back it would lift the card partially out of the slot. I ended up pushing the rear of the case in a little to make contact. I have recently replaced the Asus MB with a Gigabyte board and everything sits in fine , so I'm thinking it had to be the motherboard.
In your situation if the rear I/O ports line up ok with the pannel then it could even be the card. Have you tried the card in different slots and do you have any other cards to try just to see how they line up. There are also a lot of screw holes in the motherboard plate on the case maybe you are off by one screw hole.

derp123

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

the card fits in there with the hdd bay in

"the card would be seated all the way in but the gracket wouldn't reach the back to screw in the retaining screw and if I pushed the bracket back it would lift the card partially out of the slot"

that is my problem
I'll double check the mobo I/O and put in another card.

derp123

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I tried another graphics card and it does not sit in properly either. I am unsure of weather the motherboard is in the I/o panel all the way or not, it seems it is as the on board HDMI and USBs work.

TRENDING THREADS