Sign in with
Your question

What video card company is most popular with gamers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

what video card brand do you go with more Nvidia or AMD?

Total: 65 votes (14 blank votes)

• Nvidia
  • 55 %
  • AMD
  • 46 %
November 22, 2011 2:45:05 AM

This is something I've been wondering about and just for fun I wanted to use this forums as a test. For you gamers out there what video card brand do you go with more Nvidia or AMD? My prediction is that most go with Nvidia but I see alot of high-end Radeon's out there to. This isn't so much about what card you use 6970,570,580,6990) but again what company and why.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 3:01:21 AM

The brands I like from most to a lot.
1. EVGA
2. Asus
3. MSI
4. Gigabyte
November 22, 2011 3:02:49 AM

Again this isn't about brand but which GPU chip you go with. GPU chip's made by Nvidia or AMD. But I do agree with you on that list for the most part, I don't know where I would put Gigabyte though. I'm not overly thrilled with my GA 6970.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 3:04:31 AM

I build AMD machines so it makes sense to use the Radeon cards too. It doesn't matter since nVidia no longer makes chipset drivers, but I just think it makes for a more stable system.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 3:15:30 AM

^ I know I just wanted to be a punk :p  (nvidia, been with 'em since the 90s so Im in for better or worse)
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 89 Î Nvidia
November 22, 2011 3:21:38 AM

I have always gone with Nvidia , because of the unified drivers and they have the best drivers for the games that I tend to play. Also the brand that I go with makes Nvidia cards only not like some that make both. They always seem to be on the ball with releasing drivers and when a game is released the drivers are right up to date.
November 22, 2011 3:34:48 AM

I noticed that. Almost as soon as BF3 came out Nvidia had new drivers for the game to help with performace.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 3:36:18 AM

I'm a AMD man, all the machines I build are with AMD CPUs and AMD/ATI graphic cards. I'm not necessarily a AMD fanboy but honestly what turned me off Nvidia originally when I started building computers were the Nvidia fanboys lol.

I think I just like how well AMD chipsets and AMD graphic solutions work together in system not to mention the bang for your buck. Although I do believe that Nvidia and AMD both make exceptional cards and it truly does come down to personal preference. Especially when you look at real world gameplay either company can produce great cards for any games. I always get a chuckle when the FPS difference is 5 frames in a synthetic benchmark and either fanboy exclaims superiority.
a c 355 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2011 6:24:06 AM

I buy whichever suits my needs. Overall, I have bought more AMD/ATI cards than nVidia cards though. Currently I have a Radeon HD 5850 in my primary rig, a Geforce 9600GT in my HTPC, and a GT 550m in my laptop.

I base my decision on performance, price and power consumption.
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2011 6:32:24 AM

I like and have owned both AMD and Nvidia cards , for me tho from my own experience I prefer the drivers Nvidia uses.

Just wished XFX still made Nvidia cards , they were the best.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 11:27:18 AM

I'm surprised at the results so far. I imagine that most people go for AMD cards as they have the better bang for the buck (and lower wattage for performance) than nVidia. I personally went with nVidia this time around due to CUDA support (dont game much), but I am not exactly a loyal follower of either.

I use to be an ardent fan of ATI, especially back in the days of the Rage Pro cards, and then the later All In Wonder Pro cards. Then I went with Matrox for a while because of their superb multiscreen support (and you could game on a Matrox card back in the day lol). Then I went through a series of cheap cards from ATI and nVidia until my last build with a 8600GTS, which I gave to my wife when I upgraded to a 9800GT, and now my latest build is a 570GTX. But then again, I am not much of a gamer, I tend to buy for features instead of raw performance or benchmarks (so long as the benchmarks are not terrible anyways).
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 11:29:02 AM

I have been using ATI/AMD cards for a few years. Currently run 5850s in crossfire, but starting to feel limited at 2560x1600. I plan to upgrade when new cards come out, and have been entertaining going NVidia just to try the other side (switched from iOS to Android on a whim just to try it out, too).

Always hear the grumbings about AMD drivers (I'm a skeptic that they're quantifiably worse than NVidia's) but wouldn't mind seeing both sides with my AMDs in a second rig to have a more rounded perspective.
November 22, 2011 11:29:27 AM

monsta said:
I like and have owned both AMD and Nvidia cards , for me tho from my own experience I prefer the drivers Nvidia uses.

Same. once i started buying EVGA nvidia cards I couldn't go back to AMD.

Friend who just went from AMD to Nvida also is enjoying nvidia better.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 11:39:51 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised at the results so far.

16 votes so far- really can't expect that to be representative at all of TH users overall or gamers overall. :) 
November 22, 2011 11:52:03 AM

I voted for AMD because, according to most benchmarks, you get more performance per $ than with NVIDIA.
November 22, 2011 12:02:40 PM

rds1220 said:
I noticed that. Almost as soon as BF3 came out Nvidia had new drivers for the game to help with performace.

