Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Record pc game with a capture card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2011 7:23:29 AM

i'm wondering what is the solution to record full hd/sound full screen of a PC gameplay without having the slightest lag from it, obviously software recording like fraps will give you tons of lag, so i wonder maybe a capture card? but i'm not sure which one i should buy since most of them are used for TV/ps3/xbox recording.

i want to record some bf3 footage, usually i get about 100+fps in game but fraps brings it down to 45ish which to me is unaplayable...
November 22, 2011 7:53:45 AM

Fraps take 10-25% off your fps. Its still the best solution.
November 22, 2011 8:16:53 AM

are there any solution that doesnt take away any fps?
Related resources
November 26, 2011 4:24:51 PM

My opinion: Fraps will take away some fps but does not create any lag... at least not on my system. It is definitely hands down the best and easiest way to record pc gameplay. I have plenty of cash and I went with Fraps. I'm surprised to hear that Fraps decreases your fps by over 50%.
November 26, 2011 4:27:19 PM

To clarify what I meant by "I have plenty of cash and I went with Fraps"... I considered and could have gone with more expensive options but chose Fraps which was cheaper and better (for me).
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 5:40:46 PM

I use FRAPS myself
but
theoritically if you have a GPU with S-Video out and a TV Capture
with S-Video in you could possibly record your direct video output

The capture software should just see it as another input

but when you are recording the monitor video capture you could lose FPS due to CPU usage
though usually TV capture cards have their own M-PEG hardware encoder/decoder to lessen CPU load

there still is a chance that you could lose FPS with TV capture
and it is cheaper to go with FRAPS
if you dont have the necessary hardware already
I have a minimal gaming system (Core2 Duo 3ghz/HD 5670) and FRAPS doesnt lesen FPS for me enough to really notice

(FYI I use a ATI capture card for cable tv and vcr-dvd conversions)
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 6:16:33 PM

if you want to record video only then you can use msi afterburn with minimal loss of fps and is free
December 1, 2011 10:47:25 PM

chefjc said:
To clarify what I meant by "I have plenty of cash and I went with Fraps"... I considered and could have gone with more expensive options but chose Fraps which was cheaper and better (for me).

what are the more expensive options?

and when you guys record with fraps, you set ur video fps to what? 100fps? because if you set at 60, it will bring ur game to 60 fps when you record, which is annoyingly laggy...
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 10:57:49 PM

there is now way the OP should be going from 100fps to 45ish because of FRAPS
it doesnt rob FPS that bad
it only takes about 5 FPS off when I use
OP check your settings in FRAPS
sounds like you are doing something wrong

also if money is not a concern
get a second GPU to run in the second PCIe slot
make sure it has Svideo out
then get a TV Capture card with Svideo in

then just record with the video capture
with a 2600k OCd it isnt going to slow the game down noticeably
and BTW nobodys eyes are good enough to notice the difference between
100FPS and 60FPS
not scientifically possible
regular video is 29.97 FPS
and in games once you get over a steady 40 FPS the human eye just cant see the difference between 60fps and 100fps
Basic Biology 101
brain cant process it
December 1, 2011 11:06:52 PM

king smp said:
there is now way the OP should be going from 100fps to 45ish because of FRAPS
it doesnt rob FPS that bad
it only takes about 5 FPS off when I use
OP check your settings in FRAPS
sounds like you are doing something wrong

also if money is not a concern
get a second GPU to run in the second PCIe slot
make sure it has Svideo out
then get a TV Capture card with Svideo in

then just record with the video capture
with a 2600k OCd it isnt going to slow the game down noticeably
and BTW nobodys eyes are good enough to notice the difference between
100FPS and 60FPS
not scientifically possible
regular video is 29.97 FPS
and in games once you get over a steady 40 FPS the human eye just cant see the difference between 60fps and 100fps
Basic Biology 101
brain cant process it

ill check out see if somethings wrong with my fraps, other than that what fps do you get before and during recording of a game? and which game.

human eye cant see above 60fps doesnt mean you dont feel it, i can tell the difference between 100fps and 120fps, its all about what your body is adopted to.
December 1, 2011 11:19:00 PM

Could anyone explain why when i put fraps onto 100fps my game when recording gives out amazing performance, but when i put fraps onto 30fps or 60fps it brings it down, and i get 15fps. It is very confusing....
January 4, 2012 2:54:04 AM

ibanezrg2550 said:
...i can tell the difference between 100fps and 120fps...

You're flatout lying. I guess you would also have people believing you're superman.

Several tests prove otherwise.

