Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2012 4:50:24 PM

Hello everyone.

I am finally building my first computer after looking at parts and begging my wife for the money to do so. Of course, I have had to change parts over the years due to the increasing change in components. I have finally settle on the following

AMD A4-3400 CPU
ASRock A75 Pro4 Motherboard
G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB)
WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA-6G
LG DVD burner model GH24LS70 with Lightscribe support - OEM
Ultra 450W PSU
Ultra case
Windows 7 Home Premium

I am pretty set on how to put everything together and install the OS and the drivers but a few of things that I am concerned about and need some help with.

Number One. Because my system is basically low power with a 65W CPU and no video cards, do I need a case fan. The Ultra case that I have does not have a fan but does have provisions for a 120mm fan in the front and the rear. I was looking at my generic Acer computer and it does not have a case fan either.

Number Two. Because I bought an OEM DVD drive, what software do I need to go with this to watch DVDs? Does Windows 7 have all of the CODECs necessary for a DVD drive to function properly and watch DVDs thru Windows Media Center? If I need software to watch DVDs, is there a good freeware out there? I am very familiar with all kinds of free DVD burning software so I don't need anything there.

Number Three. I have never used a drive with Lightscribe before and this is much similar to question two. What software do I need to be able to use this?

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

More about : years preparing building computer

January 20, 2012 4:59:26 PM

You'll need some sort of airflow in the case, otherwise you'll get a lot of stagnant hot air in the case. I'd recommend at least 2 fans - one in front and one in rear, blowing from front to rear - for proper circulation. Take a look at low noise fans (under 20 dBA) on Newegg. Xigmatek makes some good ones and they're relatively cheap for low noise fans.

I'd recommend software like CyberLink's PowerDVD. I used the version 10 Ultra 3D for 3D Blu-ray and it ran well. The interface is good and pretty clean. It's not overly complicated or confusing.

You need some sort of program capable of lightscribe. Dunno if you need drivers...
Score
January 20, 2012 5:08:57 PM

boiler1990 said:
You'll need some sort of airflow in the case, otherwise you'll get a lot of stagnant hot air in the case. I'd recommend at least 2 fans - one in front and one in rear, blowing from front to rear - for proper circulation. Take a look at low noise fans (under 20 dBA) on Newegg. Xigmatek makes some good ones and they're relatively cheap for low noise fans.

I'd recommend software like CyberLink's PowerDVD. I used the version 10 Ultra 3D for 3D Blu-ray and it ran well. The interface is good and pretty clean. It's not overly complicated or confusing.

You need some sort of program capable of lightscribe. Dunno if you need drivers...

Thank you. I will look at the Xigmatek and anything under 20dBA is good?

Will Windows 7 play DVDs without CyberLink or any other after market software? I only have a DVD writer, no Blu-ray so I won't need to go that high up with the 3D version.
Score
Related resources
January 20, 2012 5:09:44 PM

For a low end system a single exhaust fan should suffice. Having two fans is better of course.
Score
January 20, 2012 7:00:53 PM

N2NIKE said:

Will Windows 7 play DVDs without CyberLink or any other after market software? I only have a DVD writer, no Blu-ray so I won't need to go that high up with the 3D version.

Windows 7 will play DVD's just fine with the built-in Media Player. You may want to try some of the other free players like VLC or the KMPlayer.
Score
January 20, 2012 7:17:52 PM

Those low end Ultra power supplies are absolute garbage. I would stay away. Ulta actually does make a good power supply but it is their high end X3 model. The budget models are trash.

Read the 3 pages about testing the Ultra V series. You can not even sell them in Europe at all because they are so far out of spec.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2371/11

Here is a MUCH better choice. Do not go cheap on a power supply, even on a budget computer. Cheap power supplies can die and kill the whole computer when they do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Even better power supply. The same price with a mail in rebate.

Modular for $5 more. Great power supply.

Here is what you need for Lightscribe.

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/
Score
January 20, 2012 8:31:59 PM

What's your budget?
Score

Best solution

January 21, 2012 10:16:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I will look at the Xigmatek and anything under 20dBA is good?

I was just recommending sub-20 dBA fans because they'll be quiet. 20 dBA is extremely quiet.

January 30, 2012 11:12:33 PM

Best answer selected by N2NIKE.
Score
February 23, 2012 9:38:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!