And this is why I choose nVidia for gaming systems. Almost always quicker with updated drivers ready to go for new release games.
November 22, 2011 3:10:28 PM

I'm surprised with the results so far too, I thought Nvidia would be way ahead of AMD but its closer then I thought. Formata thats one thing I like about Nvidia and one reason why with the next upgrade I might try Nvidia.
November 22, 2011 3:34:38 PM

I have both amd and nvidia graphics cards. I have the amd 5870 card paired with amd 955 be and amd 880g MB. And the nvidia 550ti (which is gifted by my friend). When the amd card is paired with amd system i get a good performance boost than amd+nvidia system. Nvidia cards have a very very good driver support to their cards which is lacking in amd . But still amd cards give more performance per price.
November 22, 2011 3:37:10 PM

I have been a huge fan of ati since the radeon 9800 series, most cards I bought aside from a single power color have worked flawlessly so I have no complaints there. I voted nvidia though because I know a lot of people automatically go with nvidia not because it has better performance but many seem to think it's more stable driver wise.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 3:59:24 PM

Why I like Nvidia here!

- I like the development Nvidia does in areas like 3D Vision. Even Deus Ex:HR that is a AMD 3D engine, today have an official patch to add 3D vision support.

- I like CUDA development, helping in some pretty intensive calculations, fluid analysis, medical, geographic, researchs, finite elements. Acelerators based in this technology too is very nice, like some parallel functions in Adobe CS 5.5 (ripping off some 16-core server CPUs even).

- I like Physx (that's is based in CUDA), it enable developers to easy add physics calculations.

- I like Nvidia unified drivers

- I like Nvidia support to many games (The way it's mean to be played) - Even that some people sometimes say: OMG! Nvidia is the devil!! It pays the developer to make the games sucks in AMD cards!!!
I would say, no. It pays to ensure they focus developing utilizing nvidia cards as benchmark/reference, so it ensures a great experience to nvidia owners. (Batman games is a wonderful example)
In this case I would say Nvidia is paying to ensure that their clients have the best.
AMD do not support games that much (I know about Dirt, and Deus EX only)

- And for all this (I do use Physx, use CUDA in some programs, and use 3D vision, and like when a game is optimized for my card) I don't feel stabbed for paying a pricier card (and it's not THAT pricier) over AMD solutions.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 4:06:58 PM

Whatever is best in my price range. I'll be buying nv next time.
Despite driver complaints from others my experience w/ my 5770
has been flawless issues have been related to the tv.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 4:07:45 PM

This is a really bad title thread. How in the world can a pool give you any answer to the title question?

Someone should rename it to: "Witch company do you prefer, x or y?".

For me the last two cards ware ATI, no AMD yet and before that Nvidia. The reason for ATI lately was low power consumption and higher performance per $ ratio.
November 22, 2011 4:13:18 PM

Amd! Works great, less money. What more can you ask for?

My 5870 is so awesome, there was zero need to jump to the 6k series.

And those (so called) driver issues, I have yet to experience them.
November 22, 2011 4:31:15 PM

ionut19 said:
This is a really bad title thread. How in the world can a pool give you any answer to the title question?

Someone should rename it to: "Witch company do you prefer, x or y?".

For me the last two cards ware ATI, no AMD yet and before that Nvidia. The reason for ATI lately was low power consumption and higher performance per $ ratio.

To late thats the title you don't like it tough..complain about it on a blog.

cobra5000 said:
Amd! Works great, less money. What more can you ask for?

My 5870 is so awesome, there was zero need to jump to the 6k series.

And those (so called) driver issues, I have yet to experience them.

What more can you ask for..better performance at time's, drivers that are better and don't cause trouble when trying to install crossfire. Support drivers for the newest games as mentioned above how Nvidia released new support drivers for BF3 not to long after it was released.
November 22, 2011 5:27:30 PM

I have tried both Nvidia and AMD. I actually have no preference, i just choose the card that fits my budget and performs the best. currently i have a Gigabyte GTX 460 768Mb and im very happy with it
December 8, 2011 7:01:10 PM

rds1220 said:
Again this isn't about brand but which GPU chip you go with. GPU chip's made by Nvidia or AMD. But I do agree with you on that list for the most part, I don't know where I would put Gigabyte though. I'm not overly thrilled with my GA 6970.

Sorry to get off topic RDS1220, I was just wondering how you like your Corsair Computer Case? Again sorry for off topic. :( 
December 8, 2011 7:14:43 PM

AMD = cheaper and finding a second hand card is easier so it seems. Got my 4850 and 5850 half price second hand, and when it just shortly came out!

Also no Driver issues. Just stupid MOBO issues.

Im not cheap lol just poor college kid.
!