Replacement MB/CPU won't start

trombe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I had a system I built with a Gigabyte motherboard and an older Intel Q6600 CPU. It was giving a few problems so I bought an Asus P8 Z68-V Pro MB and an Intel I5 2600 CPU and Crucial DDR3 2GB sticks (2 of them).

I'm using the same Power Supply I had before, a OCZ 600MXSP

Got everything back together and pressing the power ON button makes the CPU fan come on and the red CPU LED on the motherboard come on for about a second the light goes off and the fan stops. The few other lights on the motherboard stay lit. I've read other threads on this and tried several things and nothing changes.

Right now the ONLY things connected are the 24 pin Power connector, the EATX 12 v power connector, and 1 memory stick (plus the CPU and Zalman fan.) Still only a 1 second start.

I should say the only unusual thing to me was that although I'm absolutely positive the CPU is in correctly (right corner, notches align, etc.) the lever on the ZIF socket that pushes down to hold the CPU in place seemed to take more effort to close than on other MB/CPU things I've done

I don't know what to try next.....

trombe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
OK, after more reading, I pulled the CPU and it appears there are bent pins in the socket.

So the new motherboard goes in the trash. Is there a way to tell about the CPU, or should I just cut my losses and trash that also and put the old motherboard/CPU back?