CPU cooler that will play well with high-profile RAM

Hubble128

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hello,
I have most of the parts for a new system already purchased. I only need to select a CPU cooler. I have several models in mind, but want to find someone who can confirm whether or not the models I'm interested in will cause a problem with high-profile RAM.

The purchased components include:

Antec P183 case, although internal dimensions are slightly reduced by double-thick Acoustipac insulation.

ASUS P8Z77V Deluxe motherboard.

Intel Ivy Bridge 3770K.

Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB 1866Mhz RAM (2x8GB)

SeaSonic X750 PSU, mounted in the case's lower chamber

It looks like with most tower coolers, I will lose the first RAM slot. This is less than ideal, but not a tragedy as I'm unlikely to need to upgrade from 16GB of RAM to 32. My main concern is I want to make sure that whatever cooler I buy won't prevent a high-profile RAM chip in the SECOND slot.

The coolers I'm considering are the Prolimatech Megahalems, Prolimatech Armageddon, Zalman CNPS10X Flex, and the Thermalright HR-02 Macho.

Does anyone have any direct experience with any combination of the above components, particularly the mobo, cooler, and similarly high-profile RAM?

Many thanks in advance

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
That should be a fine system. You are in the price range of water cooling. They leave your case more open for air flow and you can attach a crow bar if you really want to punish that MB. Those tower coolers hand a lot of weight off MB. The taller the more leverage.

One more thing. The case has the same fans as Antec 300 and 600 with 2 wire 4 pin molex connectors. Replace them with something like N82E16835186033.
These are PWM fans with 4 pin connectors like the MB has. MB can controll speed and they have pass through so another fan can be plugged into the first one and also be run by MB. You could just replace one fan and plug the other into the first with molex to 4 pin fan adapter. If existing ones have speed switch, set it to high for this setup.