2500k+Wait for haswell, 3570k now...or

Mathias90

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Okay so I am planning on getting a new build up an running (I posted it in the new build forum) within the month and am at a crossroads here. I keep reading about really high temperatures form overclocking ivy bridge.

I want to do some mild overclocking, the kind you can run 24/7 with air cooling like the noctua nhd14.

So my options are get the 2500k and wait for haswell/new ivy chips with better overclocking or...
just grab ivy now.

I have no current parts now, so I would like some advice here in regards to overclocking and CPU temps and whatnot.

Haswell is a year away, and theres no guarantee it will be an improvement over Sandy. And under the best of circumstances, I can't see how it would possibly be a 20 percent improvement over Sandy (Hell Ivy Bridge was barely 6 percent- and the chips run stupid hot for the trouble when you overclock them- I don't even give Ivy credit for being an improvement over Sandy AT ALL), even if Haswell does manage to pull off a 20 percent improvement (which I doubt), this gap could easily be closed by the overclocking potential of the 2500k.

I throw out the 20 percent figure because Intel originally said Ivy would be 20 percent better than Sandy (which turned out to be nowhere close), I don't know what Intel is claiming Haswell will be, I'll have to look into it.

Mathias90

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
So for someone building a system now with the intention of some mild overclocking pretty much 24/7, what's the better chip? 2500k? 3570k?

Either way I'll be waiting to see if Haswell will be worth it, but it will be a bigger jump from 2500k than 3570k, no?

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
2500K wins hands down...you can comfortably overclokc 4.5 GHz in a click without any stability or heat worries with a nice after market coolers like Noctua NH-D14, Corsair H100 or Cooler Master Hyper 612.

Devastater6194

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Ivy Bridge is okay heat wise up to about 4.5ghz. After that it heats up really quickly.
So if your happy up to 4.5 then ivy bridge is best bet as it will beat ssandy bridge clock for clock (all be it not by much.) But at the end of the day Haswell will be on a different socket so it doesn't make much difference anyway.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

There is a review at Tom's that suggests an overclocked iB would be warmer by about 7 - 10 deg. You have to live with that if you want to overclock the IB.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,review-32428.html

Mathias90

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I would honestly grab the 2500k right now if I could get the amazing microcenter deal they have going for it now, but that's in store only and no microcenters nearby. Right now I seem to be able to get 3570k for cheaper now than 2500k in the online retailers I've seen.

You really don't want to order online from Microcenter. At least my experience with them online vs in store was 2 totally different experiences. Online, they were inept, had my order "processing" for a week, called them up.. useless call center and they hit me up with shipping and sales tax for the trouble, vs Newegg and Tigerdirect who don't charge either and ship things much faster. I did go into the Rockville, MD MicroCenter once, they were fine.

willzzz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I would say get the Ivy-Bridge, you can overclock to a moderate amount, 4.5ghz say, before temperatures get out of control.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge

Even if you only overclock a 3570k to 4.3ghz that should still beat a 4.5ghz 2500k assuming the average 6% improvement.

Consider how far you really need to overclock, what are you going to be using the machine for? Do you just want an overclock to impress your friends or does it make a tangible improvement to your computing experience?

Thats true. None of us really asked what the OP is planning to do with his/her computer. For gaming, you stick a powerful video card like a GTX 580 and even the lesser Phenom II at stock is going to max out your monitors framerates. If you're going something that needs the CPU power like heavy video editing and video encoding, then yea the overclocking potential is going to count.