Sorry.
January 4, 2012 12:00:08 PM

im sorry, do u even have a 120hz monitor? obviously you dont, are you even good at games? obviously you are not, so dont tell me I'm lying, go ask someone who's been playing on a 120hz monitor and set it to 100hz, see if they can tell a difference, before that why dont you shut your ignorance mouth
January 4, 2012 12:17:08 PM

ibanezrg2550 said:
im sorry, do u even have a 120hz monitor? obviously you dont, are you even good at games? obviously you are not, so dont tell me I'm lying, go ask someone who's been playing on a 120hz monitor and set it to 100hz, see if they can tell a difference, before that why dont you shut your ignorance mouth

Ok here is something i found for you to read

FPS on the other hand is generally a measurement of the output of a video card. the more complicated the scene, the lower the FPS; generally speaking.

While it's true that a higher FPS then your monitors Hz rating is typically useless, higher Hz often makes fora clearer, sharper, more stable picture, so it is not to be ignored

January 5, 2012 7:17:49 AM

ibanezrg2550 said:

I have a 75Hz monitor and cannot tell a difference past 60fps. From 60fps to 75fps it looks the same.

Am I to believe that you can tell a difference at double the point I can?

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's...Superman!

No, it's self delusion.
January 5, 2012 1:17:23 PM

Fraps plain out sucks for recording compared to Dxtory... Much less hit using this proggie.

Try it and thank me later :p 

ALSO... if you want even less of a hit from any recording software use an SSD drive.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 1:26:39 PM

thank you very much fah_q
I was giving up hope on this thread with the childish bickering
that is some really good info
If I was the OP I would seriously be considering you for the Best Answer :) 

BTW nice rig you have-great choices on components
January 5, 2012 2:57:09 PM

king smp said:

I was giving up hope on this thread with the childish bickering
I simply posted facts, and was blown up on.

And fraps is by far and away the best way to record games.

king smp said:
...If I was the OP...
You mean the one who has been doing all the childish bickering?
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 3:13:24 PM

Hee hee yeah LOL
If the OP thinks they can see a difference
whether they really can or not
their perception of their system and how it runs is their own business
if the games dont look good to the OP
doesnt matter why
the fact is they dont look good to him
I personally dont think that at higher FPS anybody can really tell the difference
the human eye and brain just arent set up that way
but if the OP doesnt like the way the games plays
then that is what matters
I enjoy games at 30FPS
but also I wear thick glasses
and I dont think that AA is necessary at a 1920x1080 res I play at
really with new games with the improved graphics and at 1920x1080
AA isnt needed like it used to be
but also
that is my opinion
and I could be wrong......
January 5, 2012 4:51:53 PM

king smp said:
Hee hee yeah LOL
If the OP thinks they can see a difference
whether they really can or not
their perception of their system and how it runs is their own business
if the games dont look good to the OP
doesnt matter why
the fact is they dont look good to him
I personally dont think that at higher FPS anybody can really tell the difference
the human eye and brain just arent set up that way
but if the OP doesnt like the way the games plays
then that is what matters
I enjoy games at 30FPS
but also I wear thick glasses
and I dont think that AA is necessary at a 1920x1080 res I play at
really with new games with the improved graphics and at 1920x1080
AA isnt needed like it used to be
but also
that is my opinion
and I could be wrong......

You are most certainly NOT wrong. AA is a complete waste of resources in 1080p and above. And this coming from someone with a powerful rig who could easily use full AA and still maintain a playable frame rate.

In 1080p, you have literally millions more pixels. The jagged edges are almost completely non-existent when you have so many pixels to render the edges much more smoothly. So I guess in essence, depending upon how you look at it, AA simulates the effect playing in a high definition would do for the jagged edges. So it becomes very pointless to use AA when the definition is very high to begin with, and the pixels are so small that the jaggies themselves are almost unrecognizable to the naked eye. That is pointless to do, but to do so at the loss of performance isn't pointless, that is madness. And stupid. But some people want so very badly to be elitists. They are actually quite pitiful, and I both loathe them and feel sorry for them.

And I also believe that anyone who believes that they can detect a difference between 100 frames being rendered in a second and 120 frames being rendered in a second are at worst lying, and at best, deluded.
January 6, 2013 5:36:26 PM

ibanezrg2550 said:
i'm wondering what is the solution to record full hd/sound full screen of a PC gameplay without having the slightest lag from it, obviously software recording like fraps will give you tons of lag, so i wonder maybe a capture card? but i'm not sure which one i should buy since most of them are used for TV/ps3/xbox recording.

i want to record some bf3 footage, usually i get about 100+fps in game but fraps brings it down to 45ish which to me is unaplayable...

I also was shopping for a capture card and read this entire thread to see what input was given. It's sad that nobody suggested a single capture card, but instead the thread degraded into something else....
anyway, I have come across this card from AVerMedia that might be worth a look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:49:29 PM

I did suggest a capture card earlier in the thread.
I didnt know about the gamer capture card you linked.
nice find
!