Sign in with
Your question

I7 2600 (Not K) Bottlenecking GTX580 1.5GB?

Last response: in CPUs
May 3, 2012 1:28:47 PM

That's it.
Is my stock 3.4 i7 2600 (non-K) bottlenecking my video card? I get an sttutering while playing as you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGleBPcbJU&list=UUrLL_P... and also i don't fel the game runs as well as on 6970 ATI card.
Thanks for your opinions.
a b à CPUs
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 1:31:54 PM

Disable the HT and see how it goes.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 1:32:04 PM

make sure your not running out of ram. my pc doesnt that sometimes due to a memory leak.
Related resources
May 3, 2012 1:35:36 PM

@ilysaml I did it already but i can't see too much difference disabling hyperthreading, the lag is there, maybe is less or maybe is a "i want to you go off", but is there, HT do not solve that feeling for me.

@cbrunnem Well, i think i have enough RAM, my specs are:

Mobo P67A-G43 MSI
8GB 1600 Corsair vengance in dual channel.
i7 2600
GTX580 1.5GB Superclocked
Thermaltake Frío CPU cooler

Thanks for help me.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 1:38:23 PM

Could it be that you run out of Vram? When your computer runs out of vram, you get stuttering and frame tearing.
May 3, 2012 1:43:53 PM

@De5_roy Already did that, but still when i am playing as chopper gunner.

@Rockdpm How to know that and how could i fix that? Getting another video card?
I supossed GTX580 was good enough for this game :/ 
May 3, 2012 1:53:11 PM

What settings are you playing on? I have a 3GB 580 and it runs without lag using around 1.7-1.8 of VRAM when playing on ultra (X2 MSAA) at 1080p.

And your cpu is better than mine. I have a i7 860 @ 4GHz.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 2:01:38 PM

cm17x said:
@ilysaml I did it already but i can't see too much difference disabling hyperthreading, the lag is there, maybe is less or maybe is a "i want to you go off", but is there, HT do not solve that feeling for me.

@cbrunnem Well, i think i have enough RAM, my specs are:

Mobo P67A-G43 MSI
8GB 1600 Corsair vengance in dual channel.
i7 2600
GTX580 1.5GB Superclocked
Thermaltake Frío CPU cooler

Thanks for help me.

i have the same amount of ram and it still happens to me. it starts around 90% usage.
May 3, 2012 2:09:58 PM

@evilsooty I'm playng with these settings:

I've test them in low and the same.
About the VRAM, not sure how much it spend when playing. I'm dissapointed

@cbrunnem Sorry to read that, then i think is a problem with the game or our cards are weak.
a b à CPUs
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 2:14:26 PM

@OP
Do you have the latest nVidia drivers? If you enabled V-Sync turn it off, and if it's off turn it on and see how it goes.
May 3, 2012 2:18:09 PM

@ilysaml Who is OP? Anyway, it happens with the last WHQL drivers and still with the new beta drivers, 301xxxx. About the Vsync, i have it disabled. Don't you think this can get it worse?
I'll try anyway.
May 3, 2012 2:18:30 PM

Sounds like a VRAM problem. You can use MSI Afterburner to see how much you are using, but I'm sure pretty much all of yours is being used.

If you lower your settings a bit you will be fine. Nvidia should have made the 580s with 2GB as default, 1.5 is pushing it in some games already. I can get up to 1.9 VRAM on Civ V for example on larger maps.

May 3, 2012 2:22:14 PM

If this is about Vram, i'm screwed, i would bever get a weak video card, indeed, i think it was enough. I just bought this piece of "xxxxx" for this game and now i cant get a succesfully experience.
May 3, 2012 2:25:09 PM

Your card is great. It's just that in some games you won't be able to put everything up to ultra.

Try turning down some settings until the lag disappears. I can't tell the difference between ultra and high.
May 3, 2012 2:36:29 PM

As i said before, happens also in low.
I'm almost crazy and really angry about that problem, i dont know who to blame, if my hardware or the game.
Thanks for help me.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 2:39:33 PM

Looks like Vsync lag or Ping lag to me. Might also be your hard drive - do you have an SSD?
May 3, 2012 2:39:42 PM

Oh, missed that bit about happening on low as well. Weird - that wouldn't be the VRAM problem then; VRAM will only become a problem on ultra.

Turning off hyperthreading is the only thing I can think of, but you have already tried that. I had terrible rubber banding in BC2 that was solved by switching it off.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 2:54:52 PM

Comrades here have pretty much covered the hardware aspect of it, and partially driver related.

I will recommend doing a restore point to an earlier, early version if you can afford it. Or even a fresh install, at least you'll know for sure.

I'm guessing it's software related. Perhaps look into your task manager and see if nothing out of the ordinary is increasing/hogging the system.

