Intel core i7 2700k vs 2600k

Hello, I wish to exchange my AMD Athlone ll x 2245 MHz processor for the i7 2600 (or perhaps 2700). I am no hardware expert, but would I be able to install this processor myself or would the job have to be done by an expert?
6 answers Last reply
More about intel core 2700k 2600k
  1. You need to ensure that that the current mobo is compatible with i7 2600 or i7 2700. It is not difficult to make hardware changes, provided you take care to discharge the static electricity.
  2. Beethoven said:
    Hello, I wish to exchange my AMD Athlone ll x 2245 MHz processor for the i7 2600 (or perhaps 2700). I am no hardware expert, but would I be able to install this processor myself or would the job have to be done by an expert?

As the previous reply stated, you will need a compatible motherboard to change processors. Intel CPUs cannot be used on AMD mobos. So chances are you will need to replace your motherboard to work with your new cpu if you change from an AMD cpu to an Intel cpu.
  3. Beethoven said:

The jump from AMD Athlon II x2 245 to i7 2600K or i7 2700K is huge & expensive ( the processor is ~$300 + you need to buy a new motherboard ~$120 ). It is not a matter of unplugging the old processor & plugging the new one because the intel i7 will not work with your AMD motherboard as stated above. Its a big job. Are you sure you need such upgrade?
    Anyway, why do you want to upgrade? Do you find your computer slow at doing everyday tasks or you are not happy when gaming?
  4. Since you will need a new motherboard, this will entail rebuilding your entire system. In turn, you need to check which of your existing components are compatible with the new motherboard and buy new ones where not. If you're not comfortable doing this, you can get an expert to do it or buy a new computer.

Most people who post on these boards will tell you that building your own computer is easy and fun. All you need is:

- patience: make sure you have fully researched what you need, make a list and do your homework to get the best price. Also, when putting your system together, give it enough time. If you're new to building computers you should set aside a day. When you've put everything together, you will then immediately need to put on your troubleshooting brain. The first time you hit the on button is a nervous and exciting moment. It almost certainly will not work, and that will be because of something silly you've overlooked.

- budget (obviously)

- common sense. You don't need any expertise, plain old common sense is enough. Earth yourself to get rid of static, make sure you're putting your components in the right way round. Read the motherboard manual if you're not sure. Don't turn on the power "just to test it" before you install the CPU heat sink. And so on.

Given all the above ingredients, it should go well (unless you're very unlucky)
  5. I can't even quantify how much performance you'll gain doing this upgrade..
    It will be none but HUGE.

Btw, I shall recommend you to watch some youtube videos to see how people makes hardware changes. If you feel confident. Go for it!

EDIT: Another thing to think it's if you really need this CPU.
    What shall will be your use? Which softwares? Which games?
  6. You really should do some reading and research for yourself. It shows that if you're asking questions like these then you have some learning to do and you need to educate yourself with some basic knowledge first. This site is full of useful knowledge, almost like a one stop shop for everything you will need to educate yourself with. If and when you decide to take the plunge, here is a good step by step guide to building a pc. And its updated regularly, it may not be up to the day with the latest and greatest but it is certainly relevant none the less.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

Cheers
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel i7 Processors Intel Components Product