Sign in with
Your question

No vsync, I stutter.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2011 4:01:35 AM

Hi everyone

PC specs:

Gigabyte GTX 580 super overclock X 2 (SLI)
2600k (overclocked to 4.5ghz)
12gb Ram
Corsair 1050HX psu
Gigabyte g1.sniper2 motherboard

Something I've noticed across all my games is that without Vysnc enabled, there is a noticeable stutter. It's not a frame rate drop, frames are consistently above 90-120fps in some of the most high demanding games, but without Vysnc enabled there is a stutter. With it on, it is as smoth as silk, locked at 60FPS.

Is this normal? If my computer is able to maintain consistently high FPS, should there be stuttering constantly when I 'mouse look' with Vysnc disabeld? Is this a known issue with monitors that can only achieve 60FPS and thus anything above there will be stutter and I have just answered my own stupid question?

Games notable:
Metro 2033
Just Cause 2
Battlefield 3
Starcraft 2
Minecraft (teehee)
Mount & Blade

Thanks everyone!

Much love.

More about : vsync stutter

a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 4:14:00 AM

Does it actually stutter or does it tear? I'm not trying to impugn your intelligence, I just want to confirm. Games should be smoother without Vsync on, obviously they will tear, but it should feel incredibly smooth mouselooking at 90+ FPS with Vsync off. If you're noticing stuttering, then the only thing I can think of is that you have a virus or are rooted, but then you say that Vsync solves the problem. Has it always been this way with your build in its present configuration?
November 22, 2011 4:20:01 AM

Howdy, thanks for your reply

It definately is stutter. Although screen tearing is a part of it, it'll stutter to the point it can be interpreted it as lag. Perhaps more like to frame skipping, very easy to notice between Vync enabled (silky smooth) and vysnc disabled (stuttering).

This has occured since day one, I purchased and built this computer about a month ago. Definately no viruses being the culprit, fresh installed windows 7. Even slapped it down to 'basic' theme in the hope of saving some memory.

I'm at a bit of a loss :S, not sure how to go by testing what is causing this.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 4:29:41 AM

I really doubt you're getting screen tearing and micro-stutter at the same time. Screen tearing happens when you get so many fps, that your monitor can't refresh fast enough and shows parts of different frames. Micro-stutter happens when you notice a difference between the times frames are displayed in multi-gpu setups, and will be more evident with lower fps, as there is more time between frames. One is causde by high fps, the other is caused by low fps in multi-gpu setups. I've never heard of anyone having both at the same time.

Try disabling hyper-threading on your cpu to see if that helps with your graphical issues.
November 22, 2011 4:45:04 AM

hapkido said:
I really doubt you're getting screen tearing and micro-stutter at the same time. Screen tearing happens when you get so many fps, that your monitor can't refresh fast enough and shows parts of different frames. Micro-stutter happens when you notice a difference between the times frames are displayed in multi-gpu setups, and will be more evident with lower fps, as there is more time between frames. One is causde by high fps, the other is caused by low fps in multi-gpu setups. I've never heard of anyone having both at the same time.

Try disabling hyper-threading on your cpu to see if that helps with your graphical issues.

Thankyou for your reply.

In the sense that if my monitor is displaying only 'parts' of different frames as it cannot refresh as many, does this mean it situations such as mine; the display will actually look 'smoother' with vynsc enabled. It's an obvious answer I know, but in my past computer setups and indeed over the internet, high frames and vync disabled should result in a very smooth game experience (mostly noticeble when I 'mouse look).

But because the frames are now 'too high' for my monitor, would you say that this may appear as 'lag and stuttering' as opposed to it on?

I dont mind having Vysnc enabled, it looks very smooth as behaves as should; my concern was only there being a problem with the GPU's or other component that are affected by high frames and thus a higher GPU usage. But in this respect and granted the monitor is the culprit; one shouldn't worry and purchase a 120hz monitor :) 

Thanks guys, it is a silly question and I suspected to an extent the monitor; just hoping to clear up if Vysnc off can actually hurt a gaming experience due to it not being able to as you said, refresh fast enough and thus may result in a 'stuttering / lagging' display.

Thanks guys!!!!

November 22, 2011 4:52:09 AM

Lol, i'll simplify my blabbering above...

Basically what I was hoping to understand; I know screen tearing appears when vysnc is off, the lovely lines in the middle of the screen etc...My wondering is if a 60hz monitor such as mine, can be affected my high frames with vsync disabled and thus cause 'stuttering / lag' effect. With vysnc enabled the 'smoothness' of a game is significantly higher as opposed to vysnc disabled which makes it VERY much less smoother, despite the consistently high frames.

Cheers!!!
!