Edit: With your comment on the 6970, are you comparing to another video or have you previously had this gpu in your system?
May 3, 2012 3:03:05 PM

@jessterman21 NO SSD and thats a big deal, but my brother haven't SDD either and he is running it with ATI 6970 as a charm, so, ssd cant be the problem.

@evilsooty Disabling HT doesn't fix it for me, i can see the annoying lagg.

@boju I've already format the whole system yesterday, nothing solved.

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 3:18:58 PM

hmm weird. What could it be, it has to be something simple.. Your system isn’t crashing and doing all sorts of stupid things so it couldn’t be anything dyeing on you. Perhaps loosen some screws on the motherboard just maybe something here.

I would consider trying your brother's 6970 as a last resort. I know it’s a fair bit of monkeying around so i'm not suggesting this lightly.
a b à CPUs
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 3:22:26 PM

Hmm that definately is weird , what are your temps like?

What psu are you running?
May 3, 2012 3:31:52 PM

@boju No, i bought this system just for play BF3, i dont even have AV!
About test my brother's vcard, he is a di*khead, so, i doubt he will take this off and well, too much work. It works on his computer, thats all.

@monsta No Temps, i have cooler for my CPU and its not turning off, nothing. The lag just appear when playing as chopper gunner.
Im fine of PSU, Corsair TX850
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 3:36:49 PM

BF3 SP kills GPU's. Its really that simple.

That being said, I have no problems maxing BF3 with a 570. No obvious stuttering on a 2600k...
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 3:37:39 PM

ok i know this is frustrating times for you so here goes. It's time to do some benchmarking find out if it 'is' your system or the game. You'll find out and head in another direction to solve.

http://www.futuremark.com/

May 3, 2012 3:47:10 PM

@gamerk316 It should be that simple, but i have 580 Superclocked by stock and your Vcard have less ram than mine. My processor is 2600 non K but still being over the average. So, why can you run it on Ultra without stuttering while gunner meanwhile i get that horrible thing? Thats odd.

@Boju I0ve ran 3Dmark6 already, but i have not problem running furmark. Just tell me what i should show you and i will.
Thanks all you guys for help me out.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 3:56:24 PM

cm17x, alright it seems to me you’re ok with your system. Have you had a look at your sound device settings? Perhaps there are known problems with Bf3 and sound and poor performances during certain scenarios in game? Ingame or system sound settings etc.

Other than that I’m out of ideas, only other thing i could suggest is look for any settings within Nvidias control panel to enable/disable settings Bf3 might be having problems with.

Possibly it might seem video related, it just might not be.
May 3, 2012 4:06:34 PM

@boju I got this on 3DMark06

Days ago, if i remember clear, i got 25000, but thats not too much. Anyway.
About the sound, well, im not getting any issue with that on normal PC ussage or game.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 4:33:49 PM

Sound may still play fine, but could still impact on visual performance. It does happen, bf1942 was a prime example of that and ea's incompetence back then. I wouldn’t put it pass them now. Anyway, its something to think, ya never know.

Your score is fine, there’s nothing to be concerned about. It’s normal for a computer to degrade slightly as system resources are being allocated to various software and devices. If it were the difference of 5000+ i would be worried.
May 3, 2012 5:07:39 PM

@boju Well, but, how to know if the sound cause specifically stutter or lag just when you are gunnering? Sometimes im not shooting neither when that happens.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2012 6:19:57 PM

I remember the devs of BF3 said that the highest settings are only for people who have SLI or CF GPU set ups (this was before the 79xx and GTX 680 were released). In the same blog they said the minimum they would recommend for Ultra is a 560 Ti SLI. That's what I had at the time and I can tell you that I found the performance unacceptable.

Given that the 560 Ti SLI is about 20-30% more powerful than a single 580, I would regard the latter as under powered for this game on the highest settings. The solution would be either to get another 580 and SLI it, or get a 680. Or just accept that you cannot run at the highest settings.

I've since upgraded to a single GTX 680 and it runs smooth as silk.

Your CPU is absolutely fine.
May 3, 2012 7:42:16 PM

@bwrlane Cant be, my bro have one single GPU and run it at high, as i do, but without that laggy on gunner chopper. Another friend of mine have 570, again, high everything, no prob.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 7:59:15 PM

cm17x said:
@bwrlane Cant be, my bro have one single GPU and run it at high, as i do, but without that laggy on gunner chopper. Another friend of mine have 570, again, high everything, no prob.

high is different then ultra and your brother can not run the game on ultra and EVERYTHING maxed out at 1080p. sorry there is 100 sources that show that he can not.
May 3, 2012 8:14:20 PM

My mistake, im talking he can run the game with the config i shown, in non case he get that lag.
The point was not if the cards can or not run the game on ultra, the point is the lag or sttutering im getting 'cause i thought there was a bottleneck within my card and processor.
!